Milford vs Strawn

Longhorn85

Six-man fan
I figured it would be best to just go ahead and make a centralized location for this discussion, since it has been popping up in several other topics for weeks. I have seen both with the eyeball test, and I can't say that I can call it. I would give Milford the slight edge, but if Milford has an off night or isnt motivated, Strawn will take advantage quickly.

Thoughts?

History...

Strawn and Milford have only met 5 times in the past, with each meeting coming in the playoffs.

The first meeting came in the Semifinal in 1979, with Strawn coached by Nelson Campbell at the time. "Edward Golden" remember that one. Milford won 66-49.

After that Strawn took a couple of bi-district losses in 94 and 95, during the time of the Cook brothers as I remember, en-route to Milford playing Amherst and Dewayne Myles a couple times.

They didnt meet again until 2004, again in bi-district, which I believe was the first time Dewaine Lee and Ronny Crumpton went head to head, and Strawn won 30-28 in bi-district.

The last time they met was in 2010 in the quarterfinals, where Milford won 44-30.

Seems like there were Cook boys from the time I was a freshman till 2 years after I got out of high school or there beyond. I can say that one of my concussions came from one of them for sure in a scrimmage in 91.

If this game happens. It'll be what Richland vs. Milford should have been. I dont think anyone will be 45'd unless 1 team simply doesn't show up.

Demoz24":2lk8euwi said:
If this game happens. It'll be what Richland vs. Milford should have been. I dont think anyone will be 45'd unless 1 team simply doesn't show up.
What do you mean should have been ? Please don't say if walker tippe played

Bhs03":1u114d8q said:

Lol Tippie or not, did the game live up to the hype surrounding it? Imo no it didn't. It shouldve been a game instead of an a$$ whooping.

Demoz24":2gd2vo6w said:
Bhs03":2gd2vo6w said:

Lol Tippie or not, did the game live up to the hype surrounding it? Imo no it didn't. It shouldve been a game instead of an a$$ whooping.
I wish it was a good game . Very boring to watch such a easy win

I agree we didn't live up to the expectations this year. We were missing a big part of our team but im happy we didn't give up till the end. Man this is a hard one. I believe strawn will win only because i've seen milford in the past. They aren't consistent with their success.

Coyote07":1q5qbthy said:
I agree we didn't live up to the expectations this year. We were missing a big part of our team but im happy we didn't give up till the end. Man this is a hard one. I believe strawn will win only because i've seen milford in the past. They aren't consistent with their success.
What's your definition of not consistent?

MIlford Insider I didn't mean it in a disrespectful way sorry if that's how you took it. What I meant by not being consistent is that Milford has always had some of the best athletes in six man in the state. You guys are always making play off runs but y'all never win the big game. Last year the big game was us and we beat y'all. This year y'all beat us and did something no one has in a long time. Maybe beating us wasn't halls biggest game is what I'm saying. So that's why I'm taking strawn because they are disciplined and are well coached. If Milford comes to play like they did against us they might can pull it off. sorry I just don't see them being consistent enough in this big game. Good luck to the both teams!

Winning the big game was always been the biggest knock on Milford for the last 20-30 years. No question in my mind that the best 1A athletes year in and out are produced in Milford Texas but every year something happens that doesn't allow them to win. I really believe the Richland game put milford over that hump. We will find out in the next couple of weeks, but I believe these are a special group of kids who will do big things.

Just some VERY BASIC numbers to consider when looking at Milford and Strawn (these are prior to tonights games).

Team Records
Milford 12-0
Strawn 12-0

Ranking
Milford 1
Strawn 3

Pretty even match-up those far...
For these next numbers, opponents Wylie Prep (Milford) and Fort Worth THESA (Strawn) are not included. No offense to those schools.

Number of Top 10 Ranked teams defeated
Milford 6 (including defending State Champions)
Strawn 1 (including playoff victory against Crowell)

Average ranking of opponent
Milford - 24.27
Strawn - 39.54

Average Record of opponents
Milford - Wins 7.18 Losses - 4
Strawn - Wins 4.54 Losses - 6.44

Now, we all know...there are lies, d**n lies and then there are statistics. But, it certainly appears that Milford has made it through a much tougher schedule. Logic would say they should be strongly favored. Just throwing this out there.

I hate to break it to you milford insider yes you have good athletes I agree. So first off year in and year out you have the best in the state not true lots if really good athletes in fact just as good. And don't make excuses the principle to winning is simple. The best players don't win but Best Teams Do. I've seen exceptional athletes get there butt whipped by much less talent who play as a team so that makes Who the better athlete???

Back