On the move

Texman301":29eir2ow said:
I believe poisonous new admin are causing many to run for the hills.
Prolly.
What we need
is a coach/teacher who has worked his way up and earned his Sup/Pric cert who can shape his school into the model of culture, tradition, and discipline that we can all aspire to.
If only, if only...

Add Nazareth
- Stanaland (Nazareth) to Rotan, he even brought the mop, broom, and vacuum to clean house.

Add Coolidge
- this will be official very soon -

I'll tell you what, it is pretty pathetic the way a lot of these guys change jobs just about as often as I change my drawers. It"s no wonder why they very seldom win. They don't have time to develop a winning program and job-hop at the same time. imo

Johnny South":2c9y3jet said:
I'll tell you what, it is pretty pathetic the way a lot of these guys change jobs just about as often as I change my drawers. It"s no wonder why they very seldom win. They don't have time to develop a winning program and job-hop at the same time. imo

You could also flip that:

I'll tell you what, it is pretty pathetic the way a lot of these SCHOOLS change COACHES just about as often as I change my drawers. It"s no wonder why they very seldom win. They don't have time to develop a winning program and interview at the same time.

Just to be a little curious here, what percentage of these moves were from the school firing the coach, and what percent of the coaches quit their jobs? My guess would be around 90% of the coaches quit, as compared to around 10% of the schools firing the coaches. Anyone have stats to correct my guess?
If a guy wants to jump the fence to the proverbial greener pasture, he can always come up with a dozen good reasons to quit.

I know one for sure was because he was told by the new supt that he was not coming back.. The coach had absolutely no intention of leaving.

The Bottom Line":2ezko51c said:
Johnny South":2ezko51c said:

You could also flip that:

I'll tell you what, it is pretty pathetic the way a lot of these SCHOOLS change COACHES just about as often as I change my drawers. It"s no wonder why they very seldom win. They don't have time to develop a winning program and interview at the same time.

Both scenarios happen every year.
Anothef cool stat to know would be how often does this happen in 5A or 6A?
Or is it a smalltown problem.
Good luck to all guys moving.
I love my new parent-free high paying job. Ha.

A lot of folks don’t understand the importance of the community backing a coach. Whether a coach chooses to leave or stay really depends on the community behind them. I think that it is somewhat of a small-town problem. A lot of people are in the coaches ear as well as the school board. You won’t see near as much community turmoil in the larger divisions.

One problem is that you have the same coach for almost everything, so the problem seems to "compound" even when it really doesn't. They (parents and kids) get tired of seeing you and vice versa. They have one problem with you, it carries on throughout the year. Where as in bigger schools, they have the same problems, just see the problem a lot less.

Also, people in small towns have a feeling of

"Do you know who I am?"
No, and really does it matter. (is the answer that should be given because it should never matter
"When I was in school..."
Really, we did things different when i was in school too, just trying to make us better.
"Coach use to make us..."
Yeas, Coach also didn't get sued like parents will today. Sorry that this isn't Junction, TX or the 1940's. Parents suck these days and don't believe in the same accountability that we did.

Big schools, you don't get nearly as much of that. Everyone once in a while, but not daily.

A lot of the small towns have way too many chiefs and not enough indians. I've witnessed it first-hand, and it's not pretty. Ultimately the kids are the ones that pay the price when they end up with a new coach every year or two.

speedkills":ko73vp6k said:
A lot of the small towns have way too many chiefs and not enough indians. I've witnessed it first-hand, and it's not pretty. Ultimately the kids are the ones that pay the price when they end up with a new coach every year or two.
Totally agree! I experienced it in high school and have also witnessed it happen to coaches. People need to realize that you can’t build a dynasty like Borden County or Richland Springs in a year or two. Every now and then the chips fall into place for a coach at the right time, but some coaches get caught with low numbers and less talent which happens and ends up being an unfortunate situation. The totality of circumstances doesn’t matter to most, just the win/loss column.

I believe everyone has a right to change jobs, from superintendents to principals to coaches, They all do it.
I don't understand why people come on here bashing coaches for leaving a school. It is the decision of the coach and their family to decide what is right for them.

Most coaches leave due to (their opinions of) bad administrations (Supts/Princpls), talent has dried up, school board pushes them out, another job offers better pay, better housing possibilities, etc.. (this list can go on and on).

Places like Richland Springs and Borden County are rare, because they have stability with coaches and they build their programs but they get alot of transfers (SOME-HOW, SOME-WAY).
Another example is Ira, Coach Goodwin has been there for many years and he's had some pretty darn good teams and TOP GRADE A-plus asst coaches who has left for other schools.

We all get on this message board and rant but we have no idea what goes on at these schools to make coaches leave.

Valley has gotten a great fb coach and now they have also gotten a great girls bb coach in amy bowles. I'm curious to why the current valley coaches are leaving.

Back