Giving Pete his props

Copying his Jayton Concession Stand review to here....

Well, it was a new week and another concession stand to check out. Actually I was able to make it to a second game due to the fine coaching and the talent of the Loraine players.

Jayton has a nice set up, walking up to the c-stand the aroma of grilling burgers over a mesquite smoke grill was tantalizing, but I'm on a mission -- to find a the best frito pie in six man territory.

Well I can tell you this, it aint at Jayton. they don't offer Frito Pie. As I stood stunned and almost unable to speak , my mind racing, all I could manage was to ask for some nacho's that I saw them making, but I had to ask for the jalapenos.

No pie, disappointed I wandered back to the stands but managed to send word via my nephew, tha ball boy, to Coach jackson, told him it was ok to 45'em. That way I could head on down the raod to the next game and check out their Frito Pie. FYI, the nachos chips were stale and the processed cheese was yellow and that's about all im saying about that.

Game over!, ( a well played game on both teams), and I'm off to Aspermont. Now if you ever get a chance to take a game in Aspermont, do it. That is one fine stadium. But dont go there looking for a Frito Pie. That's right, no Frito pie.

NowI wished I had boughtsome gut bombs at Alsup's on the way in, as it was, all I had to look foward to was a long drive to the ranch, a hungry, long drive.

Next week I'm going to try to catch two concession stands as well, but come on guys, I need your Frito Pie reports.

FRITO PIE Al Fresco!!!!!

Another trek from big D to God's country, West Texas. Having grown up South of Midland one thing I learned and never forgot is to never, ever, wish for the rain to stop. We need the rain. Without it it gets dry, the dust blows, and the grass burrs grow.

The rain started about Weatherford and got heavier and heavier as we went West. I called to make sure the contest between Lueders-Avoca was still on. It was and we kept on coming.

Wearing my frog togs I climbed to the top of the stands and started my job as chief dawg barker. The rain was from the East and I was getting soaked on the backside. As I stood there wet and cold I saw my niece and because she's young and I'm old I sent her to fetch me a Frito Pie. Now I suspected I would get special treatment if I showed up at the C-stand but since they had not a clue who she was I knew I'd get the same Frito Pie as John Doe could expect.

WooWee it was as good as the last time, a tad smaller but still a delight. Now as I was wearing my fly fishing hat there was a fairly steady stream of runoff from the bill of my hat that seemed to find a way to drip into my pie. While the additional flavor didn't hurt much, it did seem to have a tendency to cause the cheese sauce to curdle.

Still gets a A for one of the best Frito Pies this year. And I promise to make my way to the C-stand next home game to personally order one.

To wet to plow and soaked to the bone, I didn't make a second game.

As we join Fajitapete in the search for the Holy Grail of Frito Pie, I found myself pondering Frito Pies and what constitutes a legitimate, genuine concession stand Pie.
After much consideration, I have determined that there may actually be several different types of ingredients, depending on the venue, that compliment the perfect Frito Pie.
For example if visiting a 4-H concession stand I have found that the chili tends to be homemade, often by several individuals, resulting in inconsistent quality. Granted the quality is certainly above the norm but may not be what we have come to expect in concession stand fare.
In my humble opinion, the perfect FOOTBALL Concession Stand Frito Pie must be made of gallon sized cans of chili, petroleum based cheese product and individual small bags of Fritos. Chopped onion in old 5 quart ice cream buckets may be added by the consumer as well as sliced pickled jalapenos.
Next I will begin contemplation of boats vs. slit bags…………….

Just a ways Southwest of town, off what was then known as Tower road. I guess I was 7 or 8 when the paved the road, which I thought was a crappy thing to do because until then if it rained we had a vacation day from school.

Do you know where hadacole corners was?

fajitapete":36ulekz9 said:
Just a ways Southwest of town, off what was then known as Tower road. I guess I was 7 or 8 when the paved the road, which I thought was a crappy thing to do because until then if it rained we had a vacation day from school.

Do you know where hadacole corners was?

Vaguely. I remember hearing the name.

After much consideration, I have determined that there may actually be several different types of ingredients, depending on the venue, that compliment the perfect Frito Pie.

Exactly. The chili in the Loraine Frito Pie is homemade and Excellent....but.... it's not greasy. Now this is a good thing and one of the things that I was actually marvelling about when I get my chili pie from the Loraine C-Stand. However, it was my sister Anne who once observed sometimes you just want a REALLY BAD TACO or a REALLY BAD FRITO PIE. In this case "bad" translates to "orange grease". Now you sure won't get an orange grease frito pie in Loraine but I can see how someone, in a fit of nostalgia, might hanker after one. In which case Loraine is not the venue you wish to frequent.

