Just How Bad Could it be or How Good could it be for GC ??

I can tell you that there is very little possibility of GC losing to MC. Not to demean the Matadors in any way. They are one of the best D-2 teams in the state, but they are still D-2.

There is almost no chance Paducah will best GC.

You talk about GC losing a few guys - the Dragons lost EVERYONE. And even fully loaded last year they went out fairly early in the playoffs. Once again - not meaning to insult or demean any one team, but I think your scouting reports are way off, JO.

rainjacktx":29fx8h1g said:
I can tell you that there is very little possibility of GC losing to MC. Not to demean the Matadors in any way. They are one of the best D-2 teams in the state, but they are still D-2.

There is almost no chance Paducah will best GC.

You talk about GC losing a few guys - the Dragons lost EVERYONE. And even fully loaded last year they went out fairly early in the playoffs. Once again - not meaning to insult or demean any one team, but I think your scouting reports are way off, JO.
So you feel that a D2 team cannot matchup well against a D1 team? Just wondering. I would have liked to see Garden City and Richland Springs play last year.

smokeyjoe53":2pojsb46 said:
So you feel that a D2 team cannot matchup well against a D1 team? Just wondering. I would have liked to see Garden City and Richland Springs play last year.

Generally speaking, I don't think a top ranked D-2 team will match up well against a top ranked D-1 team. I don't think RS would have lasted long against GC last year.

I'm not slamming D-2 teams, but they created 2 divisions in 6-man for a reason.

Oh, and thanks for fixing the quote function, Granger.

techster2000":3mfjug59 said:
Didn't Paducah go 3 games deep? 2 Games before state. Think they were ready for rounball!

I think you're right. And I guess they made the right choice. But with the talent they had on the field, Paducah should have been a semi-finalist at the very least. Holy cow they were fast.

Paducah has awesome talent every year. Had about the same talent in 2009 as this past year and went from a 3 or 4 win season to going to the Quarter finals. Having been around them i think they tend to play as well as they are coached. Simply going from Donaldson at coach to Means changed the mentality of that team. Now with Willis stepping up they will take that same mentality in this season. They are down but will still be a pretty good playoff team considering their district. They will probably have trouble with GC but they shoudl give them a pretty decent game. As with MC vs GC like rainjax said MC is D2. They compete in that little cupcake corner of their bracket which in my opinion produce few teams that could even hold there own in D1 with the exception of Miami some years. and to SmokeyJoe, I'd have my money on last years GC team against all comers in the state. Sterling was a good D2 team but might have won a playoff game depending where they fell in D1. I don't think RS would have been ready for that level of competition considering the playoff run they had.

2old2play":2cm474cu said:
Funny, I wondered how long it would be before this kind of post showed up on the board. Justobserving it is true that we could go 4 and 6, heck we could go 0 and 10. But more than likely that is not the case. You seem to forget that we run a whole JV schedule as well and are there are some very talented young men who will have to step up and fill the spots of those great players who have graduated. True Brett and Josh will be hard to replace. Just as difficult will be replacing Schaefer and Long at guard and center. Those guys held those positions down for three years and created the gaps Colunga ran through. But don't spend your time worrying about the Bearkats, we are pretty sure things are going to be just fine. We may not make it to the State Championship again this year, time will tell about that, but I remember when Colunga had to come up from JV in the middle of the season to replace our injured all-star back. Things worked out pretty well I think. Winning is contagious and Vance Jones knows how to do it as good as anyone out there. I guarantee no matter how the season goes those kids will play their hearts out week after week and if they get beat it will be because the other team flat out played them. JMHO!
What kind of post is this ?? Not to burst anyone's bubble here, but that kind of talent you do not replace, you fill in for the best you can. Now as for the other two, very good players but not quiet so hard to find replacements. Players make all-state status for a reason, if there was no higher standard to achieve then everyone one make it. But I see that coming - that was discussed a few years back in thread. Yes Mr. Colunga had SOME holes to run through but I think you might want to go back and watch some highlight films of said running back and see just how many yards were made when there was no where to go... I won't spend any time worrying about it for sure, just brought this whole point up as conjecture. Likelyhood of it happening I wouldn't predict being high, but the world is full of possibilities. And isn't the reason you lose supposed to be that you got outplayed - besides the fact you didn't score enough points ??

