Realignment 2014-2016

wths

Six-man fan
Since the UIL is broadening the classes by adding 6A (as far as I know that's still the plan) does anybody have any idea what the cutoff might be? I've heard anywhere from 105-114.5 and that's a huge gap for small schools.

Was talking with a friend today, and although I'm on the private schools side of the street, it's been very obvious that "cancellation" disease, previously a private school affiliction, has spread to our public school brethren.

With that in mind, would it be feasible/better/an advantage to change the primarily 4 team districts to 8 team districts in 2014-2016. Playoff teams could increase from 2 to 4 per district, but at least if you lost a team in a district, it still would be a competitive district. (What you'd do is go from 16 districts to 8; but with 4 teams from each district into the playoffs, you'd still have the 32 team fields in D1 and D2.)

Plus, the larger district minimizes the need to find a lot of non-district games -- in an 8 team district, you'd play 7 district games (which count for playoffs) and 3 non-district games. With the opposite, you chase after additional games and hope you stay healthy enough during those 7 non-district games for the three that mean something at the end of the season.

Old Bearkat":34dbn15b said:
John, John, John,

That makes too much sense, so the UIL will not do that.......

Maybe the monkey on crack with the dartboard will sober up this year?

Nah, you're probably right.

Thanks Leman I wasn't sure if they had done that yet. I think they aren't going to have a choice in a lot of areas with district size, like the panhandle for example, I think there are gonna be some 7 and 8 team districts.

Well they can like 4 team districts all they want but if the number is 104.9 that's going to change some schools around and 4 team districts won't really be an option.

wths":1doa0f1l said:
Well they can like 4 team districts all they want but if the number is 104.9 that's going to change some schools around and 4 team districts won't really be an option.

Even with the number going to 104.9, I don't see a hoard of teams moving from crowded field or from no football to 6 man; my expectation is that it will be closer to a handful (maybe 6-10). I've heard a couple names in the Hill Country area but as I told my contact, I tend to use the advice of the Apostle Thomas on stories like that -- when I put my hands in the wounds, I'll believe. Or as another friend of mine in private schools used to say about scheduling new programs -- he wanted to see the invoice for the equipment before he scheduled them.

And remember, UIL has their new charter school classification plan which moves most charter schools into 3A and above classifications. Although I'm not on the inside, my bet is that the current charter schools playing in UIL 6-man (I believe it is two, Lubbock Harmony and Irving Universal) will not remain in UIL.

Maybe the average district goes to 5 or 6 teams. But it would be interesting if it could work out to eight 8-team districts; the problem would be if either division is much over 64 schools ... you could work in a couple 9-team districts, I guess, and put the bye in district play but those teams would only have two non-district contests before district play starts in Week 2.

Oh, I remember Star said they would not play in 2012 and 2013, but are they thinking of coming back for 2014 and 2015?

freeagent":ab05jrm8 said:
wths":ab05jrm8 said:

Even with the number going to 104.9, I don't see a hoard of teams moving from crowded field or from no football to 6 man; my expectation is that it will be closer to a handful (maybe 6-10). I've heard a couple names in the Hill Country area but as I told my contact, I tend to use the advice of the Apostle Thomas on stories like that -- when I put my hands in the wounds, I'll believe. Or as another friend of mine in private schools used to say about scheduling new programs -- he wanted to see the invoice for the equipment before he scheduled them.

And remember, UIL has their new charter school classification plan which moves most charter schools into 3A and above classifications. Although I'm not on the inside, my bet is that the current charter schools playing in UIL 6-man (I believe it is two, Lubbock Harmony and Irving Universal) will not remain in UIL.

Maybe the average district goes to 5 or 6 teams. But it would be interesting if it could work out to eight 8-team districts; the problem would be if either division is much over 64 schools ... you could work in a couple 9-team districts, I guess, and put the bye in district play but those teams would only have two non-district contests before district play starts in Week 2.

Oh, I remember Star said they would not play in 2012 and 2013, but are they thinking of coming back for 2014 and 2015?
John I think you should be the head zookeeper in charge of the drunk monkeys ........... I like the way you think......... In this regard anyway........

I feel like 10 districts is the way to go. Taking the top 3 which gives us 30 teams in the playoffs. With this years numbers, that is 7 per district in DI, and 6 or 7 per district in DII. The only problem with that is the other 2 spots.

The only options with the other 2 spots is
1) Draw for a bye. 1 team from each region (districts 1-5, and districts 6-10) gets a bye for the first round based on a random draw.
2) Have a wildcard spot in each region. Fill the extra spot in each region with a 4th place team from a district based on one of the following.
a) Have all of the coaches in the region vote on the wildcard spot from all of the 4th place teams.
b) Pick the wildcard spot from the highest ranked team that didn't make it based on either this sites rankings or coaches association rankings.
c) Put all of the 4th place teams in a hat and draw out the luck winner.

oh, and place the teams on the bracket based on a seeding, again using the rankings on this site, or another site, or a combination of several rankings. This would get the better teams playing each other at the right time instead of in round 1, 2, or 3.

I know that this is just a pipe dream, but since we are wishing, I thought I would throw it in there.

techster2000":21utvn9r said:
What day is snapshot?

According to the UIL website, it is October 25th.

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/alignment ... 4-2016.pdf

Schools with an enrollment of 104.9 or lower may choose to participate in Conference A football (six-man football) or may opt to play in Conference AA football (eleven-man football) but remain in Conference A for other applicable activities.

Schools desiring to participate in Conference A may submit enrollment figures by any one of the following combinations of grades: grades 9, 10, 11 and 12; grades 8, 9, 10 and 11; grades 7, 8, 9 and 10; or grades 9 and 10 doubled.

Unless its enrollment qualifies it for a higher conference, a charter school shall have its classification determined by placing it in the conference of the lowest enrolled school from the ISD in which the charter school is physically located.
1. This rule is applicable to charter schools located within an ISD consisting of three (3) or more high schools.
2. Any charter school that is elevated in conference under this rule will receive an automatic appeal to UIL staff regarding their conference assignment. Additionally, any charter school who chooses may appeal the decision of UIL staff to the District Assignment Appeals Committee.

freeagent":1qrtkftf said:
According to Saturday's Gatesville Messenger, Star is currently in consolidation talks with Evant and Goldthwaite and although their Superintendent is doing everything possible to keep the doors open it would take a miracle to make it happen.
Here's hoping for a miracle, but there's no chance they will be playing football. (Unless they get a really, really big miracle)

olderelk":le1fdv80 said:
freeagent":le1fdv80 said:
According to Saturday's Gatesville Messenger, Star is currently in consolidation talks with Evant and Goldthwaite and although their Superintendent is doing everything possible to keep the doors open it would take a miracle to make it happen.
Here's hoping for a miracle, but there's no chance they will be playing football. (Unless they get a really, really big miracle)

I'm sure the state is pushing them to consolidate.

So, as of right now, we gain two (Medina and White Deer) and lose one. (Star) Are there any other of the "outlaw" schools planning on being in a district this year?

Back