Also I have to agree with FajitaPete that all frito pie should have grated yeller cheese and a jalapeno. Maybe not a whole lot of hot but even if your body won't tolerate the pepper you need at least a slice of one garnishing the top of the pie for the sake of aesthetics.

The purpose of the fritos is to soak up the grease. The peppers are to make it more digestible.

My wife just made a batch of salsa using all the excess tomatoes, jalapenos, and habaneros from our garden. She will not eat it, being a yankee with a delicate digestive system, but the boys and I at nearly a quarter of it last night, sweating in the 40 degree chill.......I want to use it on some frito pie NOW!!!

I have found the ultimate Frito Pie ad it is not in Loraine. The ingrediants we be kept secret until the right time. This was found in the most unusal of places while visting Pops in Lubbock.

Vaguely. I remember hearing the name.

If you go out the FM road between Midland and Rankin it's at the only stop sign on the FM. There's only a store/cafe there, closed now, periodically someone tries to reopen it. Mostly served oil field workers on their way to a rig at 4 in the morning I'm thinking. The story went that the original owner (?) was also some sort of oil field problems troubleshooter and if he got a call to go out to the field he just left a note on the door that he "Had A Call" ... I sure know where the place is but I don't know how accurate the rest of my info is.

Wait. I just looked at as map of Texas and I may be all wrong. I'm thinking the intersection on the Rankin Highway, turn left and you go to Sprayberry Field turn right and you go to Midkiff was Hadcol corner. Am I right or wrong Pete?

Sissylue":1f21ejy4 said:
Wait. I just looked at as map of Texas and I may be all wrong. I'm thinking the intersection on the Rankin Highway, turn left and you go to Sprayberry Field turn right and you go to Midkiff was Hadcol corner. Am I right or wrong Pete?

The rest of the story:
Back in the days Midland county(and most others) was as dry as land itself. Now anyone that has slung a chain on the floor of a rig knows it gets pretty dang hot and after a long hard tour a roughneck might find his self wanting a little pick me up.

In the sprawling area commonly known as Midkiff, the local store stocked Hadacol tonic, which was between 14 and 20% grain alcohol. Since most crews stopped to catch a soda or smokes the place sold a lot of Hadacol. As the gang truck sped away, tonic was imbibed and at the next intersection, which was a T intersection, it was common to toss the bottle. There were literately hundreds of bottles at that intersection.

This way the hands got a little buzz and weren't faced with driving 40+ miles after they got home in order to get something from the not so local Pinky's.

Well bless all this modern technology. Especially that there wikii-pedia. Bell kept going off in my head this afternoon, hadacol??? The Hadacol Caravan - last of the big Medicine Shows - Bob Hope, Lucille Ball, Minnie Pearl, Hank Williams (thats where I remember it from - his biography!), among others. Contained diluted hydrochloric acid and 12% alcohol (per the label). Seems it was sold by the shot (glass) at some pharmacies in some dry counties. Groucho Marx to the inventor (a Louisiana Senator) "what's it good for?" "oh it was good for about 5 1/2 million for me last year". Listen to the cover of "Hadacol Boogie" by Jerry Lee Lewis on his 1996 LP. "Supposedly Midkiff Texas in Upton County was to have beeh named Hadacol Corner but the US Postal Service objected persumably on the basis of a registerd trademark (Patent Medicine) being used as the name of a town". Wish I'd of waited on Pete's response, kinda like his story better though they do somewhat go hand in hand.

I am in the big D and I do mean Dallas. It’s State Fair of Texas time and today I am head out to confirm the rumor that the fried treat of the year is . . . <drum roll> . . . fried Frito Pie!!!

This year there were eight fried treat entries this year:
1. Deep fried s'mores Pop-Tart - deep fried chocolate, peanut butter and s'mores Pop-Tart, battered and served with chocolate syrup and whipped cream.
2. Fried beer - beer filled battered and fried pretzel pocket.
3. Deep fried frozen maragarita - margarita flavored funnel cake served in a salt rimmed glass
4. Fried chocolate - candy bar and cherry stuffed inside a brownie, dipped in chocolate cake batter and fried. Served with cherry sauce and chocolate whipped cream.
5. Fried lemonade - lemon flavored pastry baked and fried served with lemonade glaze.
6. Fernie's fried club salad - 12" spinach wrap filled with ham, chicken, lettuce and tomatoes - deep fried and topped with croutons and served on a stick.
7. Texas fried caviar - fried black eyed peas, served with "special sauce".
8. Texas fried Frito pie - traditional Texas Frito pie, battered and deep fried.

The winner was #8 Fried Frito Pie . . . I’m gonna get me some, I’ll report back later

Back