If i was a coach i would run Smart routes

B6MF

Six-man fan
If i had two decently smart wrs and a good qb id run smart routes (basically id let my wrs find the open part of the field and if its they aren't open I have an option devised that would let the spreadback run or throw a dump at least one should be open.

dist_6_spec":3pwy6go6 said:
Just to stir this up a little bit. What if your WRs keep getting to the same open spot on the field?
Exactly what pop ray said, just keep hitting the open spot.

As a Wr that PLAYED sixman football, and had a good QB I think if the WR runs a good smart route someone should be open every time.

In theory, if given enough time, a receiver will always come open at some point. Not sure what a "Smart" route is compared to a "Precise" route, but we've proven in our system that just about any QB can pass for 2 or 3 thousand yards. The problem of having a spread back carry the ball, is he has to be a durable QB. We showed this year that by putting a QB across the other side of the line of scrimmage, you risk injury. Third carry of the year and he dislocates his shoulder. Back up comes in a throws for over 2,000 yards and 30 TD's. It's a risk-reward balance with the QB. If you have two RB's that can run, and two receivers that can run precision routes; there's no need for a QB to ever have to lower his shoulder and pick up extra yards. Just my opinion, but I figure it's at least worth two cents.

B6MF":13myvb6u said:
As a Wr that PLAYED sixman football, and had a good QB I think if the WR runs a good smart route someone should be open every time.

You didn't have a good QB. You had a great QB who knew his limitations. Throwing the ball to someone is completely different than anticipating where the receiver will be and hitting him in stride. You were fortunate to have him and he was fortunate to have you.

coachsatcher":lrc7qj5y said:
In theory, if given enough time, a receiver will always come open at some point. Not sure what a "Smart" route is compared to a "Precise" route, but we've proven in our system that just about any QB can pass for 2 or 3 thousand yards. The problem of having a spread back carry the ball, is he has to be a durable QB. We showed this year that by putting a QB across the other side of the line of scrimmage, you risk injury. Third carry of the year and he dislocates his shoulder. Back up comes in a throws for over 2,000 yards and 30 TD's. It's a risk-reward balance with the QB. If you have two RB's that can run, and two receivers that can run precision routes; there's no need for a QB to ever have to lower his shoulder and pick up extra yards. Just my opinion, but I figure it's at least worth two cents.

The above statement epitomizes an elven man way of thinking. Sixmanfootball is not the NFL and you do not need to change your strategy to keep your "quarterback" "spreadback" or any other position from getting hurt other than discouraging slighter players, regardless of position, from taking unnecessary punishment. The reason virtually everyone runs some type of spread can be attributed to the fact that you can force the defense to either A. assign a single man to tackle your spreadback one on one (which can be a hard thing to do) or B. send two guys after your spreadback which mathematically leaves one of your receivers open. A coach does not take advantage of this huge disadvantage for the defense if he/she tries to protect his/her quarterback/spreadback, "give him time" (which sounds like pass blocking to me which should be a big no no in sixman), and overall apply an elven-man way of thinking. Tight constitutes a different game and there is a place for eleven-man drop back passing and precision routes IF you can establish a dominate running game. However, I agree with the person who started this post whole-heartily about running what he calls "smart routes" out of spread.

It looked like Water Valley did that a lot this year. Very smart spreadback and quick, smart receivers. They were very effective in their offense with not much size

TebowTime15":2q63ekeq said:
coachsatcher":2q63ekeq said:

The above statement epitomizes an elven man way of thinking. Sixmanfootball is not the NFL and you do not need to change your strategy to keep your "quarterback" "spreadback" or any other position from getting hurt other than discouraging slighter players, regardless of position, from taking unnecessary punishment. The reason virtually everyone runs some type of spread can be attributed to the fact that you can force the defense to either A. assign a single man to tackle your spreadback one on one (which can be a hard thing to do) or B. send two guys after your spreadback which mathematically leaves one of your receivers open. A coach does not take advantage of this huge disadvantage for the defense if he/she tries to protect his/her quarterback/spreadback, "give him time" (which sounds like pass blocking to me which should be a big no no in sixman), and overall apply an elven-man way of thinking. Tight constitutes a different game and there is a place for eleven-man drop back passing and precision routes IF you can establish a dominate running game. However, I agree with the person who started this post whole-heartily about running what he calls "smart routes" out of spread.

Funny how anything different is considered an 11-man mentality; as though crowded field football is beneath us. Call it 11-man mentality all you want, but it puts up great stats and has gotten four players college offers in two years at the 6man level. If I ever learn a defense we'll be dangerous.

coachsatcher":3td60hvk said:
TebowTime15":3td60hvk said:
coachsatcher":3td60hvk said:

Funny how anything different is considered an 11-man mentality; as though crowded field football is beneath us. Call it 11-man mentality all you want, but it puts up great stats and has gotten four players college offers in two years at the 6man level. If I ever learn a defense we'll be dangerous.

Trust me you aren't the only coach who plays handicapped so don't feel special. The farther east you go the more sixman looks like elevenman.

SPOILER ALERT FOR Coolidge, Mount Calm, Penelope and anyone else who plays Buckholts: Don't cover the guys who are blocking in Buckholt's "unique and innovative" spread and I bet you can stop them.

HighwayRobbery":uu2wwnae said:
coachsatcher":uu2wwnae said:
TebowTime15":uu2wwnae said:
coachsatcher":uu2wwnae said:

Trust me you aren't the only coach who plays handicapped so don't feel special. The farther east you go the more sixman looks like elevenman.

SPOILER ALERT FOR Coolidge, Mount Calm, Penelope and anyone else who plays Buckholts: Don't cover the guys who are blocking in Buckholt's "unique and innovative" spread and I bet you can stop them.

Guess you should be a d-coordinator for any team we play. I don't think our offense is unique or innovative. We just try and play to our strengths. Several teams run a very similar offense.

I wish our coach would read this. Next year we won't have that "power" back, but will have speed. I don't believe the tight formation will work next year. Spread would allow for more one on one which helps speed.

coachsatcher":1soi5ea3 said:
I would design my offense almost exactly like the one we ran, but with a few changes like "smart" routes.

Highway robbery I don't understand your train of thought. I'm not a coach, but i played football 12 yrs of my life, and six being in buckholts. Buckholts has MANY plays to counter what you just said.

coachsatcher":18ubpfkv said:
Smart route as in the wr has a choice what to run off how the cb is playing. If the cb is deep playing loose run a slant, if he then plays tighter run that fake slant jet route. Leave it up to the wr. The QB and WR would have to be on the same page, that might turn into a problem unless your QB and WR are smart or essentially have a connection.

In my program we run # routes, and have many different pick route combinations. I use the same concept in spread whereas we never block with our up backs. If they rush 2 there's always one open, usually a dump that goes for 15. If they man up across the board it puts us in a very favorable position with only 1 man locked up on our spreadback. We also add concepts or smartroutes to our # routes. Where if you finish your route into the sideline you turn up the sideline. Posts work back to the middle. No matter where the spreadback is he always knows he has a deep sideline, dumps both sides. short sideline, and a middle route.

Back