PCPete":2cm474cu said:
I keep hearing GC is not going to be as good without Brett, Ian, Josh, and Aaron and I'm in total agreement - they may not be as strong. But the truth of the matter is, all teams lose quality players each year. Good coaches develop players like these four and there's no doubt in my mind about Coach Jones developing players to step up and do the job. I do not see Vance being outcoached by many people and certainly not in their district. I do not live in that district - in fact, I live a long way from it. I just watch teams in that area and am amazed how GC keeps coming back when so many people write them off.
I think you might want to check GC's JV record from last year, how many players they have coming back, playing time of those coming back - Just a thought. I believe "not as strong" may be a gross under estimate. I really didn't know GC had been written off in the last few years.

donhardin":2cm474cu said:
A new season, a new challenge(s). Garden City could fall and fall hard. I bet Coach Vance Jones and gang will take the bull by the horns and give it their best shot. I don't expect they will win state this season BUT I didn't expect they would the last two seasons either.
Well we will see. This is a nice exercise though. Predicting and extrapolating the facts of a situation is always fun. I guess the one thing I haven't really taken into account here is Vance Jones. Does he have any assistant coaches ? Does he get to play a down ? Just some questions that come to mind.

Remember the 4 - 6 season was not a prediction - just a possibility. This will be interesting to watch how it plays out. For the GC and Jones faithful - just how far are they gonna go ????

GC has a scrimmage this morning with Grady -- Will be waiting with bad breath - oh - that should be bated breath for the outcome....

Not a GC detractor in this - I have followed them for several years, just wondering.... "Possibilities" - the reason they play the games...

I believe my statement was " I would have liked to see Garden City and Richland Springs play last year."
I didn't predict a winner nor do I really care who might win. rainjack made a statement. I didn't question the validity of his statement, merely sought clarification.
It seems the majority don't think such a game would be any contest at all. I feel that it would be a fun game to observe given the qualities both teams displayed.
Amen, JO. There is a reason they play the games.

SmokyJoe, You say that you would like to have seen those two teams play (RS and GC). Well, here about 3 years ago (give or take), I went off up the country and witnessed a meeting between the two. I don't remember exactly where, but they met somewhere in the middle. The two JV's played. The teams consisted of a good portion of the last year's varsities of each school. And, you know that JV games are played for a lot of different reasons, some being political, and some legitimate. That game seemed pretty straight up. The coyotes won that one fairly easily. Things change, players mature,.... But, it happened.

justobserving":2dxdmhh3 said:
Ah, the mystique of a winner. This kind of attitude is good for at least two wins in a season for a school such as GC that has their opponents thinking "GC is just better than us". This attitude makes a real difference in a game that could have gone the other way just talent on talent. So many people feel they have no chance before they even start. This starts with the opposing towns people and filters right down through their kids that have to play the game.

Have seen it so many times in my years. In different eras some of these Denver City, Brownwood, Odessa Permian, Phillips ( back in the day ), Littlefield and many others. They won lots of games down through the years just because of "WHO" people thought they were...

But like I said at the start, just a thought, and on paper things could go bad... not to say they will. I do think it is going to be a really different type season for GC, JMHO. It is always interesting to watch and see how a coach does when he has to make do with lesser talent.
I call wins like this "intimidation wins" I have seen it happen far too many times. Unfortunatly it is too easy for players to convince themselves that they can't win because the other team is "too good".

