College Recruiting

brodeo

11-man fan
I was wondering whether recruiters ever pay much attention to 6-man games. Also, of the kids who've walked on or been recruited to play in college, how have their college careers gone?

Thanks!
Ben

I don't much about recruiters and if they pay much attention to sixman. I know of three kids that are currently playing in college.

Dante Johnson - Played at San Antonio Castle Hills, RB, 6ft, 230 he's at Mary Hardin Baylor
Andre Ross - Played at Calvert, LB, 6'2, 250 he's at Texas Tech
Calvin Hill - Played at Waco Live Oak, DB, 6'1, 205 he's at Baylor

I'm sure there are more, these are just the 3 that I know of off the top my head.

If anybody knows of any other current sixman players in college please post them.

They pay attention but the head coach has got to help get the players info out and sell them. My son is being looked at by 5 D1 schools and 15 D2 schools. I asked one college coach if his move from 11-man to six-man would impact his recruitment, the coach told me, "Throwing the football is throwing the football."

Its on us as coaches to promote our players.

techster2000":gfkdxiey said:
I know Texas Tech was looking at Gary Farqhuar, think he ended up going to Midwestern. Think he's running track at Tech now.
He is still listed on the Midwestern State Football roster online.

If a kid can play, doesn't matter where he is they will find him. If he can't, doesn't matter where he is they won't want him. Quote from a Hawaii recruiter.

I believe it is the responsibility of the player and his/her family to get the attention of a prospective school. A coach must be careful recommending players to colleges, for when they bust the coach's rep. is affected and future assistance with other more deserving kids is damaged. There are dozens of entities that make it their business to help kids and colleges hook up.

Texas Tech alumni started calling us about Tyler the Sunday after we won the 2004 state championship, his freshman year. We spoke to many from Tech and several other schools. Looking back they always said several things consistently.

One, pay attention to his academics.
Two, play as many sports as he could, with emphasis on basketball and track, CC too.
Keep him safe from risqué entanglements.
And it would help if we would win another title or two.

His sophomore year I asked one why they wanted him to run CC. He said didn't matter how fast he ran, it revealed and strengthened his character.
We did everything but the Cross Country.

I don't see how cross country can help a football player. I know it's just a 5K but you still lose a little weight and with most meets Saturday morning could lead to cramping issues.

Reveals and builds Character. They want athletes with physical and mental toughness.

Here is a little ditty that might help. At the first week of practice in Sul Ross the defensive staff wanted to try Ty at cornerback. He told them he had never played there but they insisted because of his size. The first drill was a Press Man technique on a wide-out who played the previous year. Mark said he heard the coaches chuckle when it was their time to go. After three or four unsuccessful tries to get off the LOS the Coach started jumping and screaming "He ain't no pu--y, he ain't no pu--y, I told you guys he wasn't no pu--y.

BE":56d9ipam said:
If a kid can play, doesn't matter where he is they will find him. If he can't, doesn't matter where he is they won't want him. Quote from a Hawaii recruiter.

I believe it is the responsibility of the player and his/her family to get the attention of a prospective school. A coach must be careful recommending players to colleges, for when they bust the coach's rep. is affected and future assistance with other more deserving kids is damaged. There are dozens of entities that make it their business to help kids and colleges hook up.

Texas Tech alumni started calling us about Tyler the Sunday after we won the 2004 state championship, his freshman year. We spoke to many from Tech and several other schools. Looking back they always said several things consistently.

One, pay attention to his academics.
Two, play as many sports as he could, with emphasis on basketball and track, CC too.
Keep him safe from risqué entanglements.
And it would help if we would win another title or two.

His sophomore year I asked one why they wanted him to run CC. He said didn't matter how fast he ran, it revealed and strengthened his character.
We did everything but the Cross Country.

Coach how many D1 schools contacted you about Tyler?

I tried to talk him into walking on at A&M. Said it would take him two or three years to learn their game, but he was concerned that a program like their's wouldn't appreciate his kind of talent. He didn't believe me when I said the way sixman could be played was the wave of the future in college, and maybe some NFL teams.

I think three years later Johnny Football proved those sentiments prophetic,

Back