College Scouts

diesing

11-man fan
This is my first year coaching football. One of my potential players asked how playing for a TCAL division II program might effect his chances of getting scouted by a college. Would he be better off playing for a TCAL division I program?

What can I tell players interested in my program about college scouts and college scholarships?

Same question for home school vs private vs public school programs.

Same question for 6-man vs 11-man.

I don't care what the answer is. I just want to be able to tell my players the truth.

diesing":29au6o7s said:
This is my first year coaching football. One of my potential players asked how playing for a TCAL division II program might effect his chances of getting scouted by a college. Would he be better off playing for a TCAL division I program?

What can I tell players interested in my program about college scouts and college scholarships?

Same question for home school vs private vs public school programs.

Same question for 6-man vs 11-man.

I don't care what the answer is. I just want to be able to tell my players the truth.

While I was watching the NCAA basketball finals, the NCAA ran an ad saying that most college athletes go pro in a field other than athletics.

UIL publishes some statistics (found on page 13 of the following PDF file: http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics/man ... mation.pdf)

Briefly, the stats are as follows

983,600 High school students play football (all levels, private six man to UIL 5A eleven man)
281,000 of those are seniors

There are 56,500 roster spots in NCAA football (You can probably add a couple thousand for NAIA and junior colleges).

Of that number, 16,200 are for freshmen (ie scholarships offered; although some levels, like NCAA D-3 do not have athletic scholarships)

That means 5.8% of all high school senior football players will play some college football.
Of the college players, only 2.0% are ever drafted by NFL teams. That's 0.09% of all high school players going pro (9 of 10,000).

Now, I love six man football. But I'd be lying to you if I told you to tell your kids they were going to have an opportunity to "get scouted." In fact, I think that the possibility of "getting scouted" at TCAL, TCAF or TAPPS sixman football schools (and probably UIL sixman) is somewhere between zero and my chances of winning the Texas Lottery jackpot without buying a ticket. D-1 vs D-2 won't change that a bit.

I think I'm fairly safe to say that most colleges who actually go out and scout football players in the fall are not attending many sixman football games, public or private. But I could be wrong.

Do kids who play private school sixman football play college football? Yes. Not a lot, but there are a few. I think the kicker for Abilene Christian Univ. played at a TAPPS school. I know of another who is at D-3 Wheaton College (Illinois). Some of us on the TAPPS board came up with a couple more names.

Those who have experience in coaching can tell you the procedure, but basically, if you have a kid who wants to play some level of college football, that kid is going to have to sell himself to the college coaches. Films, workout, open tryouts, stuff like that.

If you're planning to come to our coaching clinic in Seguin, we will have a college coach (the def. coord. from San Antonio's Incarnate Word, a new NCAA D-2 program) to speak at the clinic. Besides talking about blocking and tackling, we've asked him to answer questions from coaches on how to get their kids in front of college coaches.

I know that most of this answer has been to toss bucket after bucket of cold water on some kid's (or maybe some dad's) dream. But it's realistic. Go for the dream, but realize that most kids don't make it in the pros.

I remember several years back, we had an opponent who had a basketball player -- good kid, and on his team (which stunk on ice), he did everything but sell popcorn at halftime. Decent athlete, but the coach called me at the end of the season and asked me to write a letter of recommendation to the head basketball coach at UT to see if he could get him a basketball scholarship. I gently remined my friend that maybe he should look at smaller schools in the area, because in my limited ability, I couldn't see the kid as D-1 basketball material. Or the other story, about the kid who transfered to another private school after finishing 8th grade with us) because his summer coach (who was also the other school's basketball coach) told his dad that if the kid came to play for him, he could get a basketball scholarship to Duke University (yes, the same Duke that won Monday night).

This year is that kid's senior year. I've yet to read about him signing a letter of intent for that school. And I check the sports pages every day ...

Hey Coach!

I have recruiters scheduled to watch my boys because we sent film and made phone calls and sent emails. It's not that hard to google school's AD's and contact them. They may or may not reply but God honors hard work and perseverance! I would never tell my player that he would have a better chance somewhere else. No top notch program ever becomes top notch with out hard work! If we send our kids to public school just to give them a better chance, we will always be the school that sends them somewhere else. I'm sure there are occasions where sending them to a larger program would be the right thing to do. But, their spiritual being is much more important than their football career! Remember, God is in control! Prayerfully consider all options and God will open the doors that He wants for His children, for His glory!

Interesting idea how a few Houston area coaches have helped to get more of their players the opportunity to play college ball ... and get a college education.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/spo ... 64034.html

Commentary: Shining a light on local football talent
By RICHARD JUSTICE
Houston Chronicle
April 17, 2010

It all started at Milby High School when two good men decided to light a candle instead of curse the darkness.

From frustration grew action. From action grew opportunity. Because of two men, Phil Camp and Coby Rhoden, dozens of kids have seen their college dream realized.

Chris Vaughan and the Touchdown Club did their part, too, and so did the Greater Houston Football Coaches Association.

The Texans opened their doors and hearts.

Suddenly, one day last February, there was the amazing sight of 311 high school football players who hadn't been recruited working out and meeting 18 college coaches at Reliant Park.

Supply meets demand. At least 94 kids received four-year football scholarship offers totaling $6 million, and that's a conservative estimate as word of signings continues to come in.

“I'm guessing it's closer to 120 kids,” said Rhoden, the Play It Smart coach at Milby. “I can verify 94, but we had kids from Lovelady, Bonham, all over.”

Even if it's $6 million, that's $6 million in opportunity and double the $3 million that 190 kids got in the first year of the program.

