Rankings

Superjrj

Six-man fan
It’s evident that there is a big equation figured into all the rankings as the top 20 are all annually in top 20
I understand that tradition is part of that equation but often times those teams are overrated. Several times this year the spread has been totally turned or flipped over by the underdog. I know spreads are only a GUESS on a computer generated number but there hav3 been a lot of flipping the scores Last nite Covington was 10 over Blum n Blum 45s them. Bryson +31 over Saint Jo and Bryson got 45’d after being ranked in top 20 most of year. Understand that on any given nite UPSETS can happen. But those two are an example of some serious flipping and rankings. Injuries illnesses officiating all sorts of excuses will be given but if you research the flips this year it’s something else in play. Maybe tradition is important and The perriennals can get to the playoffs because of weak district but tradition is coveted too much. Just a thought

1) an excuse as to why a team beat you by 2 is not the same as why a team that you were a 30 point favorite and get 45’d. If the best player on the team is on the sidelines in jeans and crutches, I see that as a reason, not an excuse. I usually see the excuses come out when the mediocre team who boasts about beating a team that should have been better than them but had injuries, falls flat in the playoffs. That’s usually when my mean side comes out and I’ll call people out for their boasting statement that turned out to be nothing more than hot air. Probably why some people on here don’t like me much.

2) you got your thinking hat on backwards when it comes to rankings. For those of us who do rankings, the rankings are a result of the games played throughout the season. The season isn’t done yet, so the rankings aren’t done yet. Some teams don’t really play anyone all season until the playoffs, and that’s where we get to see what they can really do, kinda hard to put them where they should be when they fill their schedule with cream puffs and when they finally do get a “quality” win, it’s against a team that is struggling with the injury bug. Not saying they aren’t underrated, but how are we supposed to know that? Yeah, you might know, but you worry about 1 team, 5 at most if you study the teams in your district. We have 260+. So we go by what your team shows on the scoreboard.

Thanks for your opinion and input. But. What criteria is used to create the power rankings? With so many variables private school rankings independents etc. what criteria is used. Metro plex private’s play UIL. WEST TEXAS private’s play UIL. AND lot are cream puffs. But as you said you rank by what a team puts on scoreboard. Lot of lower ranked teams score lots of points and wins with creampuffs but don’t rate.. I’m still wondering just what criteria and the weight of each criteria used to generate that power rating which gives the ranking.

Could careless about rankings . Or the toy . I just would like to know if Richland strawn Borden Calvert oakwood and teams like that alwAys going to start out ranked ? I mean does tradition have something to do where you start ? Because I have seen teams graduate all 6 starters and come back being a top 5 team .

Just my point!!!!! Go back 3-4 yrs and look at preason rankings and compare with today’s. Last year to this year almost all top 20 are still same top 20 regardless of graduation or new players and coaches I know that tradition has to have a heavy weight!! But as the expert says “how do they know” who’s injuried. And the season ain’t over. It’s just a bragging point for some an albatross for some and a nightmare for some. But history of rankings tells us tradition is weighted heavily

I certainly don't know the ins and outs of the rankings.

BUT -- "tradition" in the rankings is likely only a part of the pre-season ranking, if any at all. And even then, it's probably only used to give a baseline to start teams, ALONG with other known information regarding graduating players, coaching changes, etc.

As the season progresses, if a team is overrated, they will fall. Usually pretty quickly. If a team is underrated, they will rise. By this time in the season, the rankings are getting lined up and are reasonably close to where they'll end up at the end of the year.

I would venture a guess and say the traditions at schools has more effect on actual winning and team building than it does on rankings. You may see it as they are always ranked high, so the rankings must be using tradition, but in fact it's that the teams that are traditionally better usually continue to perform better, and THAT is the real reason they are higher in the rankings.

Having played on a team that was 0-10 and seeing teams that are consistently successful, there is a lot of mental differences in those team attitudes. Teams that expect to win, prepare to win, and work towards that usually win more often than teams that expect to lose and may or may not put in the same work.

When I was playing, every time we scored I'd look around for some kind of penalty. It happened so often that a good play was called back that I came to expect that result. If we scored, that meant we must've done something penalty-worthy. In that sense, I feel like we expected to lose. And we did. We had athletes. We didn't have tradition at that time. We would have been ranked towards the bottom, but it was because we sucked, not because we didn't have tradition.

Teams like RS, BC, Strawn, Balmorhea, Milford, McLean (and I'm sure others) -- those kids EXPECT to win each game. They practice towards it. If something bad happens, it's not a "defeating" moment like it was for our 0-10 team. They move on and continue to play, still expecting to win. And they usually do. They have athletes, and tradition. They are ranked towards the top because they win, not because of tradition.

One thing to keep in mind. The mercy rule. Fair or not Granger has programed his toy to only have wins of 45 points or less. This keeps the better teams from running up the score just because of a better ranking. In the end I think that is a good thing, but it could drop the accuracy on the top end just a little. If you notice on his spreads, there is never more than 45 points.

