Best player

play2win

Six-man fan
I'm sure it's been brought up before. But who is the best player you have actually seen live. I saw josh Gallegos from Robert lee. Chris ogle from eden. Qb from blanket around 2008. Last name box I think.

In no particular order, Charlie Gray of Cherokee in the early '70's, Jason Vogel of Richland Springs in the 90's, Tyler Etheridge of Richland Springs and Gary Farquar of Throckmorton more recently. From a defensive perspective Will Riley of Throcmorton was fun to watch. He'd knock em down, help them up then knock em down again.............

smokeyjoe53":ntl5ze03 said:
There were some more from the '60's but I can't remember that far back.........

I've read that if you can remember the 60's you weren't really there...
I remember Bonanza, and the Ice Bowl.

Offense, TE, Johnny Abbott of Strawn. Defense, Johnny Parsons, 03, and Jonathan Lindsey, 08, both of Strawn.

I have seen a lot (name anyone from 1993 to present and I've probably seen them) and there is without a doubt in my mind the best was Dewayne Miles

Of the ones mentioned by Billy...I would say Lyle Campbell was as good as Tyler Ethridge

Tyler Etheridge
Big boy from Calvert in 2002 State Game(cannot for the life of me remember his name,he is a police officer for the city of Franklin now)
Jaquan Thompson
Keenon Ward(Plays for Texas Tech now)
Deenom Reeves

play2win":39xbl7gu said:
what six man school did keenon ward play for? his bio says he came out of snyder high school.

Keenon Ward was just from Snyder. I was a student athletic trainer for Tech a couple years ago and got to know him pretty well when he was on scout team. Played QB and converted to Safety.

play2win":3h3gdmv3 said:
what six man school did keenon ward play for? his bio says he came out of snyder high school.
Keenon Ward played for Pine Drive Christian in Dickinson,Texas
Best Players I have ever seen play
Dewayne Miles - Amherst
Trey Richey -Jayton
Mike Morales -Jayton
Tyler Ethridge -Richland Springs

51eleven":xapja3rm said:
smokeyjoe53":xapja3rm said:

Offense, TE, Johnny Abbott of Strawn. Defense, Johnny Parsons, 03, and Jonathan Lindsey, 08, both of Strawn.

Revision. I guess my selective memory purposely forgot the one game I saw him play.
Damien Jackson, 1998, Trinidad.

51eleven":1a8vqb90 said:
51eleven":1a8vqb90 said:
smokeyjoe53":1a8vqb90 said:

Revision. I guess my selective memory purposely forgot the one game I saw him play.
Damien Jackson, 1998, Trinidad.
Jackson was a prime academic too! I bet Coach Mallory could give us some insight on Damien Jackson with no research required.

The best 13 football players I saw in the flesh. These are in a particular order.

#1 Tyler Earl Ethridge RS

#2 Lyle Campbell Gordon

#3 Gary Farquar Throck', Chudej GC, Jared Hicks RS
#4 Brandon Hoskins Whit, Bo Simpson Trent, Damien Jackson Trinidad, Parsley Crowell
#5 Denim Reeves RS, Cole Freeman Follett, Brandon Purcell May, J. Abbott Strawn

Didn't see the greats from Jayton, Highland, Amherst, Lohn and Ft. Hancock in person. Saw Salinas from Mullin twice, but cant recall his defensive abilities.
Rocky Reyna of Whitharral, Mark Williams and Shelby Smith of RS should be on a list.
And the little rocket from Throckmorton, 2004-2006 could be argued for.

I can't remember which of the Morris brothers from Ira I saw In Hico a few years back, Gordon throttled him that day, but lost in the last seconds. But based on his record (s ?), he or they should be up for consideration here.
Also, regarding the three I mentioned from Strawn, I neglected to mention Trey Doyle, Sr 09. An integral part of the 08 State championship, the dominant part of their return to that game in 09. No excuses, but it's a shame his foot was injured for it.
It's hard to pick one player.

Back