Strawn 16 v NewCastle 1
Calvert 10 v Milford 7

DallasC. 13 v Abilene Christian 0
BoerneG 12 v Sugar Land Logos 1
Seguin L 5 v SA Castle Hills 1
Waco Live 5 v SA Feast Homesch 2
Stephenvile 7 v Sugar Land HYCA 0

here is what I said this week in case you missed it:

DI Region I - Happy (10-2) v Valley (9-3) – Saturday @Amarillo Highland Park 4:00pm
Happy Valley…no I’m not talking about a place in Oregon or some place in a Disney cartoon…It’s Happy verses Valley, don’t call them Turkey (not even during Thanksgiving week), six-man football playoff game I’m talking about. These two teams more games in their pivotal matchups up in snow capped, iced over panhandle of Texas last round (I’d say last week but in fact both teams played their respected games on Monday due to weather postponements. As far as match-ups go it’s hard to tell who has the upper hand in this game as they seem well matched. Historically Happy has never won a quarter-final game while Valley has won 5, including last year. Incidentally these two teams squared off in week one with Valley winning 46-14. For whatever reason I seem to always pick against Valley and I guess I haven’t learned my lesson…I think the fans of one town will walk away with smiling faces and that town will be Happy.

DI Region II - Crowell (11-1) v Ira (12-0) – Saturday @Jayton 6:00pm
A battle of highly ranked teams in what many feel is the game of the week. Both are coming off epic wins; Crowell off a 6 point, comeback win, over Water Valley and Ira off a 2 point win over Garden City. Ira was able to play their game on time and avoid a weather postponement, while Crowell on the other hand was forced to play their game on Monday making their recovery time and practice time for Ira very short. Ira’s last quarter-final win came back in 1973, but Crowell’s was back in 1959 (11man). Both teams appear to be rockin and rollin right now. This game will decide the winner of the very brutal 6man DI Region 2 and make them the pick of many a fan to win the state title. My pick is Crowell, but as most all the games were in this Region it’s going to be a slug fest.

DI Region III - Abbott (7-5) v Aquilla (7-5) – Friday @Clifton 7:30pm
The best game this week no one is talking about…the age old rivalry of Aquilla v Abbott. This is one of two games this week that will be the rematch of the district championship game. Aquilla played underdog the first time and won in week 10 by the score of 49-40. Both teams are owners of a so-so 7-5 record, but have played rough teams along their respected paths, so don’t let those records fool you. This game will be a good one. It’s hard to beat a good team twice and Abbott has had deeper playoff runs the last few seasons adding to their players’ experience. I like Abbott in the rematch.

DI Region IV - May (12-0) v Savoy (8-3) – Saturday @Springtown 7:30pm
The undefeated May Tigers roll into the quarter-finals undefeated and the highest ranked DI team out east. Savoy in their second season of six-man, has become a poster boy of why struggling 11-man teams should play six-man. All they have done is post an 18-4 record, won 2 district championships, 2 straight Bi-District crowns, and this year an Area title trophy with last week’s upset win over Gordon. May and Savoy are similar type teams with size and the ability to grind out games, but May is more battle tested. I think Savoy’s season will come to an end this week at the paws of the Tigers.

DII Region I - Follett (11-1) v Motley County (8-4) – Friday @Pampa 6:00pm
Follett is the obvious favorite to win this Region from the preseason to present day. Motley County started the year with the prospect of it being a rebuilding year and it blossoming into a contender for the Regional (Quarter-Final) Title with State Title hopes. I like a good underdog but Follett is just to good for me to pick against.

DII Region II - Grandfalls-Royalty (11-1) v Loraine (11-1) – Friday @San Angelo Bobcat Stadium 6:00pm
If anyone had doubts about these two teams they should be cleared up after last week. Grandfalls has had a great defense all season and faced a highly offensive team in Blackwell last week…and held them to just 8 points (57-8). Loraine faced off with undefeated Dawson and handled them without a challenge and ending the game early…beating them via the 45 point mercy rule (60-14). Even after their great win last week I don’t think Loraine can matchup any better with Grandfalls than Blackwell could. I see yet another big win for the Cowboys.

DII Region III - Strawn (10-2) v Newcastle (10-2) – Friday @Mineral Wells 7:00pm
These two teams locked in battle back in week 5 with Strawn walking away the winner by 20 points (74-54). Newcastle has not lost a game since then, while Strawn dropped a close game to highly ranked private school Abilene Christian HS the very next week. Strawn is the favorite in this matchup same as last time…but the Greyhounds are coming off some very easy wins the last few weeks and better not sleep on this very good Newcastle team…if they do they might be picking up basketballs come Monday. I believe Strawn will survive a scare and move on to the Semi-Final round.

DII Region IV - Milford (10-2) v Calvert (10-1) – Saturday @Clifton 2:00pm
A district championship rematch game…and that game was won by a measly point! Milford claimed the district title over Calvert by a score of 54-53 in week 10, and now they face off again in the quarter-finals for the regional title. This is my six-man game of the week for sure! Milford has had an easier time with their playoff opponents having beaten unranked Cranfills Gap 79-34 and unranked Blanket 78-42. Calvert has pulled off two close wins over top ranked opponents having played spoiler to Jonesboro 46-38 and then slaying six-man powerhouse Richland Springs 43-28 with a great 4th quarter comeback win. I still like Milford, but who knows what will happen in this game! O wait…for sure there should be a lot of scoring!

The Winner for this week is......HK...he missed three....Cowboy didn't select some TCAL games....HK missed only two of the original pick 10....

Back