Our sport and the dominance of one school.

topher80

11-man fan
*** Disclaimer ***
I spoke with Cowboy about my thoughts and he agreed it to be appropriate discussion. Coach Burkhart, this post is nothing against you or your school. I'd be posting this if Follett, Fort Davis, or even Veribest were in the same situation.

I hope Richland Springs loses this year, heck I hope they don't make the play-offs. Not because I dislike them, in fact I have nothing but respect for the program and all the team has accomplished. I just think it is time for a change. Winning stagnates interest. For example, and I know no one in the US cares about soccer but the top English league has only five different winners in their 21 year history. Three of those five teams have only won it once and it was by a fluke each time. A lot of people have lost interest because they know their team has no chance of victory. We want people to be engaged in six man ball so it's popularity increases and that can't happen when one school (no matter who it is) takes home all the hardware year after year.

Discuss! I'd love to hear all opinions, even those RS fans who are going to be upset with me.

This is not tied exclusively to sports........ it basically comes back to human nature or as one of my good friends likes to say, "The Carnal Nature of Man".
No one enjoys seeing continued success in others or in areas where they have a vested interest.
I could counter your example by saying that the drama of one teams dominance is the anticipation of that team's downfall or defeat.
While we say we are pleased with an individual's success, we are secretly hoping they don't exceed our own interests or success.
I know what we can do......... Let's place a limit on the number of championships a school may win. That way everyone gets a better shot.
I understand what you are saying topher, but just as soon as Richland or Throck is knocked off, the drum beating and wails of dominance await the successor.

First of all, I think you are paying Coach Burkhart a huge compliment. He has success for a reason. There are good athletes at every six man school in the state. One can see that at track meets and basketball games. I think the success of Richland is hugely attributed to Coach Burkhart. Richland Spings ISD is smart for holding on to him. One could argue that it is the numbers the team has, but he really hasn't had as many kids as some of the schools I have seen. It's nice to see a variety win but if it isn't broke, then there is no reason to fix it. Eventually, they will lose a game and may even have a losing season. Until then, the rest of the schools just need to buckle down and find a way to beat him and his team.

Last I checked, they started every game 0-0. Even if you're playing Richland Springs.

And all streaks come to an end. Some quicker than others.

Burkhart and the Coyotes win because they put in the work to win. If anyone is upset about that, they need to work just as hard, or harder than, Richland Springs. It's not magic. I pity those who just sit around crying about how "unfair" it is that one team is successful and another one isn't. I think that's perfectly fair. Those kids that spend two or three hours a day in the weight room every day from January to August, those coaches who spend hours of practice time paying attention to little details, and those families who support those efforts deserve to enjoy the championships. The folks who won't do what it takes to win championships can get their enjoyment from spending all summer hanging out at the pool or watching TV with a bag of chips. But I understand the poster's feelings. I'm not that interested either in following a team that just goes through the motions, loses half their regular season games, and get's 45'ed in the first round of the playoffs. I'm not a RS fan, but after reading this post, I think I've become one.

While Coach B and the coyotes have seen great success. I can remember when it was not so.. Their first couple of years in 6 man I believe they were served a few spankings....... If you look back accross the decades you can always see a shift in success as well as a shift out of success amongst teams.

However, the Coyotes have had the more success than others.

as time moves on their will be another shift...

topher80, there's not much that I can say except......tell your boys to buckle up, buckle down, and come take it.

(I apologize to any other readers for my first post. My Mama always told me not to argue with the weak minded.)

