Last word on rainmans "Gods schools"

Donkgrind

11-man fan
I followed all eight pages of "Whats with Gods schools" and after Fridays Dallas the Covenant Throckmorton game all the talk kind of fizzled out, which I found to be interesting after covenant was referred to as unbeatable by some, and I think they were the 2nd ranked d1 private school, vs the top ranked d1 public school . I was anticipating this show down to be all the rage on the topic. As it turns out covenant lost by 20 points, I read on another post somewhere that it was a good game, could of went either way, and basically came down to the wire. Not sure what private planet this person is living on but I have participated in alot of athletic contests of all kinds, from little dribblers to church league softball,and everything in between, and accelled in high school sports,and never once found any consolation of any kind in getting waxed by 20 points. As a result throck dropped out of the top spot to Nmbr 3 and rainjacks point was pretty well proven from every angle. Can it be that the controversial rainman was dead on about the private, public debate and privates are still way behind publics?? And no one on either side of the debate Can give him any credit??

No matter how heated, all topics eventually fade away in time. This one had a chance to fade away until some Motley Fool brought it back up into the top six.

The Motley Fool":cg4tbmmm said:
Really wish this topic would go away, this isn't good for anyone public or private, people forget that we are all EQUAL in God's eyes.

Is that a serious post?

If so, I blame the evil scoreboards for lying to us every Friday night.

I didn't know that getting WAXED in 6man was by 20 points. I always took that as the 45 rule. In 6man 3 td's can be scored within seconds and make a good game look like a thrashing(as in 11man). And by rainjack's post DC should have been 45ed by Throck.

Like I said in earlier for the most part, public has the upper hand, but the actual "PROGRAMS" in private can keep up.

DC wasn't 20 points behind with seconds left they were 20 behind with no time left. There is a difference there, I didn't see the game for all I know two or three scores in the final minutes coulda been scored to make it a 20 point game I don't know?? What I do know for a fact is DC was 3 scores behind when the final buzzer went off, and there has never been a game in the history of sports that a team made a 20 point come from behind win when the time clock reads 00:00 in the 4th quarter. Are private schools so used to getting 45ed by top notch publics that a 20 point loss is dignified progress??? If so I didn't mean to rain on your parade, congratulations to your moral victory!!
With that happy go lucky milk and cookies for everyone mentality u won't be competing with top public schools anytime soon, but good luck.

Why do they compete against each other in the first place. Early on I could see why, but isn't there enough private and religious schools now that public can play public and private can play private. I wish this would be officially addressed. I'm gonna catch grief, but it is my opinion most people pull their kids out of public because they think there kids are better than the large pool of public kids congregated in a uil school. This would never be admitted, because it would not be christian-like. The common disguise is for a better christian-like environment, or a better educational opportunity. I have seen some of the private educated rant on this very site. So that's a wash, and as far as more christian-like, I would venture to say that darn near 100% of these small public 6-man schools would like to have God allowed back in there schools as well. I find it interesting that this is such an issue, and my personal opinion is that private schools are now trying to prove the very reason they are not a part of a public UIL school, by being better at a contest in which would prove their reason for separation in the first place. They are better!

I think you will probably start seeing more top-tiered public schools scheduling privates in the future. It's very difficult for a good public school to fill its schedule. More and more mediocre to bad public teams are refusing to take the shellacking they will inevitably get from the better teams.

Privates are hungry to prove they can hang with the publics and might be more willng to fill their schedule with better quality competition.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

IMHO the privates have a couple of standout problems.

• 1. The athletic pool most of them draw from is even smaller than the regular six man school of close to the same size. I am gonna take a lot of grief over this statement but here goes. I have watched the private schools compete at BB, Track and FB. The male population of the private schools from what I have observed is not, can't figure how to put this delicately, ahhhhh say leant toward athletics physically or emotionally. So if two schools public/private have the same enrollment the numbers pool may be smaller.

2. I would think Private Schools would have a hard time getting quality coaching staffs. Money constraints would limit the number of coaches and the ability of the coaches. I know a couple of the privates around here have citizen helpers for assistants and the Head Coach is something like the Biology teacher or whoever who played football once upon a time.

I have never fully understood the whole controversy of public verses private except for the "self imposed" feeling of inferiority the Privates advocates display. A lot of the Private people are very thin skinned and will defend their non defendable position and "beliefs" (delusions) - to the end. You must admire their loyalty but question their sanity.

