Just How Bad Could it be or How Good could it be for GC ??

Not a moot point to me Mr. rainjactx - just a difference on what competition is at what price.

I'm not in a corner and not a position I have to defend. Just a position that even at the lowest end of the spectrum of something such as an Athletic Activity Division quality of product and the rationale of having that product must come into play.

Make no mistake - I am an athletics backer all the way. Lived it, breathed it, participated in it and coached as did my dad, brother and brother-in-law for many years. That is one reason I oppose this DII thing so adamantly.

The larger schools in 6 man ( in NEARLY all cases ) have to endure the small schools in their divisions. I know there are exceptions. Richland before the change would be an example. They have to endure games that last a half and should have really been called half way into the first half. Have to endure open dates because they drop out. Have to endure playing a first or second round game against a 2nd place finisher opponent that was 3-7 in a weak 6 man district.

The only argument I get from the other side is to be "fair" and allow them a chance. Like I alluded to in a post above, when you are trying to be fair to over half the schools who can't compete no matter what you do, why delude the whole Division structure to accommodate them.

When you get too small to field a competitive team year in and year out then you are too small compete. Most all of the schools that fall in the lower half of DII meet this. The upper half of DII can compete and win in DI.

The one and only one redeeming thing to keeping all of the small non competitive schools playing is it that it gives the other schools more teams to schedule to play so there are less travel distances. But if you choose to schedule one of these schools you usually are just scheduling half a game.

All the cliches aside - fight in dog .... winning isn't everything ... teaching values ... yada yada it is about winning. But winning at what cost of distorting the "playing field".

We can argue this forever ... it will never be settled here because of one reason ... idealist and realist can almost never agree because the are seeing the same picture from a different view. Both have a clear vision of what they see and cannot be told anything different.

I just live in a world of having to compete no matter the odds, others want to hedge the odds because they believe that is fair and right. Power to those who believe their way, their God given right. Success and rewards to all who play the game with honor....

this is a note that i wrote to the widow of my head coach much to late but none the less i felt the need for her to know... now then i share these simple words so maybe you will understand how important i feel that everyone have a chance to learn from their coach

Mrs. Turner,

I don’t know if I ever did tell Coach how much I appreciated the time and effort he put in while I was in school.. I know he is gone now but I wanted you to know that he was an important man to me. I certainly was no super star athlete but he encouraged me to always to do better than what I was at the time. Sometimes I felt as it there wasn’t any more he had gotten all I had and then some but he would kick my butt (figuratively) but before I walked off that knob hill I thought I could whip the world. Sure, some of the games stood out but mostly it was practice it was it was in civics as I set by his desk going over defenses and blocking for the team we were to play that week. That one on one time, all the time he was preparing me for the game he was also talking about the game of life. How it was my responsibility to take the lessons taught from my parents, teachers, and yes coaches to be successful in my life.
So I thought I would take this time to let you know when you think about him, the countless hours of dedication that was put in not only for me but for us all was and is appreciated. He was a good man and I’m thankful that he was my coach.
Sincerely,

kb joe

I would disagree that the bottom half of D-II should be dismissed as too small to field a competitive team. I think it is cyclical - and that the cycles are greatly magnified the smaller the schools are.

I can name you schools in every 5A district that are walk-overs. I can do the same for every classification all the way down to D-II sixman. When was the last time Lubbock High was a serious contender for a district title?

Nonetheless, your argument about fairness is quite hypocritical. It is okay for the 11-man schools to be broken down by size, but not for 6-man. Half of all 6-man games end by the mercy rule. And I can promise you that the losing half are not always D-II teams who should not be fielding a team in the first place. There are perennially weak teams in every Classification.

There is no difference in dividing Class A from Class 5A and dividing 6-man into 2 divisions. None.

No difference in dividing,
No matter which class.
Good point!

I may be a real idealist because
I don't think football
has that much to do with winning.
I think winning is merely a byproduct
of well played football.
(I believe it was John Wooden's
philosophy as well).

Dogface":3crbdirv said:
No difference in dividing,
No matter which class.
Good point!

I may be a real idealist because
I don't think football
has that much to do with winning.
I think winning is merely a byproduct
of well played football.
(I believe it was John Wooden's
philosophy as well).
Good Point!!

IMO, dividing 6 man into 2 divisions was a good thing. It puts schools of approximately equal size against one another. I know that many people don't agree, but what is the point in arguing? None of us can change what the UIL does.