Topher thats the same BS as "I love obama", RS will lose a game someday, but it wont be from some team that says Please mr coyote, we dont like to work hard like you, we cant take the pain like you, were use to our mommies just giving us what we want, so would you just stop hitting so hard and let us be wieners. Your disclaimer SOX..

smokeyjoe53":3rdh5h8k said:
I understand what you are saying topher, but just as soon as Richland or Throck is knocked off, the drum beating and wails of dominance await the successor.
You are right, nothing lasts forever. There are other schools that will have their dynasty years.

swires":3rdh5h8k said:
First of all, I think you are paying Coach Burkhart a huge compliment. He has success for a reason. There are good athletes at every six man school in the state.
Well said! And yes I think Burkhart deserves a lot of that credit for turning his athletes into fantastic football players.

Johnny South":3rdh5h8k said:
topher80, there's not much that I can say except...YOU'RE AN IDIOT!
Funny enough, my wife says the same thing every day...

westexasflats":3rdh5h8k said:
Topher thats the same BS as "I love obama", RS will lose a game someday, but it wont be from some team that says Please mr coyote, we dont like to work hard like you, we cant take the pain like you, were use to our mommies just giving us what we want, so would you just stop hitting so hard and let us be wieners. Your disclaimer SOX..
I never said RS wasn't going to lose. I never said that RS didn't work hard, etc. I think you missed the point of my post. And my disclaimer has socks? I believe the text-speak you were looking for is "SUX".

I agree with topher. I respect Coach Burkhart, Coach Rogers, and the RS players for what they have accomplished. Unfortunately, the continued success of one team can lower interest in the sport.
I do hope RS loses this year - not because they are down, but because another team stepped up their game.

The point of the post is that one team dominance causes stagnation in six man football as it does it all sport. By RS losing this year and a new champion being crowned, it will give everyone a bit more hope that they might be able to win a state championship in the near future.

STRAIGHT SHOOTER":3limxp10 said:
What was the point of your post? Were you suggesting that RS quit being the best they can be for the good of the sport?
No. RS should not change anything. They should continue to give 100%. We are just hoping that someone else steps up and beats RS.

I understand what ya'll are saying and you certainly have the right to that perspective. All I'm saying is that it doesn't matter who the dominant team is; someone should always be trying to defeat the champion. To have a dominant team drop to a lower level in order to even out the playing field does not seem right. Sounds kinda like a dominant team loses rather than another team winning.
There is no doubt in my mind that the 2 hardest working teams wind up each season as champions of their division. If you don't win; work harder, don't hope for the weakening of your opponents.

All good things come to an end, and this run will to eventually. RS has had some great teams, great players, and great success. Being from the otherside of the tracks on hwy 190, I am not a fan of RS but have much respect for what they have done the past decade. If nobody wants to step up and take it from them then they may keep adding to their trophy case. I'm also pretty confident in saying that if your school was the one with 6 titles, you wouldnt be wanting them to slow down and lose, I know I would'nt.

I have to agree with topher.. its the same thing in college ball these days.. nobody wants to see Bama win again except Bama fans. Its hard to get new fans invested when we know who the best team is. Not that Bama (or RS) wont lose, i mean A&M got em last year. Its just that it doesnt seem to matter because at the end of the year they are playing for the title and usually crushing their opponent. I agree with the other post.. I hope RS loses but not because they are in a down year but because some other team was hungrier for it. Which will be difficult, because the Coyotes are about as hungry as they come.

You no me..haha

I hope both state games comes down to high winds, rain and field goal.

ohh dont forget the cold. :)

ahhh the memories it will make.

Johnny South":1e3qvoxp said:
CowboyP":1e3qvoxp said:
I agree with topher.

Cowboy, I thought you had better sense than that. You are also... AN IDIOT!
You obviously didn't read the rest of my post. I want RS to lose BECAUSE ANOTHER TEAM STEPS UP THEIR GAME. I hope RS continues to work hard and continue to play at a high level. That way the team that beats them will have EARNED THE WIN.

Cowboy, re-read my post. I deleted the part about you being an IDIOT. That just wasn't very nice of me to name-call.

And by the way, I can't believe, you and Topher80 are actually wanting someone to lose. I thought you wanted everyone to be a winner and take home a trophy!

Back