Best six-man players of all-time

Oh crap that's right. The other guy from Cherokee I was referring to was Robert Williams..
Man coach Maddox could really get those kids to play hard...

Blurred history and I am probably going to blur it some more. Charlie Grey was indeed a fast athlete. (We are talking sub-10 seconds at 100 yards.) But his senior year of football,(1969)he was playing the wing in a wing T formation. He was the lead blocker for the tailback and they used his speed on counters and reverses. The tailback for Cherokee that year was a guy named Duarte or something like that. He wasn't as fast as Charlie Grey (who was?), but was very shifty and hard to tackle. Oh, and he was even smaller than Charlie. Roddy Maddax was not the head coach at this time, he was the assistant. I want to say that the head coach died of a heart attack sometime in the early 70's and Roddy was moved into the head job at that time. I don't remember if this was before or after Cherokee's first state run.

Billy Jones was the coach at Cherokee before Roddy. I can’t remember if he won a state championship or not. I’ll look at the sign today on the way to llano......... and Charley was fast. Nearly as fast as his dad.........

Rcblank85":14zl0bzq said:
Yea I guess I'm thinking of another guy..but sure seems there was a Gray in the 80's at Cherokee. I'll ask Lito.
Don’t remember any Gray’s in the 80’s...... Roddy’s son may have been there in the early 80’s......

smokeyjoe53":j150h8gz said:
Rcblank85":j150h8gz said:
Yea I guess I'm thinking of another guy..but sure seems there was a Gray in the 80's at Cherokee. I'll ask Lito.
Don’t remember any Gray’s in the 80’s...... Roddy’s son may have been there in the early 80’s......

Scott and Mark Gray played in 80's. Cousins to Charlie. According to my friend from Cherokee who played then. Also he said Cherokee had a guy named Ken Gray, no relationship to the others, that played at Cherokee when it was 11man and went on to play NFL...like I say he's the Cherokee guru. Lol

Lito says a guy named Manuel Beltran should be in the conversation...73-76. In the 6man hall of fame. If any one remembers this guy share it with us...I know Cherokee was always a contender in that era..

Cherokee’s first championship was in 73. The cousins are Marty Gray’s boys. Ken Gray recently passed away in llano. I think he moved there to play high school ball

smokeyjoe53":solnvwc5 said:
Cherokee’s first championship was in 73. The cousins are Marty Gray’s boys. Ken Gray recently passed away in llano. I think he moved there to play high school ball

Yes. Lito said Ken played two years at Cherokee then transferred...

Jackson, Miles, and Hoskins are the best I ever saw play myself. That said, we've always watched, but I got back into six man closer three or four years ago. Every year I see a few that I feel like are really good and this year was no exception to that.

Found this in the Athens Review Archives under Six Man All Century Team:
http://www.athensreview.com/sports/a-ru ... 8a921.html

Offense

• Tyler Ethridge, Back, Richland Springs

• Jamie Humphries, Back, Panther Creek

• Damien Jackson, Back, Trinidad

• DeWayne Miles, Back, Amherst

• Trey Richey, Back, Jayton

• James Stocks, Back, Grandfalls-Royalty

Defense

• Brandley Brunson, Linebacker, Silverton

• Jim Ed Kostiha, Linebacker, Gordon

• Johnathan Lindsey, Defensive Lineman, Strawn

• Jerry Miller, Defensive Line, Guthrie

• Jack Pardee, Linebacker, Christoval

• Monte Richburg, Linebacker, Highland

Best of all time is always a great debate. Allow me to change it up a little and ask who are the best 6 man private school players of all time or best private school players of the last 10 years.

Here is my list of players.

Colby Boozer Dallas Covenant
Colt Laird Katy
Bradley Ruiz Harvest Christian
David Kleban Emery
Samai Massaquoi Abilene Christian
Eli Achilles Brackens

coachsatcher":q2ndnt2h said:
Found this in the Athens Review Archives under Six Man All Century Team:
http://www.athensreview.com/sports/a-ru ... 8a921.html

Offense

• Tyler Ethridge, Back, Richland Springs

• Jamie Humphries, Back, Panther Creek

• Damien Jackson, Back, Trinidad

• DeWayne Miles, Back, Amherst

• Trey Richey, Back, Jayton

• James Stocks, Back, Grandfalls-Royalty

Defense

• Brandley Brunson, Linebacker, Silverton

• Jim Ed Kostiha, Linebacker, Gordon

• Johnathan Lindsey, Defensive Lineman, Strawn

• Jerry Miller, Defensive Line, Guthrie

• Jack Pardee, Linebacker, Christoval

• Monte Richburg, Linebacker, Highland

Ya Granger and I help put together a list of players for the fans to vote on when the UIL held their all-century team stuff a few years back...it was a pretty cool deal! I believe you can find the whole them on on UIL's website...they had a 1st, 2nd and 3rd team

Back