CowboyP you hit the proverbial nail on the head. I may have a somewhat jaded view of this but it basically boils down to economics. More divisions= more teams in playoffs=more revenue.
I don't think the UIofL is going to want to quit milking Ole Daisy aka the Playoff Cash Cow.

Dogface":25rvxbo8 said:
No difference in dividing, No matter which class. Good Point.

I may be a real idealist because I don't think football has that much to do with winning. I think winning is merely a byproduct of well played football.
(I believe it was John Wooden's philosophy as well).

Well spoken by a man who I suspect has never been fired for not winning or seen his friends and fellow coaches fired for not winning. ( oh yea, that happens - regularly or don't you notice? ) And it is hard to win if you don't play well, that is a point I think everyone can agree on.

The sad reality is that is football and other athletic endeavors are all about winning.... guess what - so is life - it just depends on what success level you deem as being a winner... I wouldn't think a sane person goes into a game with an expectation of winning when he/she knows it is an impossibility or close to it I wouldn't think.... And I don't think I would want to have to do that week in and week out for four years no matter what life's lessons I am learning.

That is not an idealist nor realist notion..... that is a fact. Sorry, it doesn't matter what level ....

I spoke with a highly respected and successful 6 man head coach during this exchange I am typing on right now and one of the things he expressed is he just couldn't see how he or anyone could work in a situation where the chances for winning and having a successful program were almost nil and having to live and work that way every day with little to no hope of it improving. He wasn't speaking of District Champions or higher he was just speaking about winning more than you lose on a regular basis and being able to compete week in and week out.

Athletics provide a tool to teach the lessons and through this it provides an opportunity to learn. Surely you noticed Wooden wasn't a loser. He taught lessons under a demanding, strict and structured system pointed at one thing - winning. He wasn't hired to teach life's lessons - those came as a by product of him as an exceptional person and a brilliant coach.

Successful coaches in their respective Sports and also respected as good men and teachers. They all have one thing in common - they were also winners.

Lou Holtz
Tom Landry
Vince Lombardi
John Wooden
Tony Dungee
Papa Joe Paterno
Mike Krzyzewski

But we go far afield here ...

Thread has gone many directions - and I have expressed my feelings and views. If you do not agree that is your privilege and good for you for having an opinion and sticking to it.

I have been associated with winning programs and losing ones. Guess which set of kids you would rather be around day in and day out because of their attitudes? If you are concerned about the kids, this is part of the concern...

What all of this has to do with Garden City I don't know ?????

JO, I don't know what any of this has to do with Garden City, but are you really saying that the bottom half teams of DII shouldn't be playing because they can't win???? So should all teams that can't win just pack it up and call it a day? Not give their kids a chance to play a game everyone on here loves?? Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

With the exception of Krzyzewski (had to copy/paste that one) and Maybe Dungy, all of the coaches you have listed went through losing spells. In particular, Tom Landry. I don't think they would have lasted long enough in Texas high school football to have an iota of their reputations.

Just sayin'.

But your same logic with respect to not being able to win is applicable across division/class barriers, JO. As I said earlier, there are perennial losers in every classification. You think a kid attending Amarillo Palo Duro is going to be thinking about the playoffs in August?

Other than the school just not being able to physically field a team, your argument holds no more water in 6-man than it does in 5A.

rainjacktx":166xi2xs said:
With the exception of Krzyzewski (had to copy/paste that one) and Maybe Dungy, all of the coaches you have listed went through losing spells. In particular, Tom Landry. I don't think they would have lasted long enough in Texas high school football to have an iota of their reputations.

Just sayin'.

But your same logic with respect to not being able to win is applicable across division/class barriers, JO. As I said earlier, there are perennial losers in every classification. You think a kid attending Amarillo Palo Duro is going to be thinking about the playoffs in August?

Other than the school just not being able to physically field a team, your argument holds no more water in 6-man than it does in 5A.

Guess it depends on what you call a team. In my mind a team is a group of athletes capable of competing not a collection of bodies that gives you a minimum number to field a group to play....

I don't see my logic bag dripping ....

But if there were not classifications in 11-man, the smaller schools would be exactly as you say at the end of your post.

Hence the creation of two divisions in 6-man. You may not think this is a moot argument, but at the VERY least it is circular. I think you said it best early on when you said we will have to agree to disagree.

