Penalty inforcement

oldergoat

11-man fan
Was watching a replay of a game from 2 weeks ago. Team B flagged for US at Team B 23 (dead ball spot and dead ball penalty). Official stepped off full 15 yards and placed ball at Team B 8 yard line. Of course Team B coach had a talk with the wing official and after a meeting of the minds (officials) they moved back to the Team B 23 yard line and marked off 1/2 the distance for the penalty. Problem was they only marked of about 8 yards (1/2 of the 15 not half the distance to the Goal Line) and placed the ball at the 15 yard line. Team B coach was happy. Team A coach must not have noticed because he didn't question the spot. Ball should have been placed at about the 12 yard line. Why can officials not learn the simple rules of the game? It is so sad to see the level of officials today. And this was a 6-man game with 5 officials, you would think at least one of them would put in enough time to know the basic rules for penalty enforcement.

Oldgoat, it seems that the only way to resolve this problem with your officiating is for you to join up and start calling games yourself! You could "inforce" the correct penalty for the infractions, and you could be making those big bucks instead of those other ignoramuses!

To Mr. Johnny South. I was an official for 14 seasons. After my first season called mostly only six-man by choice. Worked Jr. High and JV almost every Thursday as well. I always thought that the game I was lucky enough to get to call was the most important and biggest game in the State of Texas no matter who was playing. I called playoff games most seasons and called one state championship game. After 2 knee surgeries (one a total knee replacement) I was not able to continue calling and gave up the big bucks. Those big bucks probably averaged around $50.00 per game but it does pay a little better now. Counting travel time which averaged about 6 hours per Friday night I hated to give up the money (not) because it was never about the money for me. And no I never turned down the paycheck. I did hate to give up the opportunity to be on the field every Friday night. Loved being on the field and getting to know a lot of coaches.

And Jason I have never claimed to be an expert but it is amazing the mistakes I see when watching a game. I have read many of you post about rules and think that you know the rules and are no doubt a very good official. And I would never say I didn't make a mistake, in fact can remember many of them and I think I always tried to be better the next week than I was the week before.

So Johnny South why don't you put on the strips and get out there and call some games.

I'm too old and stove up to start with. I'm too ignorant, and who would I have to blame it on if I was one of the blind mice out on the field!? As Hiden Biden would say, "Come on Man!"

PS - And what would I do with all of that money?

Johnny South":3jqgqw0v said:
I'm too old and stove up to start with. I'm too ignorant, and who would I have to blame it on if I was one of the blind mice out on the field!? As Hiden Biden would say, "Come on Man!"

PS - And what would I do with all of that money?

JS I can relate to "old and stove up" and "ignorant" and "Come on Man" from a lot of fans. Buy a summer house on the lake and a nick cabin in the mountains and now using the left over money for retirement. I wish.

Oldergoat, my statement was not intended to be directed at you. Truth be told it applied to me. Prior to being an official 20 years ago I was a fan. Not just any fan. My uncle, my cousin, and myself would travel to games and we thought we were experts andwe were very obnoxious. I then saw an ad in the newspaper about the need for officials so I signed up. They gave me the rule book and I quickly realized just how wrong I was during all those games where I was being critical of officials.

Jason kind of same story for me. Followed nephews and the kids for years and always thought I knew more than the officials. A friend (I thought) talked me into joining. After I joined the chapter and got a rule book found out how much I didn't know. Glad I did call and wish I could still get up and down the field. But those 16-18-year-olds were always the same age, and we always got one year older every season. It happens. And never thought you were directing comment at me.

Back