They will have their David over Goliath periodically which does nothing more than fuel the flicker of a fire that has almost died out. Then a small flame and roar for a year or so and back to back and forth bantering.

It is a fun exercise to go through. Using facts and logic trying to dissuade the vehement advocates of the "God's Schools".

From the Mercy Rule Update:

Public Schools vs. Private Schools: 5 of 13 games (38.5%)
Of these 13 games, private schools won 9 and public schools won 4

Hmmmmm.....

Dogface":15zwwsp2 said:
From the Mercy Rule Update:

Public Schools vs. Private Schools: 5 of 13 games (38.5%)
Of these 13 games, private schools won 9 and public schools won 4

Hmmmmm.....

Which public schools are playing which privates schools? What was the spread on those games? Just saying that privates won 9 of 13 games played against publics means little, if anything.

SimplyPut":1wmq3jsc said:
Why do they compete against each other in the first place. Early on I could see why, but isn't there enough private and religious schools now that public can play public and private can play private. I wish this would be officially addressed. I'm gonna catch grief, but it is my opinion most people pull their kids out of public because they think there kids are better than the large pool of public kids congregated in a uil school. This would never be admitted, because it would not be christian-like. The common disguise is for a better christian-like environment, or a better educational opportunity. I have seen some of the private educated rant on this very site. So that's a wash, and as far as more christian-like, I would venture to say that darn near 100% of these small public 6-man schools would like to have God allowed back in there schools as well. I find it interesting that this is such an issue, and my personal opinion is that private schools are now trying to prove the very reason they are not a part of a public UIL school, by being better at a contest in which would prove their reason for separation in the first place. They are better!

With all due respect, SimplyPut, your perception is incorrect. I'm sure there are parents here and there in private schools that think their kids are better than everybody else's, but I see that just as often in public schools (if not more often in some school districts....cough!......Abilene Wylie!.....cough!....cough!....) Ha!Ha! :)

I can tell you the reason we want to play public schools.... Because there are a LOT more public schools around us than other private schools. There may be large concentrations of private schools in the Dallas area, but not in West Texas. One of our district games is in El Paso - and we're in Abilene (450 miles away). That's freakin' ridiculous to drive that far for a district game, but that's what we have to do. We need more games closer to home, and public schools are the only option. Even at that, tonight our team had to drive 3 hours to play a public school. Crazy (if you ask me), especially when there are a bunch of great 6-man schools a lot closer than that. I hope that more public schools will be willing to schedule teams like ours.

justobserving":1wmq3jsc said:
IMHO the privates have a couple of standout problems.

• 1. The athletic pool most of them draw from is even smaller than the regular six man school of close to the same size. I am gonna take a lot of grief over this statement but here goes. I have watched the private schools compete at BB, Track and FB. The male population of the private schools from what I have observed is not, can't figure how to put this delicately, ahhhhh say leant toward athletics physically or emotionally. So if two schools public/private have the same enrollment the numbers pool may be smaller.

2. I would think Private Schools would have a hard time getting quality coaching staffs. Money constraints would limit the number of coaches and the ability of the coaches. I know a couple of the privates around here have citizen helpers for assistants and the Head Coach is something like the Biology teacher or whoever who played football once upon a time.

I have never fully understood the whole controversy of public verses private except for the "self imposed" feeling of inferiority the Privates advocates display. A lot of the Private people are very thin skinned and will defend their non defendable position and "beliefs" (delusions) - to the end. You must admire their loyalty but question their sanity.

They will have their David over Goliath periodically which does nothing more than fuel the flicker of a fire that has almost died out. Then a small flame and roar for a year or so and back to back and forth bantering.

It is a fun exercise to go through. Using facts and logic trying to dissuade the vehement advocates of the "God's Schools".