I'm not going to continue this argument. We'll all see how it plays out over the next few months. As far as the scrimmage went yesterday, GC did well. I could be off a score or two but the varsity beat Grady something like 7 to 3. The offense looked good at times and bad at times just as you would probably expect with so many filling in the holes of graduating starters. The defense looked very good for the most part. They held Grady scoreless until right at the end when both teams ran several plays in the red zone. Grady's scores came then, but at least two starters were setting out at that time. In all honesty I think Grady is trying to fill some holes as well and are not as stout as at this time last year, but they also had players that did good things. Midland Trinity was also there but GC's varisity only had 1 series against them both ways best I remember. I think they scored once and we scored once. GCJV did very well also, but I didn't attempt to keep up with their scores. They had several, first 3 plays from scrimmage went for touchdowns. Still a lot of work to do, but I think the coaching staff can take some real positives away from the experience.

As a lowly so-called newbie
perhaps an elder could help me understand
why the DI and DII champs
don't have a go at each other
every year?

I think last years champs
would have made an excellent exhibition!!!
Just imagine.

the game was bc vs gc 2010 or gc vs t-rock 2009.. was there for both dont know if i ever have see any better 6 man games

They used to do that in Basketball. I'm sure you all remember the Texas cup. I think they took the Texas cup out because they felt it sucked for the team that goes and wins state and then has to turn around the next day and lose. Especially in the years where Division 1 would be stacked and D2 would have a way less talented team.

You can solve the whole problem by going back to ONE DIVISION.... Or go to 3 or 4 or 5 or 6. It is back to the "let everyone win" mentality that even creates a situation for the D1 / D2 game question to even exist.

Year in and year out the top of D2 can compete [ Didn't say win a large % but compete] with D1. The mid to bottom of D2 can't compete with either one - I still don't see the need .... Never have - never will. Oh well this is a dead horse that was beat to death when D2 was being considered ..... I gotta get over this, how many years has it been now ?

If it is your intention that d1 and d2 should not have been split then maybe we should not have any divisions between any schools. Does this seem to fix the question who is better.. I don’t understand why these questions arise. They are not in the same division. At times the smaller schools could be better, maybe, but if schools who played 11 man if they played six man and having a larger talent pool there is a better than average chance they are going to win as well, but sometimes the smaller school might win.

Not to be rude or any thing but to quote a high school coach
What if a buzzard had a radio in his ass??? There would be music in the air..

Hey guys, all I said was that I would have liked to see GC & RS play last year. That's it. Simple statement of desire. I would like to see them play this year and next year as well.

2old2play":23wxy6ji said:
I'm not going to continue this argument. We'll all see how it plays out over the next few months. As far as the scrimmage went yesterday, GC did well. I could be off a score or two but the varsity beat Grady something like 7 to 3. The offense looked good at times and bad at times just as you would probably expect with so many filling in the holes of graduating starters. The defense looked very good for the most part. They held Grady scoreless until right at the end when both teams ran several plays in the red zone. Grady's scores came then, but at least two starters were setting out at that time. In all honesty I think Grady is trying to fill some holes as well and are not as stout as at this time last year, but they also had players that did good things. Midland Trinity was also there but GC's varisity only had 1 series against them both ways best I remember. I think they scored once and we scored once. GCJV did very well also, but I didn't attempt to keep up with their scores. They had several, first 3 plays from scrimmage went for touchdowns. Still a lot of work to do, but I think the coaching staff can take some real positives away from the experience.

Just wanted to put some information out in front of everyone. Talked to a VERY RELIABLE source on Wednesday. Actual outcome was GC 1-0 advantage over Grady with first team on first team. Were 1-1 with Midland Trinity first team on first team.

Other scores in the scrimmage were during goal line work and second teamers and AO's ( all others ) going at it . A little clearer perspective here. These guys don't play much in a real game so as we say we shall see.

Just an aside on my intro to the term ... AO. Don't know if this is commonly used term. When I was in Jr. HIgh school we got some new coaches in. I was watching the high school practice after school and Coach Blessing ( new assistant ) was directing traffic during workout. I heard him shouting - Varsity offense over here ... second team varsity defense over here ... JV on the sideline ... Freshman on the practice field ... AO's in the end zone..... There were some questioning looks and he shouted AO's, that means All Others in the end zone.

Back