May vs strawn

I'm curious if Strawns missing any kids to injuires? They were thumped by Garden City the week before. Making this 2 straight games they've allowed 70+ points.

Strawn lost a lot of talent due to graduation, it happens to every school once in awhile. Are they still a contender? I would have to say yes, they will make the playoffs. How far they go is is undetermined just like every other school. I would have to say that it is not a lock that they will be in Arlington this year, last year I was certain they would be there this year not so sure. Only time will tell but rest assured Coach Lee will have them ready one way or another barring the injury bug stays away.

Yes Strawn is hamstrung with injuries right now, but credit should also be going to Steele's May Tigers. They have been underrated all year. They were good at the first and have improved since then. My opinion is that they will be a serious contender for the East side of the bracket.

You take no one for granted, but if Strawn's healthy by then, last game of the year. In Gordon. Could be a good one. The "Super Bowl" of sixman football? To kick off deer season. District championship? Might the Fort worth Star Telegram cover it again?

51eleven":34nmobox said:
You take no one for granted, but if Strawn's healthy by then, last game of the year. In Gordon. Could be a good one. The "Super Bowl" of sixman football? To kick off deer season. District championship? Might the Fort worth Star Telegram cover it again?

Those of us who know the teams know who is out for Strawn and the impact. Also know they will be back Week 11, so dont let these new flip flopped rankings fool you. Gordon is staying humble.

I don't care about the rankings. We're talking Strawn Gordon here. Never thought of Coach Reed as humble. He's won state, twice. Maybe flying under the radar as his program begins to flourishes this year? 3 points from undefeated this year. Strawn better hope to be healthy by then.

Mike is the coach at Gordon. He has been around the block at least twice in sixman circles and has gained quite a good reputation, at least in the sixman ranks. His last coaching gig was at Hamilton, crowded field, his teams improved in the four or so years he was there. But never really got over the top.

Lee is a good coach and even with all the extreme talent in last two years he was picked apart by both mckean and garden city.. so the true test is when your talent pool is down. So far this year before injuries they have done so so

Reed will keep the boys level headed.. This ain't your daddy's Gordon v Strawn rivalry. No one is burning down bonfires or cutting down trees, in fact most of the kids hang out together on a regular basis. Social media changed things. All the hype of a rivalry game, while people actually get along, different animal.

Better than Dwayne Lee? Let me run this by you. Both coaches will have their team prepared for the game to the best of their abilities. They will have the kids on the field that will give their team the best chance to win. When the lights come on the Friday night that they play, it will be up to the talent, health, and execution of plays on offense and defense that will result in a win or loss. The coaches have a lot to do with a teams success during the week. The kids have about 90% to do with their success on Friday night. Let me say that both coaches are good and leave it at that.

From what I've seen over the past years, Lee's teams are extremely physical and he always gets 110% of the physical ability out of his players. I believe that Lee could have his offense call plays at the line of scrimmage and do just as well, because even if you know what they are going to run, they will just run over you and keep going. Reed seems to be a little more about finesse and a little less physical. Just my take on it.

PS - Now that I think about it, Reed had a big Stud at Rule who could run over the best of tacklers. Emery Dudenseng (sp?). So sometimes Reed can be just as physical as anyone!

T-boneisGood":2xeg4v5g said:
51eleven":2xeg4v5g said:
Never thought of Coach Reed as humble.

Hahaha Me either!

Kidding aside, he does seem to be a good guy and I would be happy for any of my children to be coached by him.

I in no way meant for that to sound disparaging. To me a coach has to have how should I say , desire, confidence, maybe moxie?

If I read right over at lone star football from 2002 to 07 in Rule he was 62-11, going to state the last two but loosing to the great TE led teams at RS. From 08 - 12 in Throckmorton he was 61 -6 going to state the last three, Winning the last two times. Never less than 8 wins in a season in those years. Of those 11 years Six were one loss seasons, one undefeated.

Comparing him and Coach Lee? Both have been to state 5 times. Lee's won 4, Reed's won 2. Winning once is something most coaches never experience. Just getting there is something most never experience, and an extremely successful one in my book.

BTW he did teach my daughter in JR HI. At Strawn. She thought he was mean, because he was strict, demanding. I thought that was a good thing.

Lee and Reed are both elite, I would put them in the tier right below Burkhart. I would probably take Vance Jones over either of them, but it is a close call. They would personally be my number 3 and 4 coaches in all of sixman.

Reed was basically the only coach with a scintilla of success against TE's Coyotes with both Rule and Throckmorton. Lee's 09 Strawn team was insanely good to the point I think they may be one of the best teams in sixman football history. I do think it's impressive that Lee has stayed at Strawn for so many years, but then again I like Reed challenging himself to coach 11 man.

It's amazing Palo Pinto County is big enough for the both of them!

Back