I am new here, justobserving, so I can't speak to the level of private school fan delusional-ism, but you are right on with your other comments about the struggles that private schools face athletically. Budgets make it harder to attract the best coaches sometimes. We're blessed at ACHS to have ACU as a draw, so that often helps us get some really good teachers and coaches that have kids that can benefit from the tuition discount for college at ACU. It also gets us a lot of egghead professor's kids in school. HaHa! We lose some of our best athletes in middle school to the bigger and higher-profile public school programs. The pool of athletes to draw from can really vary from class to class and year to year. Sometimes we're loaded, and sometimes it's hard to find more than 2 kids that can walk and chew gum at the same time. :)

I've been watching our kids play sports for several years now, and I never realized that there was a big controversy between public and private schools. Hopefully, it's not too widespread. At the 6-man level especially, I think everybody - public and private - needs all the cooperation and healthy competition close to home as we can get. I expect everybody to root for their team and cheer like crazy when they win. If you can't get excited about that, then you need to stay home. But I can say that I have personally had nothing but great experiences in every town we've played in - public or private. I honestly believe that 6-man fans are the friendliest and least over-the-top fanatical fans in the state. I go to lots of 3A - 5A games too (Brownwood, Wylie, Abilene High, etc...). They're fun, but if you want to see some high school football fans that take things WAY too far sometimes, just go to some of those games. Not all of those fans are like that, of course. But you'll see a handfull of NUTS there. HaHa!

It's harder for a private school to have a consistently good football team. No question about it, and there are always going to be more really good teams in the public schools. But there are going to be some very competitive teams in private schools that need to be playing better competition (like ACHS this year). It's hard to reach your potential if you never get to compete at a higher level.

Shane,
I appreciate your perspective. I agree with you on some. I guess I just don't understand the mass exodus of kids from public schools to private schools. Maybe I should not say mass, but if we could see it on a bar gragh for the last ten years or so I am sure it it would be heading north-northeast. Everyone has their reasons I suppose, but I am a bit old fashioned. I don't particularly like separation. I would rather see people band together to improve things for the common good of all kids in this case, as opposed to moving out on their own to try to make things better for a few. In the long run, if private schools turn out to be the way to go and it continues, where does that leave those left in the public ranks?

One other thing. I know it wasn't meant in a bad way, but that part about public schools are our only option. That "only option" is something private membership CHOSE to move away from instead of working together to make it better. I also know it is a mute argument I make. It comes down to freedom to make choices, and that I would never argue. We are blessed to have that.

SimplyPut":1wuj2pib said:
Shane,
I appreciate your perspective. I agree with you on some. I guess I just don't understand the mass exodus of kids from public schools to private schools. Maybe I should not say mass, but if we could see it on a bar gragh for the last ten years or so I am sure it it would be heading north-northeast. Everyone has their reasons I suppose, but I am a bit old fashioned. I don't particularly like separation. I would rather see people band together to improve things for the common good of all kids in this case, as opposed to moving out on their own to try to make things better for a few. In the long run, if private schools turn out to be the way to go and it continues, where does that leave those left in the public ranks?

My question is why not more ??? Money is the answer there. If more people could afford it they would have their children in private schools.

Reasons to understand why someone would SPRINT from Public education system.
  • Lack of discipline
    Standardized and watered down curriculums
    Standardized testing that cannot address the varied population it tries to address
    Lowered expectations
    Redistribution of wealth via government intervention and mandate ( Robin Hood among other funds controlled by distribution of funds based on state guideline adherence )
    Social problems
    Removal of God from our educational process
    Removal of Country from our educational process
    and the list goes on.

If the public had educational choice and their tax dollars could be applied to a private education the private school landscape would be transformed at a phenomenal rate.

JMHO

justobserving":2xooaafm said:
SimplyPut":2xooaafm said:
Shane,

My question is why not more ??? Money is the answer there. If more people could afford it they would have their children in private schools.

• Lack of discipline
    Standardized testing that cannot address the varied population it tries to address
    Lowered expectations
    Redistribution of wealth via government intervention and mandate ( Robin Hood among other funds controlled by distribution of funds based on state guideline adherence )
    Social problems
    and the list goes on.

If the public had educational choice and their tax dollars could be applied to a private education the private school landscape would be transformed at a phenomenal rate.

JMHO
BIN3120.jpg

That is precisely the reason in Illinois parents who can afford to, and many make great sacrifices to afford it, send their kids through the Catholic school system. At least 10%-15% of any Catholic high school student population is made up of non-Catholics. The Church there has got a catholic school within easy driving distance of 95% of the population there.

justobserving":1yzoc8pn said:
SimplyPut":1yzoc8pn said:
Shane,

• Lack of discipline
    Lowered expectations
    Social problems
    and the list goes on.

JMHO

Exactly! I completely agree! But instead of banning together and trying to change those very things, those that can afford to leave do, those that can't have to settle. My question still remains. Where does that leave those that remain? Hence, the separation. Fight the fight would be my preference!

Back