PRE-Season Rankings 13-14

SWRaider":13xzh58o said:
Tomball Christian Home School is no loner in T-Cal, they will play as an Independent.

Actually, they are still in T-CAL, but T-CAL has started an 11 man (aka crowded field) division, which is where they will play in 2013.

Horn keeper, you are way too generous with Borden co. Grady as well as Klondike can beat them this year. Grandfalls will do great if they continue to play low ranked teams. I do take down my water valley team a few more notches down. And just to please my wife, I will say Klondike will beat Borden. But Grady wins division.

Just remember Wonder Dog, do not allow the noxious rants of a select few to taint your opinion of everyone from the WV. That being said, I have to concur with all of your D1 predictions except for one. T-Rock made a believer out of me last year and they are still the top dog until someone proves them unfit for the position. As far as the WV goes, they play one of your D1 top tens (BC), three of your D2 top tens (RL, Follett, and GF-R), and one of your TAPPS D1 top fives (AC), so I guess we'll find out what they're made of early and often.

JAFO":3o0fnsp3 said:
Horn keeper, you are way too generous with Borden co. Grady as well as Klondike can beat them this year. Grandfalls will do great if they continue to play low ranked teams. I do take down my water valley team a few more notches down. And just to please my wife, I will say Klondike will beat Borden. But Grady wins division.
I got Grady at #11, Klondike at # 14.

I kind of feel sorry for Shannon Williams. If all of your expectations for Zephyr is for them to be a top ten team, imagine what the expectations are for the Zephyr fans after reading these posts and the DCTF. It would be hard to live up to those expectations if he was starting out with an experienced group. He is basically rebuilding and I'm sure welcomes the challenge, but too much expectations can be bad for a coach come rehiring time.

I agree with you Leman. I assume you're talking about Savoy (D1) and Blackwell (D2). Savoy will be stacked returning basically everything from last year's 10 win team that got ousted by Gordon. Blackwell went from a darkhorse to a frontrunner with the addition of the Lowry kid from Panther Creek. Jones and Magness proved that they are no slouches last year during football, and proved it even further in one of the best pole vaulting competitions I have seen in recent history at Regionals in San Angelo. I like these two picks, and I think that they are going to make some noise in the sixman community this year.

D1 District 9 is going to be another barn burner I believe there will be some great games in this district, as always I'll be cheering for the Hornets in blue to win there first district championship. Hopefully it doesnt come down to a coin flip again.

You are right about D1 District 9! It went down to the wire last year and may do it again this year. I like Rochelle's chances of winning district this year. People have written them off after they lost the tiebreaker last year. They were the favorite going into that game. Second place will be Santa Anna's to lose. Their spreadback will carry them through most games but Rochelle seemed to have an answer for him last season and should this year. I think Zephyr may be in a rebuilding year but by the time district rolls around they will likely have things together.

Blue Bird":58s0dqj3 said:
I kind of feel sorry for Shannon Williams. If all of your expectations for Zephyr is for them to be a top ten team, imagine what the expectations are for the Zephyr fans after reading these posts and the DCTF. It would be hard to live up to those expectations if he was starting out with an experienced group. He is basically rebuilding and I'm sure welcomes the challenge, but too much expectations can be bad for a coach come rehiring time.

Maybe Shannon can do the rounds at all the Walmarts and stores within a 50 mile run of Zephyr and buy up all the copies before the locals find out ...

Just kidding.

On the comments made about Savoy... It is great for them that their six-man days started off so well. The excitement there is high and rightly so compared to where they have been. They had a great showing last year but thier schedule did not give them much of a test until the playoffs. They faced a middle of the road Walnut Springs last year in round one and squeeked by. Their first really competitive opponent was Gordon who defeated them handily. Savoy has a great future ahead of them but it will be highly interesting to see how they fair against Rochelle in week zero. I am just glad they beefed up their schedule a little.

SixFan19":g5j9318q said:
On the comments made about Savoy... It is great for them that their six-man days started off so well. The excitement there is high and rightly so compared to where they have been. They had a great showing last year but thier schedule did not give them much of a test until the playoffs. They faced a middle of the road Walnut Springs last year in round one and squeeked by. Their first really competitive opponent was Gordon who defeated them handily. Savoy has a great future ahead of them but it will be highly interesting to see how they fair against Rochelle in week zero. I am just glad they beefed up their schedule a little.

Always two schools of thought when it comes to early season scheduling.

Competitive games, even though they are losses to strong programs early can make you stronger when tough district and playoff games come around November and December.

