Buckholts/Pink

Basically it boils down to poor communication between BISD staff and parents. As well as undermining some authority.

The students who refused to remove pink items Saturday weren’t allowed to play, he said, to ensure the district didn’t violate University Interscholastic League rules.

The district has ordered pink-ribbon helmet decals, which the UIL allows, Dykstra said.

“Unfortunately, the pink decals did not arrive in time for Saturday’s game,” he wrote

You wouldn't let them wear pink clothing but the decal would have been ok?

He contradicts himself just about every other sentence. Sounds like a great guy to work for.

Buckholts gonna Buckholts I guess

The kids were told not to wear pink...they wore it anyways. They broke the rules, regardless if you believe it was a good rule or not they must face the consequences. That's life!! The bigger problem is that the parents support their lack of discipline! This generation believes they can do whatever they want and the parents never correct them because they wanna be buddies. This is clearly a discipline issue not a lack of support for breast cancer but everyone wants to fight the wrong battles these days. Maybe its time for Buckholts to look in the mirror....seems like its one drama after another in Badger country!

RoyalandGold":tbhz2oml said:
The kids were told not to wear pink...they wore it anyways. They broke the rules, regardless if you believe it was a good rule or not they must face the consequences. That's life!! The bigger problem is that the parents support their lack of discipline! This generation believes they can do whatever they want and the parents never correct them because they wanna be buddies. This is clearly a discipline issue not a lack of support for breast cancer but everyone wants to fight the wrong battles these days. Maybe its time for Buckholts to look in the mirror....seems like its one drama after another in Badger country!

Don't disagree with you at all. Its obvious the kids did not comply with the directive set by either the head coach or Supt. and they do need to have consequences for their behavior and lack of respect for authority. That is one issue and it seemed to be addressed by the players not playing. Every coach is going to handle their discipline in the way they see fit for their program and I completely respect that. Don't get me started on the parent thing...parenting has changed dramatically.

It seems like their is just a lot of confusion and mixed messages in this situation and maybe the message wasn't clearly communicated to all parties just by reading the excerpts from articles.

CT6MFL":1h8rmkyq said:
Speaking of UIL, what are the current UIL rules on uniforms?
Schools may host a contest in recognition of a charitable cause under the following conditions:
The contest of competition may be held during any one week of the designated sport season (to be determined by each individual school).
No exceptions will be allowed to NFHS or NCAA uniform rule.
No jerseys or uniforms will be allowed for contest that do not represent the school colors.
A commemorative ribbon of non-school color may be worn on the jersey or school-issued uniform.
Officials may be allowed to use a colored whistle or modified uniform in accordance with UIL guidelines.
Colored game balls will not be allowed, however they may be used during any warm-up period prior to the contest.

From the NCAA rule book:
1-4-4-h. Players of a team must wear socks or leg coverings that are identical in color and design (Exceptions:Unaltered knee braces, tape or a bandage to protect or prevent an injury, and barefoot kickers).

UIL EXCEPTION: 1-4-4-h. Add: (EXCEPTION: Players may wear white sweat socks.)

On a philosophical note though, officials are not going to be "sock police" at this level. We are going to let them play football!

a towel and some socks... I saw a team on the news that had school color jerseys with pink numbers.

I think even officials know not to mess with breast cancer.

side note....in 15 years of coaching high school football, I have NEVER had an official say to a team they had to have the same color or style of socks.....I have occasionally, in basketball, had officials delay the start of a basketball game due to undershirts not being the regulation, but never a sock issue.

After reading that letter from the Superintendent, all I can say is "Dirk D. Dykstra for President!"
(typical politician, talks all the way around the subject and never makes a bit of sense)

Texman301":ruv2zc2v said:
side note....in 15 years of coaching high school football, I have NEVER had an official say to a team they had to have the same color or style of socks.....I have occasionally, in basketball, had officials delay the start of a basketball game due to undershirts not being the regulation, but never a sock issue.

Basketball is a complete different animal. I have seen a butth*** basketball coach protest to the official about the oppositions jerseys being a little off-white in color, and have technical fouls called on each opposing player at the start of the game.

There are many ways to argue the situation, but in reality, no ref or UIL representative has said anything "Yet".

Let me ask you this. What if Oglesby was more a traditionalist community in respect to sports and would have said, "hey what’s up with the pink" and filed a complaint with the UIL?

It would have probably made 5 minutes on the news, and most likely Buckholts would have been given a slap on the hand, but what did you really teach the team?

I see no need to blame the coach, for "possibly" following the rules. He might have been just an ahole but my coach dropped me off 3 miles from school and said see ya soon.

You would have a better argument against lax refs abroad.

If the kids wanted to show cause to Breast cancer awareness month there were numerous other ways to do it.

Sounds like you dont want a job in buckholts... seems the kids probably already knew it was going to be an issue before they got off the bus ready to play.. otherwise they would have just taken the gear off..

You dont need to wear something pink every game in October to show your support for cancer awareness. Plan a HOME game, start a fundraising activity (shirts with proceeds going to cancer research fund), get the wordout, maybe invite a few cancer survivors or with cancer to come be guests of honor.
That goes alot further than throwing a fit and quitting on your teammates because your coach tells you to change socks.

Back