Disappointed

This is not aimed at sixman, but have worked four junior high games the last two days. These have all been larger schools, but have been totally disappointed in each. We have had kids on either or both teams arguing calls, mouthing, being smarta*** to officials. Coaches who do nothing to correct them and in one case of a dead ball personal foul (late hit) coaches congratulating the offender. These are not rookie coaches, but people who at one time supposedly were varsity coaches. The cherry on top was a little guy who came up after the game and told us we sucked and told us he was going to knock the sh** out of one of the opposing players and there was nothing we could do because the game is over. Had to work real hard to keep the hands off.

I certainly hope that this has not trickled down to sixman.

i think that as a parent this our job to correct, and it starts at home.. coaches should be handled through the A D or the school board.. but it should not be swept under the carpet.

A number of years I was at a meeting put on by one of the officials association and they mentioned some statistics from the Houston TASO basketball chapter.

Seems that year, they had a very successful recruiting year. Not sure if my early Alzheimers has the numbers right, but something like 153 new officials came on board. Of course, being first year officials, most of them spent a lot of their time calling junior high and subvarsity games. Games where the players, like the officials, are learning the game.

Of those officials, only 23 remained at the end of the seaon. When asked why they quit, most mentioned the treatment they received from fans, players and coaches.

And another thing that was mentioned was that based on the new high schools and new junior highs that were slated to be opened over the next four years following, they would need to add at least 100-150 new offiicials every year to cover the increase in games. Frankly, they were worried if they could only keep 23 of 153 new officials, they would be in serious hurt.

Unfortunantly it is a sign of the times. More and more kids are showing little or no respect to authority. Whether it be coaches, parents, teachers, officials or officers. It's not what it used to be. Part of the problem is kids and adults are on first name basis. Adults spend more time trying to be kids friends than roll models or parents. Adults have only themselves to blame for the now lack of respect that is given. Kids know you can't touch them so they can say whatever they want. Unfortunantly you either have to learn to ignor it or quit. :(

I believe that coaches have an active role in this. True, parents should try and raise their children, but we all know that doesn't always happen. As a coach, I believe it is my role to coach not only on the field, but more importantly about life. Without respect for authority, these kids will never make it in life. I stress to my players to NEVER argue a call or challenge a ref. The only thing I let them say, and actually demand they say, is to thank them for officiating. True, refs miss calls, but I must honestly say that I notice they miss the calls about evenly for both sides. I know I am rambling, but I believe that it is time that we as coaches, take on a bigger role and coach our young men for life after six-man, by teaching them how to respect others and to win or lose with honor.

That is great to hear that coaches are taking that roll of enforcing character and good sportsmanship. Many times you see kids that have an attitude and the coaches do nothing because they really need them in a game. I have seen circumstances where a star player was pulled out of the game and benched for the same sort of issue. Good for those coaches! Outside of the home the next in line to enforce disciplin are Teachers, Coaches and Refs. These folks should be commended!

Melloyellow333":2qf2w1ub said:
That is great to hear that coaches are taking that roll of enforcing character and good sportsmanship. Many times you see kids that have an attitude and the coaches do nothing because they really need them in a game. I have seen circumstances where a star player was pulled out of the game and benched for the same sort of issue. Good for those coaches! Outside of the home the next in line to enforce disciplin are Teachers, Coaches and Refs. These folks should be commended!

Here in my hometown a few years ago we had a star running back who got into some trouble off the field. Coach kicked him off the team and the team suffered. This was apparently an eye opening experience for this player, who didn't get to play football his senior season. After realizing that causing trouble would get you no place, he went on to college and is now playing in the NFL.

i think our problem today is that parents do not discipline. this should never get to the school mom and dad need to step up and bust their butts and the parents themselves take some responsibilities. Oh and then the school board should have some backbone and have it in there rules that no matter what the kids don’t get to play... it shows the ethics of your leadership when you don’t act look the other way or make allowances.. the school board represents the people a school is for education and we get to see them play some. you know it wouldn’t hurt for districts no not allow the teams to participate if they don’t represent the morals and bylaws of the district in regards to ethics.
come on people stand up for what is right

im a single dad, i know its hard for parents but its doable. the ones i don’t understand is when the parents have the opportunity to be involved in the kids academic and athletic social and church lives but they had rather go to the bar, play golf, go hunting,, seems like dads are worse.
I don’t know any kids that don’t have one parent or two that are in their home,,, well lets throw grandparents aunts and uncles too.

You can't just
"throw"
grandparents into the mix.
Aunt or Uncle either!
The natural order of the family dynamic is skewed
ANY time it's not mom and dad.
I never had biological kids
so raising 2 of my grandkids is a first run for me.
I still have my share of patience left in me.
It's still not the way God intended
but for me it's closer.
Most GP I know
had exhausted their supply of patience
on their first set of kids.
(Imagine raising a Goob, Rjac, CboyP, Drifter etc. Then go another round after you get rid of them. Er, I mean after they grow up.)
It's near impossible to keep another set,
a tech savvy bunch at that,
under your thumb.

I'm not excusing them talkin back and all
but,
it's pretty easy to see why some of them are angry.

being a parent was a blessing, God must have known i might not be real good at it so he gave me two that have been a joy . I find little to complain about maybe I not finding Mrs Right to be their mom.. but that one on me

Dogface":3pljacfw said:
You can't just
"throw"
grandparents into the mix.
Aunt or Uncle either!
The natural order of the family dynamic is skewed
ANY time it's not mom and dad.
I never had biological kids
so raising 2 of my grandkids is a first run for me.
I still have my share of patience left in me.
It's still not the way God intended
but for me it's closer.
Most GP I know
had exhausted their supply of patience
on their first set of kids.
(Imagine raising a Goob, Rjac, CboyP, Drifter etc. Then go another round after you get rid of them. Er, I mean after they grow up.)
It's near impossible to keep another set,
a tech savvy bunch at that,
under your thumb.

I'm not excusing them talkin back and all
but,
it's pretty easy to see why some of them are angry.
I don't know whether to be offended or flattered that you didn't include me in your examples.

OK, Ill trade
Smokey for Drifter.

I hope you get my point.
That was one of my few attempts
at a serious commentary.
I had my boss tell me yesterday,
(she got all teary eyed, and she's pretty tough, when she told me of their homelife),
that if I expected 2 of my guys to be successful
then it was basically on me,
cuz they have no home support.
It's just the first time
I've really felt the weight.

I remember reading somewhere in a coaches' magazine that we as coaches don't just coach one team, but we actually coach two teams and the community as well. If you let that thought sink in, it's definitely a profound one. It would be tragic if we coaches caused a kid, regardless of another team, to make bad choices later in life because of our actions.

I've been privileged to hear some other coaches in six-man agree on this point. When the coach on the other sideline was just as committed to this philosophy, we had some of the best competitive games I've ever seen on the six-man level. Even when some of those games ended up with our team on the losing side of the scoreboard, everyone walked away knowing they gave their best.

"Whoever causes one of these little ones to believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea . . ."

The thrill of victory is short-lived, but a coach's positive influence can last a lifetime. And that goes for both sidelines.

Back