Or, starting off with strong early season wins can build confidence for tough games later. When ol' Al McGuire used to coach buckets back at Marquette in the 60s and 70s, he always loaded up his early schedule with "cupcakes," easy wins (usually in front of packed full houses at the old Milwaukee Arena) ... I remember one against St. Leo's of Florida. For all I know, it was a church CYO team, because if the NCAA would have let Al schedule those games early season he would have. He'd be about 5-0 or 6-0 and then start playing tougher opposition.

Both are excellent strategies but depend on coaching (and scheduling) wisdom to know what situation your team will respond to the best.

As far as Savoy's preseason schedule in 2012, the two easiest teams called us. We took the games because we had no idea how 6 man would work out for us. We had been getting our heads kicked in in crowded ball mainly because of trying to play with 12 or 13 players. We did know we had a tough group of incoming Jrs, a couple of good Srs and a big freshman class coming up. The lopsided wins that came early were exactly what our boys needed to build some confidence, then they started gettin excited and working really hard. The town caught fire for 6 man. We played Fruitvale and won a close one before they got riddled with the injuries that ruined their season. Our schedule got harder as we got a little better. Gordon schooled us on the fine nuances of 6 man like the masterful use of the legal crack back but we are learning our lessons pretty fast. That class of last years Jrs are Srs now and I passed 5 of them today...runnin down the road together. I know we have a lot still to learn about this 6 man business and we may take a lump or two by beefing up the schedule this year but what Coach Wilson does have going for him is a very coachable bunch who are sold out on the program. Win or lose this 6 man game is a lot of fun!

freeagent":2jncnj3l said:
SWRaider":2jncnj3l said:
Tomball Christian Home School is no loner in T-Cal, they will play as an Independent.

Actually, they are still in T-CAL, but T-CAL has started an 11 man (aka crowded field) division, which is where they will play in 2013.

I need to find out how true this is, as they are on my schedule for Week 2.

Why does everyone harp on the strength of schedule. You have to play the teams within a realistic geographic location. Within one hour of us is Calvert, Waco Methodist and Cen-Tex Chargers. That's it. All three are on our schedule. Within 100 miles is Mt. Calm, Oglesby, Lometa, Allen Academy, Penelope, Coolidge, Abbott and Aquilla. Most of which are on our schedue at some point; except Abbott and Aquilla, which has full schedules. You still have to win the games you play. We grabbed Tomball Christian, because they were State Champs in their division, but we can't feasibly justify the cost of travelling to Throckmorton or Gordon to play higher ranked teams. I would love to, but it's not "cost effective".

Strength of schedule is very important. Lets say the best player from Borden co left the team. How would that affect their outcome, or Rankings. Or if one of better players from water valley can't play because of injury. You can't tell me that won't make a difference. Rankings should be evaluated every two weeks before school starts because strange things happen. It's a good way to keep people involved and active here. Even if it means criticizing me.

SixFan19":3ani61aq said:
You are right about D1 District 9! It went down to the wire last year and may do it again this year. I like Rochelle's chances of winning district this year. People have written them off after they lost the tiebreaker last year. They were the favorite going into that game. Second place will be Santa Anna's to lose. Their spreadback will carry them through most games but Rochelle seemed to have an answer for him last season and should this year. I think Zephyr may be in a rebuilding year but by the time district rolls around they will likely have things together.

I bleed the black & gold so I have to say I still think after going 11-2 people still write off little ole' Santa Anna. The boys got got a taste of play off action last season after so many years not of making it and I can tell they want it even more now. I'll admit the spreadback is an outstanding athlete, but one person doesn't make the team. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling Santa Anna will go 3 rounds deep, if not farther. I just can't wait for district to come around to see who the last team standing will be!!!

coachsatcher":2g0gvlhp said:
Why does everyone harp on the strength of schedule. You have to play the teams within a realistic geographic location. Within one hour of us is Calvert, Waco Methodist and Cen-Tex Chargers. That's it. All three are on our schedule. Within 100 miles is Mt. Calm, Oglesby, Lometa, Allen Academy, Penelope, Coolidge, Abbott and Aquilla. Most of which are on our schedue at some point; except Abbott and Aquilla, which has full schedules. You still have to win the games you play. We grabbed Tomball Christian, because they were State Champs in their division, but we can't feasibly justify the cost of travelling to Throckmorton or Gordon to play higher ranked teams. I would love to, but it's not "cost effective".
Actually,
I'd have to argue that playing Throck
isn't cost effective.
They offered to feed and split the gate.
That ought to buy gas at least.

Back