Outlaw Bowl

51eleven

Six-man expert
That's what Tommy Wells called it during the Ranger - Strawn JV broadcast. Talking about if they won that night they would be in it. They did along with beating Centex in week 11 47 - 30 to go 6 - 4 in their first year playing sixman football. The article below calls it the independent championship, which Tyler Heat won last year. A public school vs home school game. 2:00 Saturday in Baird. The spread on here is "too close to call".

The difference in the sixman.com rankings between Ranger and Tyler is…….
.04 POINTS! Can you get any closer than that in a game between two teams playing for a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP ?

That's what Tommy Wells called it during the Ranger - Strawn JV broadcast. Talking about if they won that night they would be in it. They did along with beating Centex in week 11 47 - 30 to go 6 - 4 in their first year playing sixman football. The article below calls it the independent championship, which Tyler Heat won last year. A public school vs home school game. 2:00 Saturday in Baird. The spread on here is "too close to call".

I hope that Ranger opts to remain 6 man after this year. It's been a long time since Ranger ever competed in any postseason event.

I hope that Ranger opts to remain 6 man after this year. It's been a long time since Ranger ever competed in any postseason event.
In fairness, outlaw and UIL are vastly different in competition. Many 11’s have dropped played in the outlaw bowl, thought they were going to be great to be 3-7, 2-8 in their next UIL season. UIL 6 man is tough now a days!

In fairness, outlaw and UIL are vastly different in competition. Many 11’s have dropped played in the outlaw bowl, thought they were going to be great to be 3-7, 2-8 in their next UIL season. UIL 6 man is tough now a days!
I agree, and 6 man is tough across the board...UIL & Privates. Even still, Ranger has been the whooping post for decades in 11 man, so even a 6-4 season and an invite to the lonesome Outlaw Bowl is a huge accomplishment for them. It's just my opinion if they stay 6 man, they can build off of this season and possibly become a very competitive team in a UIL district instead of being an Independent.

I think winning in sixman would be a lot more fun than loosing all the time in 11 man. It's a shame they're on the edge of the fence regarding enrollment. One might think with that enrollment they might have the chance to become a dominant Outlaw team. Again, more fun than getting your butt kicked every Friday night. jmo

I think winning in sixman would be a lot more fun than loosing all the time in 11 man. It's a shame they're on the edge of the fence regarding enrollment. One might think with that enrollment they might have the chance to become a dominant Outlaw team. Again, more fun than getting your butt kicked every Friday night.
I think winning in sixman would be a lot more fun than loosing all the time in 11 man. It's a shame they're on the edge of the fence regarding enrollment. One might think with that enrollment they might have the chance to become a dominant Outlaw team. Again, more fun than getting your butt kicked every Friday night. jmo
Absolutely!!!

Being an Independent is no cake or insurance policy to get to our Championship Bowl Series. In the six years we have been operating we have had UIL TEAMS show up expecting to trounce their Independent opponent only to go home disappointed. On the other hand we’ve had teams like Morton and Baird win the State Championship . SOS determines you ranking as much as you W-L record.
This year only .04 points separate Ranger and Tyler Heat. Should be a great game.
Before we established our Bowl Series, the last game of the year was simply the last game, win on lose. Now from the beginning of the season, every play in every game counts towards your playoff rankings. Unlike UIL, There is no 1 vs. 4 playoff match ups.
We welcome our UIL Brothers to play as an Independent when they move down from 11 to 6 man. It gives the kids something to play for and build lifetime memories .
After all most of our coaches are not playing for a new contact. They are coaching because the love the kids and they love Sixman Football.
Give us a look, give us a try!

Being an Independent is no cake or insurance policy to get to our Championship Bowl Series. In the six years we have been operating we have had UIL TEAMS show up expecting to trounce their Independent opponent only to go home disappointed. On the other hand we’ve had teams like Morton and Baird win the State Championship . SOS determines you ranking as much as you W-L record.
This year only .04 points separate Ranger and Tyler Heat. Should be a great game.
Before we established our Bowl Series, the last game of the year was simply the last game, win on lose. Now from the beginning of the season, every play in every game counts towards your playoff rankings. Unlike UIL, There is no 1 vs. 4 playoff match ups.
We welcome our UIL Brothers to play as an Independent when they move down from 11 to 6 man. It gives the kids something to play for and build lifetime memories .
After all most of our coaches are not playing for a new contact. They are coaching because the love the kids and they love Sixman Football.
Give us a look, give us a try!
Just curious about the Outlaw term. Is being in an "outlaw" league or being an independent for teams that yoyo from 11 to 6 like a Ranger? Could Ranger appeal to the UIL to stay 6 man or do the numbers trump any argument?

I really don’t know where or why the term
“Outlaw” originated but as a Director and one of the founders of the Texas Independent Sixman Football Championship Bowl Series we do not recognize that term as a description of our INDEPENDENT TEAMS AND ORGANIZATIONS.
I’ve always found that term used in attempts to disparage or discredit people or organizations.
So please refer to Independents as such. If you find an organization deliberately or intentionally breaking rules or ignoring them all together, then I think the term “Outlaw” might be an accurate term or definition,

I love the idea and concept of this event, always have and always will. Say what you want about it but it is meant for these schools to have some kind of post season and championship. The video broadcast of this is top notch as well!

(not getting into any semantic debate but teams like this have been called "outlaw" for a much longer time than "independent". To me the terms are interchangeable and arguing about it is moot...but like FCSA said they named and put on this event and elected to use the term independent so that's what they use and like... I disagree that outlaw is disparaging in this context. A team/school electing to go out on their own contrary to the standard organization I think that is acting as an outlaw against the norm as well as being independent...thus moot arguing about the two terms here in this context)

I really don’t know where or why the term
“Outlaw” originated but as a Director and one of the founders of the Texas Independent Sixman Football Championship Bowl Series we do not recognize that term as a description of our INDEPENDENT TEAMS AND ORGANIZATIONS.
I’ve always found that term used in attempts to disparage or discredit people or organizations.
So please refer to Independents as such. If you find an organization deliberately or intentionally breaking rules or ignoring them all together, then I think the term “Outlaw” might be an accurate term or definition,
FCSA your vision of this playoff has been a great addition to independent six man football. A real incentive for those newbies in the world of six man. I always heard the term "outlaw schedule" applied to those schools who didn't qualify to play in the UIL system such as Fort Hancock. Of course with all the home schools and private schools increasing in numbers it is probably easier for them to continue to participate in outlaw schedules than to consider joining the UIL. After years of seeing some teams play these outlaw schedules I think it got easier to refer to them as Outlaws which in Texas is a term of endearment since we are still the Wild West and love our outlaws.

Back