Official Numbers for Realignment

CoachA, I see what you are saying, and I understand why it is done. But, I don't think it is the right way to do it. If a school "chooses" to play 11 man, even though they have numbers for six-man then it should be for all sports, not just football. No different than a large 3A school choosing to stay in 4A. They are not allowed to play 4A in football and 3A in basketball, so why do it to smaller schools? Same goes for non-football schools, by choosing to not play football, they should be in their own division.

As far as having 1 or 2 team districts. If they are in a 4 or 5 team district for football, why would they be in a 1 or 2 team district in basketball? Use the same district.

My point being this: if its NOT ok to put a school with 40 in the same district as a school with 75 in the same football district, why is it ok to put them in the same basketball district? The logic of the UIL is not consistent. Or, even worse, a school with 40 in the same district as a school with 150 in spring sports? Really? That's fair?

Hornkeeper, you made a very good point. The UIL needs to develop a system that is consistent for all sports. IMO, your idea of using the football districts for all sports is the best yet.

i agree with hornkeeper.. now is not fair and there needs to be change... sooner not later.. my observations of the past the UIL has very little intrests in small towns and the issues of these school systems..

Having been in three team, four team, five team and now seven team districts, I will tell you I prefer the larger district (six to eight teams) AND taking more teams from the districts to fill the playoff bracket. (Of course, my experience is on the private school of the street, but remember, we went D1/D2 in TAPPS six-man two years before UIL did ... so maybe we are the test market for stuff...)

Sure, it makes the first round of the playoffs somewhat predictable (as district champs play fourth place teams), but that's okay.

Major reason I like the larger districts is that there are more MEANINGFUL games ... playing five, six or possibly seven district games to determine a championship and it makes winning a district title much more difficult ... you have to keep your peak performance for more than just one or maybe two key games ... also allows you to still be in the hunt even with an early or upset loss as you have the opportunity to rebound and knock off someone later in the season.

Also, it allows you to be more selective in those non-district games ... because you now only have three, four or five slots to fill. You can try to fill other needs with those games .... play to the competition level that you'd like to have for district, get some confidence building wins, or minimize travel if district is full of long trips.

In the UIL instance, instead of 16 districts of four or five teams, 8 districts of 8 schools would be great. Now, there would be a problem if either of the divisions goes beyond 64 schools and then it might have to be ten districts, but it still would be workable.

oldfat&bald":udmxc2mm said:
Have they acquired the map, darts and booze for the monkey to build the new districts yet? Is the monkey drinking heavily?

Don't go raggin' on my buddy the monkey! Anyway, he doesn't show up until after the holidays.

oldfat&bald":tq6xknty said:
Have they acquired the map, darts and booze for the monkey to build the new districts yet? Is the monkey drinking heavily?

You forgot the crack! That monkey needs the crack to get the right frame of mind to do the alignments.....

lifegatesports":10ec49ra said:
oldfat&bald":10ec49ra said:

Don't go raggin' on my buddy the monkey! Anyway, he doesn't show up until after the holidays.

He's under restraint in a padded room in Big Spring.

From very reliable sources Coach A is 100% correct that there will be a DII State Track Meet probably beginning with the 2013 Track Season if the UIL adopts what Class A Superintendents overwhelmly voted on last spring. As it was explained to me, superintendents said "a school with 6 man numbers (for right now lets say, less than 100 since that cut-off for 12-13/13-14 realignment has not been determined yet) elects to remain 11-man in football they will be required to be large 1-A (DI) in basketball and track as well as UIL Literary". So if I understand correctly, there will not be schools with 6 man numbers opting to play 11 man football and then opting to be 'small school' DII in everything else. This is exactly what Wink did in the most recent realignment and it makes for some pretty unfair number's advantages in BB, track and UIL Literary Contests. Somebody correct me, if my source has misunderstood the superintendent's vote from last spring.

Old Bearkat":1jxqauae said:
lifegatesports":1jxqauae said:
oldfat&bald":1jxqauae said:

I hope they didn't give him my room.

CowboyP":21vymckj said:
Old Bearkat":21vymckj said:
lifegatesports":21vymckj said:
oldfat&bald":21vymckj said:

Nope. He's got the room next to you. And there's no padding on that wall between yours and his ... just the other three walls.

Fan, agree totally with most of what you said. The exception is the cut-off for sixman not being set. It has been set, a long time ago. Now the Utterly Insane Losers might change that, but the Sixman Association needs to make sure they do not.

lifegatesports":3czeq31x said:
CowboyP":3czeq31x said:
Old Bearkat":3czeq31x said:
lifegatesports":3czeq31x said:
oldfat&bald":3czeq31x said:

Nope. He's got the room next to you. And there's no padding on that wall between yours and his ... just the other three walls.

And a 4' x 8' barred window on the wall between the rooms. That way, you and the monkey can throw poop at each other through the window when you get there, Doc Wee Wee.

lifegatesports":2ugfa4et said:
techster2000":2ugfa4et said:
Darrouzett 82?...Really? they had 45 last reallignment. What happened there?

Could 82 be a total K-12 number?
Their whole school number is 124 I believe but yes 82 is too high unless Perryton sent them another bus load to ease over crowding. Upper 40's or low 50's is where I would see their number.

oldfat&bald":luxmjqvy said:
And a 4' x 8' barred window on the wall between the rooms. That way, you and the monkey can throw poop at each other through the window when you get there, Doc Wee Wee.
Me and that monkey wont get along. I don't like slinging poop....

so you would like to see that team of 93 who chooses to play 11-man have to play against schools with 195 in basketball, but you're ok with playing the 6man schools that "have" 99. Do you also think those handful of schools that are at 105 but still play 6man should get to play with the small schools in other sports?

Back