And this is just a start. With the Texans increasing their support, and with more and more people getting the word out, the program will keep growing.

“We'd like to have 500 kids and 50 colleges next year,” said Camp, the head football coach at Milby.

Rhoden added, “Every school gave about a quarter-million dollars in scholarships, so the more schools we bring down, the more Houston kids get.”

Parade of philanthropists

This is one of those stories about the good guys winning one, about a whole bunch of people caring about kids and doing their part to make this old world better.

There's HISD athletics director Daryl Wade, who challenged his coaches to find more scholarship money. There's Milby principal Richard Barajas, who supported Camp and Rhoden every step of the way.

And there are almost a hundred coaches who have helped, including, as usual, Ray Seals at Madison and Chuck Arnold at Jefferson Davis.

Frenchy's did its part, and Texans president Jamey Rootes keeps asking if there's anything else he can do. I apologize to all the people I haven't mentioned. I wish I could give all of you a parade.

In the beginning, there was just Camp and Rhoden. Two years ago, they were frustrated that more of their football players hadn't received scholarships.

These kids weren't great players, but they were plenty good enough to play somewhere. And they had good grades. Camp and Rhoden knew smaller schools around the country sometimes came to Houston, set up shop at a hotel room and asked coaches to bring players over.

So Camp telephoned Mark Gardner, the head coach at Tabor College in Hillsboro, Kan. He then phoned his old friend Danny Padron, recently hired as head coach at Texas Lutheran.

Meanwhile, Rhoden began firing off e-mails to college coaches, high school coaches, anyone he and Camp could think of.

They'd hit a nerve. In almost no time, 50 kids had signed up and a dozen colleges said they'd be there. Here's the rub. To participate, a kid had to have good grades because the focus was on NAIA and Division III schools — where student-athletes really are student-athletes.

“Not all these coaches understand how good Texas high school football is,” Camp said. “It doesn't matter whether you're a Class A player like the kids from Lovelady or the Class 5A kids from Lamar. They get great coaching. We had nine kids from Lovelady, and every one of them got an offer. These kids deserve a chance.”

That first year, 190 kids gathered on the field at Milby, and that afternoon, scholarship offers poured in. Camp and Rhoden were amazed.

“If we can give them the chance to go to college, that's what we're supposed to do as coaches,” Camp said. “I started thinking about this six or seven years ago when these recruiting services were charging these kids $1,500-$2,000 and promised them a scholarship. Instead of charging these kids $1,500-$2,000, let's do it for free.”

Studious and athletic

At Milby — and other HISD schools in poor areas — sports can be an opportunity.

“I believe that in poor schools, the athletes are the leaders,” Rhoden said. “I can prove it. I've got all the data right here. Our TAKS scores are all better in every subject except one.”

Why?

“No pass, no play. Our kids have to be here every day or they can't play. I had 51 athletes last year, and we did over $1 million in academic scholarships. We've got four kids from the football team in the top-10 percent of our graduating class, four kids from the baseball team in the top 10 percent, five kids on the basketball team in the top 10 percent. The valedictorian is on the tennis team.”

Every day is a challenge at places like Milby. Kids get distracted or go to work at night, or they get tired of losing games 56-0.

What Rhoden and other Play It Smart coaches attempt to make kids understand is that sports and good grades can lead to something they might not have thought possible. And isn't that the best kind of good deed?

“We don't (care) about finding the next great defensive end for the University of Houston or the next great linebacker for Oklahoma,” Rhoden said. “We just need to get these kids in college.”

[email protected]

For kids to play in college, they need to send in their stats, film of them during the season, good scores on the sat, go to the football clincs during the summer, get to know the coaches and get to know them, and pray that God will help you get to play the next level. Good luck to those who want to play in college!

If a young man wants to play in college I think he should be given the opportunity. I played at Hardin-Simmons, 4 year letterman, and had the time of my life. It is a small D-3 college but is a college that is very competitive and one of the tops in the Nation at the Division 3 level. My head coach in high school looked me square in the eye and said these words to me, "brad you are to small and do not have the heart to play college football. Believe me I played college football and you are not who they want." Well needless to say that drove me to play even more. So four years later I go back to my "head coach" with 3 championship rings lay them on his desk and said that's what too small and having no heart does for you, in a very chrsitian manner mind you!!! ok im lying, i was still pissed. But i said that to say this, granted i do have some in's, but I vowed that I would never ever tell a kid no to college football. If they want to play I would do whatever I could do to help them get to that level. So coach if he wants to play, he is going to have to do some things for himself but I think you should help or contact other coach's that might have some contacts at the college level. It CAN happen.

I agree with Cowboy. If a player comes to me and demonstrates on the field, practice and in the class room, I will do everything I have to to make it happen for them. Coming from a 5A program, I can tell you that with over 300 players in their program and 88 of them on varsity any given night, only a handful demonstrate those commitments. Many want to be on the field but don't show the skill set to play at the next level. In the 5A they have a let down in that most smaller schools have less than what they are accustom to, so they dont persue it.

In Sixman, a player has to be on top of their game. We all have contacts and associations. Most colleges get too much film and most coaches at that level don't even give much credit to the film. They want to see a full game. They understand that the film you are sending them is the Best. College coaches want to win and want the players that can help them do that. As a coach, if you have that player, then pick up the phone and call the colleges that the player wants to go. Knowing the player, call the colleges that the player could help. Example: Player is a runner then you may not want to call a spread offense, etc.

Hope this helps but keep it simple and pick up the phone and sell that player. Sell that player to the teams you play and always be asking other coaches. If I can be of any help let me know. If the player is awesome, have them transfer to my school... just kidding... LOL...

Back