Pidcoke, TX

CT6MFL

11-man fan
This is a small town, near copperas cove that played back in the 30-40's. Does anyone know anything about them? 11M, 6M?

I found an article about FM 116 which runs between copperas cover and gatesville and it talked about a player that went on to the pro level, Clyde "Bulldog" Turner. He went on to play several season in chicago and later inducted into the Football hall of fame.

http://www.texasescapes.com/ClayCoppedge/FM-116-In-The-Shadow-of-Fort-Hood.htm

I did not find a listing for them on LFN for them.

I found an article on Clyde in the gatesville Messenger 1960. The last half of the article was unreadable so I didnt post it.

I tried to find info on them, but no papers I have seen so far ever had scores or stories on Pidcoke, other than the article you just posted. The Messenger's stuff in the Newspaper Archive is very sketchy before 1950.

I may actualy go up to Gatesville and see if i can get the hard copy and a lead or 2.

If you read that article on FM116 there was another town called Stampede that was completly closed when Ft. Hood came into the area. I'm not sure if they were able to support football but I do know they had a school, it was only open for a couple of years.

Looks like he was actually from Sweetwater. He came back to the area later in life.

[/url]http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/b/u/l/Ella-F-Bullard/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0155.html[/url]

Looks like Pidcoke may not have had a football team.

There were articles stating the scores of basketball games between Pidcoke and Turnersville/Jonesboro/Oglesby/Killeen.

I kept searching and found out that Pidcoke merged with Gatesville in 1950. I found an article titled "Pidcoke School
Bonds Paid Off" from Apr 5th, 1957 it stated that Gatesville had written the last check for $3723.50 to pay off the bonded indebtedness inherited from the Pidcoke district. Apparently Pidcoke had $11,000 bond for a school building when it merged with Gatesville.

I'm still looking for sports related info, but probably have to go to hard copy. haha

Back