Best 6-Man Passers of all Time

I think you missed my point by 180 degrees. I'm saying that a soft schedule doesn't make you not as good. Not that Steele wasn't good.

Again, 1996 RS was ONE of the TEN games that Sidney played. I don't think playing one "better than their record shows" team, invalidates my point. But I'll concede. Steele played a tough schedule, and had great numbers, therefore great qb. (I always thought he was a great qb, but playing a soft schedule, according to some, invalidates that. In other words, I don't think that, (what was it? 6?) only 6 quality teams out of ten games should be counted towards his stats. I think the other 4 games should count just as much.)

Speaking of soft schedules:
2007 RS, So that must invalidate TE's accomplishments.
2012 RS, soft schedule, sorry Chance.
2009 RS, could it be any softer? guess the coaches kid wasn't so great afterall.

Note: Normally, I wouldn't post this note, but since I don't actually believe that a soft schedule makes you less of an athlete, you play who you play, you do what you do. I just don't want the rabid RS fans thinking I'm actually degrading them. Just showing that some of the greatest players, who have great numbers, didn't always come from the teams with the toughest schedules.

Should JJ Watts have to put an asterisk by his 20 1/2 sacks because they played Tennessee and Jacksonville twice each this year? Or is his 20 1/2 sacks still impressive?

Johnny South":ujlt3gaa said:
Just my two cents worth, again. The supporting cast has a lot to do with the passer's stats. Sometimes you see a kid trying to carry the load who has a lot of ability, but not much help.
That I will agree with. And will also add that sometimes a really great receiver will make an average quarterback look like an all state quarterback.

Just a note. I did not make the schedule for the 96 team. It was murder's row, we did beat Mullin, Zephyr had 18 seniors that year. None of that matters about subject. Coach Steele was a tremendous player and passer, he had a receiver (name escapes me) but he could hunk the pig skin. Not sure about his stats but he would be up in the conversation about sure nough good uns.

Back on topic...

Man I love researching stats! Prime Example of how it turns into a beat your head on the wall type endeavor...

The three sources I have that lists Craig Steele's passing stats for the 1995 season:

Abilene Reporter News Article naming him to their All-Big Country team at the end of the season:
107-215 for 2109 yards and 43 TDs (no INTs listed)

1996 Issue of Dave Campbell's Magazine:
2,274 yards passing (that's it)

1996 issue of Six-Man Illustrated:
2,274 yards passing (again that is all...but does mention that he accounted for 3061 yards and 61 TDs)

Likely the ARN article did not include the playoff game stats and is a reg. season only stat line...which they like to do but they are never consistent and never tell the read if it is reg season only or whole season stats...ARN varies from year to year on which stat line they use...thus proving my point you should always double or quadruple check you sources!

I'm looking up the other great private school passing QB...Bill Climer and his 1993 season at Happy Hill...he had some crazy stats I remember...and one of his receivers did as well...

Looking back at some of Granger's old Huntress Reports

1995 Season:

Bryan Nichols, Cotton Center - 187-393 for 2293 yards 22 TDs 12 INTs (10 games)
Eric Clawson, Dell City - 114-185 for 1467 yards 18 TDs 8INTs (says in 8 games)

I got Steele's reg. season stat line (107-215 for 2109 yards 42 TDs and 10 INTs) and his yards and TDs from the playoff game (237 yards 3TDs)...just need to get his full stat line from the playoff game to know his full season stat line...

Cotton Center had two receivers who had ungodly stats that year. The problem is do not think they won a game or maybe one or two. Just saying.

I was on the receiving end of many of Craig Steele's passes, and I can say based on playing with him for three years, he had a couple of skills that I have not seen from another spread back in my many years of being around the game. These skills were arm strength and accuracy. His stats alone put him in the conversation, but his arm strength and accuracy strengthen the argument for him to be amongst the best six man qbs of all time. My senior season was his jr year, and yes our defense struggled, but we would often take over after a score at the 20, Craig would line up 15 yards deep, take a three step drop, and drop the ball 55-60 yards downfield with pinpoint accuracy. I would also put Howdy Byars in the conversation.

You guys are doing great!
Thanks also to those of you who have private messaged me with your stats. When I get them all compiled, hopefully Leman Saunders will help me validate all of the stats for accuracy, at least on the top rated passers.

I still need the # of TD's for Shannon Forehand if anyone knows that please share it.

I am surprised that we haven't had someone share INTs on these impressive passers thus far. Hopefully we will get some official stats on some of these.

