Last word on rainmans "Gods schools"

SimplyPut":14ctxc1v said:
justobserving":14ctxc1v said:
SimplyPut":14ctxc1v said:
Shane,
I appreciate your perspective. I agree with you on some. I guess I just don't understand the mass exodus of kids from public schools to private schools. Maybe I should not say mass, but if we could see it on a bar gragh for the last ten years or so I am sure it it would be heading north-northeast. Everyone has their reasons I suppose, but I am a bit old fashioned. I don't particularly like separation. I would rather see people band together to improve things for the common good of all kids in this case, as opposed to moving out on their own to try to make things better for a few. In the long run, if private schools turn out to be the way to go and it continues, where does that leave those left in the public ranks?

My question is why not more ??? Money is the answer there. If more people could afford it they would have their children in private schools.

Reasons to understand why someone would SPRINT from Public education system.
  • Lack of discipline
    Standardized and watered down curriculums
    Standardized testing that cannot address the varied population it tries to address
    Lowered expectations
    Redistribution of wealth via government intervention and mandate ( Robin Hood among other funds controlled by distribution of funds based on state guideline adherence )
    Social problems
    Removal of God from our educational process
    Removal of Country from our educational process
    and the list goes on.

If the public had educational choice and their tax dollars could be applied to a private education the private school landscape would be transformed at a phenomenal rate.

JMHO

Exactly! I completely agree! But instead of banning together and trying to change those very things, those that can afford to leave do, those that can't have to settle. My question still remains. Where does that leave those that remain? Hence, the separation. Fight the fight would be my preference!

You still fight the fight, but it will take decades to reverse the rot, which does not help your kids now. If I was in a position where I could not afford a private/parochial school, I'd homeschool.

Old Bearkat":24xcm8xd said:
That is precisely the reason in Illinois parents who can afford to, and many make great sacrifices to afford it, send their kids through the Catholic school system. At least 10%-15% of any Catholic high school student population is made up of non-Catholics. The Church there has got a catholic school within easy driving distance of 95% of the population there.

OBK ... the number I've heard is that non-Catholics make up as much as 30% of the enrollment in Catholic schools.

besides that, I think I'll sit this fight out ...

I think the 6-man public schools are about as close as you can get to a private christian school and still be a public school.

This has nothing to do with the discussion, but I think the exodus to private schools happen at a much higher rate in larger public schools where the teachers and admin have a lot less invested in the students.

justobserving hit the nail on the head, SimplyPut.

I couldn't fix all those things in the public schools by sending my kids there. I could fight the fight, but it wouldn't put God back in the schools RIGHT NOW for my kids. If that ever happens again, my kids will be parents or grandparents themselves. Just like you, I do the best I can when I vote, but I can't change the system simply by sending my kids to public schools. I have a ton of friends who are teachers, coaches and administrators in public schools, including 2 brothers-in-law. The public schools are full of wonderful Christian people who truly make a difference in kids' lives. But their hands are tied in a lot of ways. Believe me, I AM fighting the fight as much as anybody in the political arena. Sending my kids to private school doesn't mean that I couldn't care less about public schools. Societal issues are hugely important, no matter where your kids go to school.

Private schools are far from perfect too, though. They come with their own set of problems and limitations. It just boils down to a choice between which set of pros and cons you want for your own kids. I care a lot about the quality of the public schools. The kids coming out of school, whether my kids attend there or not, are going to be my neighbors. I want nothing but the best for them all. The fact remains that I can't control their environment, but I can control (to a greater extent) my own kids' environment. Naturally, my own kids are my #1 priority, so I'm going to try to do whatever I think is best for them.

The public schools here in Abilene aren't bad at all. Like I said, lots of my friends work there. I know they are doing good things. In fact, that is what makes it hard for our private school to grow. There isn't a "mass exodus" leaving the public schools.

We just wanted our kids to grow up in an environment that was more similar to what we grew up in. I grew up in Tulia, and I graduated high school in '84. All the years I was in school we had a prayer over the loudspeaker every morning. We said the pledge. The Ten Commandments were posted on the walls. God was welcome there. Teachers were respected by the kids. We were disciplined when it was called for, and crude/rude behavior wasn't tolerated. We learned useful knowledge rather than some of the politically correct BS that public school teachers are forced to teach these days.

That is the kind of education and environment that is only available to us today in the private school setting, so we chose that. We were blessed by scholarship money that made it possible early on, but it was still a huge sacrifice for us. I don't know the actual numbers, but I'd estimate that 75% or more of the students at our school either receive scholarship help or get discounted tuition (like we do now) because of a parent that works for ACU or ACHS (my wife now works at ACU). Ours is not a school only for rich families. We're all just regular folks that want our kids to be in a good old fashioned Christian environment at school.

But, rest assured, the public schools don't have any better political allies anywhere than they have in the families with kids in private schools. I pay property tax PLUS tuition, so I'm funding both. :)

Decades? I agree OBK. Some parents aren't capable of homeschooling. I truly see all sides of this, and I do not fault or hold anything against those leave for a better system. First and foremost, do the best you can by your kids. There is not a good solution that would include all I suppose. I just have fear that one day public kids that have no other option will be the mistreated stepchild in every aspect of the educational/athletic process. That too could be decades. Hopefully better solutions can come in future generations.

I agree with you, SimplyPut, that there are no easy answers. It really sucks to see the state of public education these days, particularly in the bigger cities. Those poor kids already are the mistreated stepchildren in a lot of ways. I wish all schools everywhere could be more like the small 6-man schools we encounter in sports. There wouldn't be so many big city private schools if that were the case.

The pseudo version of the private exodus is the move to 6 man schools via transfer from larger public schools.

Making the move for the same reasons. Only in this case the 6 man version of public education still seems to be rooted in more home town, down to earth values and motives.

There are a couple of 6 man and a small 11 man school around my area that are the preferred target of moves by parents of their children from larger public institutions to smaller ones. They are seeking better values and a better environment for their kids.

justobserving":yphcmrw7 said:
The pseudo version of the private exodus is the move to 6 man schools via transfer from larger public schools.

Making the move for the same reasons. Only in this case the 6 man version of public education still seems to be rooted in more home town, down to earth values and motives.

There are a couple of 6 man and a small 11 man school around my area that are the preferred target of moves by parents of their children from larger public institutions to smaller ones. They are seeking better values and a better environment for their kids.

You repeated what I said, just with a lot more words.

lifegatesports":lm6oxi3n said:
Old Bearkat":lm6oxi3n said:
That is precisely the reason in Illinois parents who can afford to, and many make great sacrifices to afford it, send their kids through the Catholic school system. At least 10%-15% of any Catholic high school student population is made up of non-Catholics. The Church there has got a catholic school within easy driving distance of 95% of the population there.

OBK ... the number I've heard is that non-Catholics make up as much as 30% of the enrollment in Catholic schools.

besides that, I think I'll sit this fight out ...

I know they were less than that at Joliet Catholic where my boys went to high school, but then again, that area is majority Catholic, and JCA has an outstanding football program that lures them in. But I do not doubt that number at the other ones closer to Chicago.

Back