It’s a thankless difficult endeavor and one I wouldn’t cherish having and there has to be a starting point in rankings. Tradition to me means a consistent winning program not just competing and let the negatives consume you. Every school has some tradition as if only for one or two games. Athletes are part of that tradition. Which class coming up wants to be the first losing team? Having that mindset is TRADITION ! The schools annually raked year after year exhibit that tradition. So if tradition isn’t a factor where do you start. As one pac said those power house programs compete every year because they don’t want that stigma of the first losing group

The tradition of the school should count. There are reasons that Milford, Borden County, Ira, Strawn, May, Richland Springs, Gordon, Calvert, Union Hill are ranked high each year, they have schools and communities that support and push football. This is true in other sports also. I would bet that 20 years from now Nazareth girls will be a top 10 team.

In summary.

Rankings suck, this website sucks... I don't care about rankings, it all gets settled on the field in December.

hey, but Granger, we appreciate what you do.

granger":1eg0xpdl said:
In summary.

Rankings inhale, this website sucks... I don't care about rankings, it all gets settled on the field in December.

hey, but Granger, we appreciate what you do.

INDEPENDENTS say Thanks Granger !
Sixman.com is the be all, end all for Independents. It’s how we keep the integrity of our Bowl Series.
EVERY other conference, league etc. has operated at one time or another under the cloud of preference, politics etc.By using the Sixman.com ranking system all those accusations are gone and without merit. Say what you will, for the First time in many leagues, conference etc. history, from the FIRST play of the FIRST game to the LAST play of the LAST game EVERYTHING COUNTS ! It’s probably a better, more accurate and truly representative measure of a teams’ performance over the entire season than anything else and that includes the UIL’s ticket to Jerrys’ world. Using Guru’s system EVERYTHING COUNTS!
Thanks Granger !

I was kind of joking. As I have always said, the rankings are somewhat validated by your schedule. If you play a weak schedule and win all of your games, it is next to impossible to determine how good you are.

Saint Jo is exactly that. They didn't get out of district last year. Coming into the year, you would expect them to be about average. Their schedule was horrid for the first few weeks of the season. Sure they 45'd their opponents but it is hard to tell how good they really are (if you are a computer and you think they are an average team) when you have not played a team in the top-100. Then the Bryson game comes along and BOOM, there you are. A huge jump.

Look at Claude. They have played some really good teams... and been 45'd by each of them. They have played some really bad teams... and 45'd them. The teams they have defeated have a combined 2 wins. How good is Claude? Somewhere between 37 and 231... who knows?

smokeyjoe53":1c875tlk said:
51eleven":1c875tlk said:
They are a point of reference for those non Coaches/Players among us. One which gives us something to talk about.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=coe+wetze ... 20df5b8310
Durn 5111, you have a song for every circumstance............. must be a musical savant..............

Good to see you post Smokey, not seen you do much so this year, hope your well.

Blame it on my Mother. She wanted me to have some sort of musical appreciation and insisted I learn something at an early age. I wanted drums. She preferred I follow her previous piano playing at church. So at six she enrolled me in lessons at the University of Denver. Where I learned to appreciate Boogie Woogie. I supposedly had possible potential.

Then they laughed at me, my own fault. But I didn't want to play piano after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m22EfJOzPys

Do you or goob know, will RS ranking go up instantly when Landon joins the team?

51eleven":3kgey0zc said:
smokeyjoe53":3kgey0zc said:
51eleven":3kgey0zc said:
They are a point of reference for those non Coaches/Players among us. One which gives us something to talk about.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=coe+wetze ... 20df5b8310
Durn 5111, you have a song for every circumstance............. must be a musical savant..............

Good to see you post Smokey, not seen you do much so this year, hope your well.

Blame it on my Mother. She wanted me to have some sort of musical appreciation and insisted I learn something at an early age. I wanted drums. She preferred I follow her previous piano playing at church. So at six she enrolled me in lessons at the University of Denver. Where I learned to appreciate Boogie Woogie. I supposedly had possible potential.

Then they laughed at me, my own fault. But I didn't want to play piano after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m22EfJOzPys

Do you or goob know, will RS ranking go up instantly when Landon joins the team?
I wouldn’t think their rankings would move at all................ unless The Toy is perusing the message boards ........

Smokey Joe, you were pretty good on that piano and you gave yourself a good comment. It’s funny how some people get so upset if their team isn’t ranked and blame Granger. I like the rankings, spreads, and all, but it still comes down to Jerry World in December. I thank that anyone that doesn’t like sixmanfootball should start their own site if they know more.

oldfolks":8t8nfq2l said:
Smokey Joe, you were pretty good on that piano and you gave yourself a good comment. It’s funny how some people get so upset if their team isn’t ranked and blame Granger. I like the rankings, spreads, and all, but it still comes down to Jerry World in December. I thank that anyone that doesn’t like sixmanfootball should start their own site if they know more.
Thanks but actually that was me on the sax........... 5111 was the piano pounder...........

Sorry about that Smokey Joe. I readjusted my trifocals and see I had people mixed up. I stay that way. Now I will have to rewatch the posting.

Back