Name Team  Comp.-Att.-Yds.--TDs - Year - games - INT
Mitch Parsley Sr. Crowell INT???
Tyler Ethridge St. Richland Springs 116-154-2491-55 TD's - 2007
Dakota Woods Sr. Follett 118-148--2264--44 TD's - 2013
Daniel Sears Water Valley 48-73-1178--23 TD's - 2003
Tyler Ethridge Fr. Richland Springs 112-168-2275--53 TD's - 2004
Damiyne Durham Sr. Oakwood 48-74--1196--21 TD's - 2013
Adrian Hernandez Fort Davis 50-78-1372--20 TD's - 2008
Ty Means Sanderson 119-118-2711--56 TD's - 2003
Haustin Burkhart Richland Springs 82-124-1784--36 TD's - 2009
Wes Kellner Ira 76-133-1632--43 TD's - 2003
Ricky Mendoza Valley 59-92-1367--25 TD's - 2011
Tyler Ethridge Jr. Richland Springs 143-213-3038--54 TD's -2006

Hopefully we will continue to get some really good stats coming in.

So far I have 23 passers with complete stats including INTs, our top QB rating has only less than 1300 yards passing & only 24 TD's but completed 79% of his passes & 1 of every 3 was for a TD. His QB Rating is 234.

The next on this list had over twice as many yards & twice as many TDs. It is impressive how the QB Rating evaluates all of a passer's stats & rewards those whose stats show them to be one of the most complete passers in the game from multiple angles.

One of the great things about this thread is that lots of us are enjoying the experience of going down memory lane. Some of these passers we remember for accuracy, some for total yards, some for points scored, some for their dual threat, some for the games they played & others for the amazing wins, etc. Regardless of how they rank in the QB Rating, we are compiling a list of some of the best passers of all time. Thanks to everyone for your input, especially Craig's receiver who shared his first post on this thread with clarity and passion. That is fantastic!

Keep it coming!

The Correct 2014 stat line for Mitchell Parsley is:

95-130 for 2283 yards 54 TDs 1 INT in 14 games played (the other post was his stat line entering the state game)

just about 57% of his completions were TDs!

Had the priviledge of coaching Shannon Forehand in the all-star game. Was tremendous, had a couple of guys from some place called Jayton also, forget their names. Ha However, Shannon had the ability to line up under center and lateral the ball to an end from between the center's legs. Danged thing I ever saw and do not think ever saw anyone else do it. Anyway, just a tale, now if I could remember those two guys from Jayton's name, I would wish them a Happy New Year. Ha

This is a little off topic, but more like supporting info. From the 2011 NCAA statisticians' handbook.

16. PASS EFFICIENCY—To determine pass-efficiency rating points, multiply a player’s yards per attempt by 8.4, add his completion percentage, add his touchdown percentage multiplied by 3.3, then subtract his interception percentage multiplied by 2. It is recommended that you use a calculator
for computations. Maintain the deci mal point selector in the floating position and carry out all final percentages to two decimal places.

NOTE: The pass-efficiency formula is computed to make 100.0 the average quarterback or team rating by using the multipliers 8.4, 3.3 and 2.0 with factors two, three and four, respectively.

Chris Tarvin (Sr) Granbury Cornerstone 2011
138-224 2224 yds. 33 tds. 7 int. 12 GP

Brendon Brawley (Jr) Granbury Cornerstone 2012
66-106 1641 yds. 33 tds. 2 int. 12 GP

Tanner Ives (Jr) Granbury Cornerstone 2014
144-283 2243 yds. 35 tds 12 int.

It's been a couple of years, but If I remember right there was a kid from Willow Park Trinity Christian that has over 10,000 yds. But I might be wrong. I'll dig around and see if I can find that story.

We have complete stats on 31 very impressive passers from 1985 through 2014. We are ranking them on both the NFL & NCAA Pass Efficiency Ratings. The results are very interesting and they do not rank them the same, but I don't want to share the results until we have a more complete list. The following list includes passers that could potentially be at the top, but we need to know how many interceptions they had.

Year Interceptions Name Team
2007 ? Tyler Ethridge Sr. Richland Springs
2003 ? Daniel Sears Water Valley
2004 ? Tyler Ethridge Fr. Richland Springs
2013 ? Damiyne Durham Sr. Oakwood
2008 ? Adrian Hernandez Fort Davis
2003 ? Ty Means Sanderson
2009 ? Haustin Burkhart Richland Springs
2003 ? Wes Kellner Ira
2011 ? Ricky Mendoza Valley
2006 ? Tyler Ethridge Jr. Richland Springs
2005 ? Aaron Martin Wellman-Union
2009 ? Marcus Hartnett Fort Davis
2010 ? Denim Reeves Richland Springs
2005 ? Tyler Ethridge Richland Springs
2013 ? Christian Rocha Jr. Guthrie
2011 ? Damiyne Durham Oakwood
2012 ? Dalton Michum Sr. Rankin
2005 ? Braxton Oliver Throckmorton
2003 ? Tanner Woods Follett
2001 ? Clay Britten Groom
2005 ? BJ Santiago Grandfalls-Royalty
2013 ? Matthew Lowry Sr. Blackwell
2011 ? Steve Enriquez Fort Davis
1993 ? Bill Climer Happy Hill
? Howdy Bryars ?
Plus any others that had over 1000 yards passing in a season.

Can you please help. Feel free to private message me if you prefer. We will do our best to validate the stats via a third party, but we need your help. Please contact folks you know from these schools who might know.

Thanks

Back