I do agree that there does not need to be more than one representative from each district in the playoffs, though - just in case we are looking for some common ground.

I guess the whole point of my argument lies in this. The bottom half of DII is just not competitive with everything above them in DI and DII. I don't think they shouldn't exist. They should play if they want like everyone else.

My whole slant on this is why the division was made to help these smaller weaker schools when no manner of division is going to make them competitive as a whole. There will be the occasional exception but very occasional.

So yes we can Agree to Disagree.

I enjoyed the discourse ....

I still disagree. The whole idea wasn't for the bottom half of DII to be competitive it was for the upper half to have a chance at real success. Very few truly small schools were competitive at the highest level. There are notable exceptions. It was so the school with 30 kids who had a good team could legitimately compete for a title.

jo

would you agree that a certain percent would be competitive playing 11 man ball? if so why don’t we make them play in that league? maybe you would be more a proponent of three leagues of six man programs there fore those with the smallest enrollment would not be playing those at the top... you know if you will go look at the stats based upon who is playing the best competition based upon only the schools that are suppose to be able of advancement... i posed this question to why would programs choose a weaker schedule all the coaches that responded had a difference of opinion based upon the kids and the program they had and what would ultimately give them the best chance to advance out of district and into the playoffs

IMHO, This is not us arguing,
as much as it is brothers
professing their deeply held beliefs
or theories.

As for me not being fired for winning,
hmmm, not exactly why I was,
a few years back
the whole staff was non-renewed.
The varsity only won one,
but we (JH) went over .500
in every sport.
So, go figure.

In John Wooden's own words,
he said that in all of his years,
16 at UCLA before the incredible started,
he never once said "Win".
Hence, the Pyramid of Success.

My theory on the two divisions
is like some others.
More games is more money.
Plain and simple.
Period.

kbjoe1":14n64ln1 said:
jo --- would you agree that a certain percent would be competitive playing 11 man ball? if so why don’t we make them play in that league? maybe you would be more a proponent of three leagues of six man programs there fore those with the smallest enrollment would not be playing those at the top... you know if you will go look at the stats based upon who is playing the best competition based upon only the schools that are suppose to be able of advancement... i posed this question to why would programs choose a weaker schedule all the coaches that responded had a difference of opinion based upon the kids and the program they had and what would ultimately give them the best chance to advance out of district and into the playoffs

Dogface":14n64ln1 said:
IMHO, This is not us arguing, as much as it is brothers professing their deeply held beliefs or theories.

As for me not being fired for winning, hmmm, not exactly why I was, a few years back the whole staff was non-renewed.
The varsity only won one, but we (JH) went over .500 in every sport. So, go figure.

In John Wooden's own words, he said that in all of his years, 16 at UCLA before the incredible started, he never once said "Win". Hence, the Pyramid of Success.

My theory on the two divisions is like some others. More games is more money. Plain and simple. Period.

There would be very very very very few, count on a three fingered hand that would be competitive in 11 man. The six man world allows you to have 1 good player and win games and allows a team with 2 good players and average others to be a playoff contender. Those numbers won't make you competitive in 11 man.

As for scheduling check:

.... http://www.sixmanfootball.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14569&hilit=strength+of+schedule

Yes Dogface - you were fired .... reason - those Jr. High kids were just too good to be coached by the existing staff. I would imagine the town surmised they were winning in spite of their coaching. Been there done that !! As have many others.

Coach Wooden may have never uttered "Win" but actions and attitudes speak as loud as words. No one can be as successful as the coaches afore mentioned without being driven to WIN.

I agree with you on the Mo' Money thing only in the realm of the playoff games. I think it was the main consideration. The Division thing in 6 man was more political - appeasement.

Discussion and consideration of an issue is always a good thing .... Ain't that iz wat wee sposed two do with hour brainz ?

Amen.
I'm using Wooden's Pyramid of Success
for the book study project
in my Eng. classes.
I figured if we have to study something
might as well pick something powerful.
We'll save Hank the Cowdog
for end of year. :)

Dogface":1elc7nst said:
Amen.
I'm using Wooden's Pyramid of Success
for the book study project
in my Eng. classes.
I figured if we have to study something
might as well pick something powerful.
We'll save Hank the Cowdog
for end of year. :)
Good choice Hank the cowdog should be considered
a classic.

You know, Hank would have been a very good 6 Man Mascot for somebody ....

hank.gif

Back