First Amendment

texmac68

Six-man fan
I’m surprised and disappointed that the thread about Richland springs was shut down twice. Obviously people want to talk about it but we have become afraid of words. Ashamed of this site.

I’m surprised and disappointed that the thread about Richland springs was shut down twice. Obviously people want to talk about it but we have become afraid of words. Ashamed of this site.

Did you read all the posts in the original thread? Most of the posts in that thread were just bickering back and forth. If folks could have productive conversations about the topic(s) at hand, then there would never be a problem. The issues arise when folks go off-topic and resort to insults and mud-slinging. That's not what these forums were intended for, and not what they'll be used for.

I'm just as disappointed as anyone that the thread had to be closed because I'm extremely interested in the accusations, the facts and the outcome and I'm genuinely curious to hear other folk's thoughts on it. If you'd read my reasoning for closing the thread, you'd know that...specifically this line:

While I appreciate the topic being posted, and I apologize I those of you who would've liked to have had a serious discussion on this topic, I don't see that happening here this time.

That said, I'm not as interested in having to read through 20+ childish insults on my way to reading about what's actually going on, what the facts are, what the potential outcomes are and how other folks think it might turn out. I'd just rather wait until we all find out when the UIL hears the case.

Did you read all the posts in the original thread? Most of the posts in that thread were just bickering back and forth. If folks could have productive conversations about the topic(s) at hand, then there would never be a problem. The issues arise when folks go off-topic and resort to insults and mud-slinging. That's not what these forums were intended for, and not what they'll be used for.

I'm just as disappointed as anyone that the thread had to be closed because I'm extremely interested in the accusations, the facts and the outcome and I'm genuinely curious to hear other folk's thoughts on it. If you'd read my reasoning for closing the thread, you'd know that...specifically this line:

That said, I'm not as interested in having to read through 20+ childish insults on my way to reading about what's actually going on, what the facts are, what the potential outcomes are and how other folks think it might turn out. I'd just rather wait until we all find out when the UIL hears the case.
There must be a way to Suspend peoples account just as Facebook does? Folks who get out of hand that is . There is so much more out there and sooner or later it will all surface . I wouldn’t be surprised what is all uncovered . (If anything ) I’m praying to the Heaven this doesn’t Tarnish 6-man and only helps our fan base and our small Communities.

There must be a way to Suspend peoples account just as Facebook does? Folks who get out of hand that is . There is so much more out there and sooner or later it will all surface . I wouldn’t be surprised what is all uncovered . (If anything ) I’m praying to the Heaven this doesn’t Tarnish 6-man and only helps our fan base and our small Communities.

Yes, I can ban members from the site. I only really like to do that in extreme cases, though, and I didn't think that's what we had going on here this week. I am working out a process to be able to ban members from individual topics, which could help from having to shut topics down going forward, so hopefully I'll have that figured out soon.

I really do want folks to be able to discuss these kinds of things in the forums and if we could do it without any knowingly false information, insults and garbage that is completely off-topic then I don't think we'd have to shut any topics down for comments. Again, hopefully being able to ban members from specific topics in the future will help out with that a little more.

It’s not just the bad actors in the forum. I’m hearing administrators and coaches from the accused schools’ district and Mullin are getting harassed at work, on the phone, and social media. I’m not privy to any specific information, but you can’t just send this to the UIL-SEC without some justifiable proof. But so far, mums the word coming from all sides.

Anyway, good job Mike trying to keep it civil. Somebody has to be the grown and tell the kids to shut up!

I’m personally glad that you shut that topic down, along with several others. When one person can start a falsehood rolling and get others to buy in and build on it, it begins to resemble our nations capital! Russia, Russia, Russia!!

Although I do not start the mud slinging, I am guilty of slinging it. It goes against my nature (ultra competitive) to simply let falsehoods and outright lies go by. Especially about my community. I always try to keep it slightly humorous (tongue-in-cheek), although after reading some of my own posts, they don't always come across that way.

Ultimately, however, I am glad you shut down the topic. I hate censorship of any kind. But as others have said, and I agree, this is your site and your vision. You're doing a great job and you have a great product here.

Although I do not start the mud slinging, I am guilty of slinging it. It goes against my nature (ultra competitive) to simply let falsehoods and outright lies go by. Especially about my community. I always try to keep it slightly humorous (tongue-in-cheek), although after reading some of my own posts, they don't always come across that way.

Ultimately, however, I am glad you shut down the topic. I hate censorship of any kind. But as others have said, and I agree, this is your site and your vision. You're doing a great job and you have a great product here.
"Let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger: for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of of God."
- James 1:19-20

Back