61 straight home wins

Well, I don't knowd, but if I wuz aguessin', I figger they wuz tryin' to spare yur fellers' fragile psyches from gettin' whupped twice in one year and thus ruinin' yur basketball season.

I keep hearing this crap about a TOUGH schedule! Why would you want to play a TOUGH schedule????
Maybe it's that ol' saying, "The tougher the schedule you play, the better you'll be down the road!" I call BULLS**T on that!

Like most of you have said, RS has the weakest schedule every year......................BUT, those weak schedules keep PAYING off!
In BIG ways, if you know what I mean.
Just saying, the proof is in the pudding!

I don't understand why so many people want to dog RS. They have an outstanding program and a great coaching staff. Their schedule is unimportant. Bill is right (I can't believe I just said that) RS has proven themselves year after year.

R U Ready":16ndyn7z said:
They never schedule tough opponents so what do you expect....
Actually,
untill you've tried to put together
a so-called "Tough schedule"
be careful of judgement.

I would guess there are a few guys
who call everyone they know for games.
Those who say yes end up on their schedule.

Remember the guy earlier this year
had to get an 11-man team to go halvsies?

I don't think RS has been winning BECAUSE they had a weak schedule. They have been winning because they have a great team. BUT, for a team that is NOT 3 steps ahead of everyone else, playing good teams tends to make them better. In my opinion, there is an art to scheduling. Some teams that you can whoop up on, for confidence, some teams that give you a game, for experience, and a team that is gonna beat you, for humility and so that you get that feeling of losing, and hopefully, hate it enough that you don't want it to happen again. I do think that there have been a couple of seasons that it wouldn't have mattered WHO RS played, they still would have beat them. But I also think that if they had scheduled some tougher teams that they wouldn't be sitting on a 61 game home winning streak. Each team is different, and RS schedule is working for THEM. Why change it? Also, have you seen the teams within a 100 mile radius of RS? That's who they are playing, its not their fault it produces a weak schedule. I'm not a RS fan, but I do respect them for their great accomplishments. And I am a Burkhart fan.

61 straight home wins is 61 straight home wins!!. that is pretty impressive. This may make some people mad, but its not RS fault they are that much better than the teams in their area. And when you only lose a game or two every other year, it's probably not gonna happen at home. And IMOHO, they don't need those "tough" games during the year. They get plenty of extra game experience in the playoffs! And you see how that normally turns out. 45. So far, it looks like RS puts the beatdown on whomever they choose whenever and where ever. I bet RS gets every teams best game. Everybody wants to beat RS, so they can't have an off game. I'm not a fan of RS or an appologist by any means, I'm just giving credit where credit is due.

Johnny South":ut3ljwai said:
I don't think that Richland Springs needs me to defend them on this board, but sometimes this harassment begins to irritate a normal person. You say that if D1 teams were scheduled, that the opposition would prevail through four quarters of play. LOOK AT THE SCHEDULE! Scrimmages with Valley, Throckmorton, Zephyr, Rochelle. D1 teams May, Gustine, Walnut Springs, Gordon (who, by the way, defeated Strawn). Enough said!

Oh are you referring to #18 ZEPHYR, #26 GORDON, #29 ROCHELLE, #36 MAY, #97 WALNUT SPRINGS, #123 GUSTINE. Enough said is right! SMH

This year Blum played 5 of this years playoff teams and we came out 2 and 3. I believe this made us a better team! Oakwood is the only team that blew us away an that was the first game of the year. Now granted Abbott 45'd us in 3 quarters but if ( I know if a frog had wings he would'nt bump his butt) we had played the first half like the 3rd quarter it would have been a closer game! What I'm saying is a tough schdule will make you a better team in the long run! I am not a R.S. fan nor will I ever be, do I hate R.S. no they have a great program and a great coach. I still think they need to play a tougher schdule. Sorry my old age is kicking in and I'm ramblin'

oneday Fort Hancock was the bomb back in the day. Here is what I found out on Lonestarfootball.com:
Four consecutive state championships from 1988-1991 which included winning 54 consecutive games
From 1986 to 1992 they won five state championships which included a 64-2-1 record.

Johnny South":339m4px5 said:
I don't think that Richland Springs needs me to defend them on this board, but sometimes this harassment begins to irritate a normal person. You say that if D1 teams were scheduled, that the opposition would prevail through four quarters of play. LOOK AT THE SCHEDULE! Scrimmages with Valley, Throckmorton, Zephyr, Rochelle. D1 teams May, Gustine, Walnut Springs, Gordon (who, by the way, defeated Strawn). Enough said!

Careful Mr South...
Gordon defeated Strawn in Regular Season play the same year Strawn sent Richland Springs packin from Early..

My prediction is IF RS makes it past Jonesboro/Milford, you might see that again.. (no promises, just a prediction)

I don't post much really on the message board anymore because everythig has already been said 20 times over since I have been posting (at least back to 2003)...I believe the Ft Hancock win streak (just straight wins not wins at home which I think would be much longer) was 71 straight...I am also willing to bet Marathon in the 60s and 70s won around 50-70 straight home games...

Now as far as this topic going off topic:

Bashing RS...It is easy to hate a winner, but harder to beat them

Which team is/was better...I think that the some of the great teams from the past could beat any RS team you pick...80s Highland had probably the best pass D and sread D ever...they did beat one of the best spread teams ever Mullin and HOF spread coach Robert Lee...45ed them in the State game as a matter of fact. Cherokee and Marathon in the 70s had size and speed and defense was more of a focus than it is now.

The view and opinion of "old timers"...there are 2 things to remember: 1. If they have seen both teams being compared they probably know what they are talking about. 2. They do tend to pine for the past and may exagerate things, but that doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about and to discount everything they say.

For what it is worth...
1. I like RS and their players, coaches, and people I have met and talked with over the years, I have been going to their playoff games since 2001 and was at all the big ones! They are a great program and one of the best ever! State rings, enough said.
2. I love talking and visiting with "old timers" and take what they say at face value most of the time, and I think the younger generations don't do that as much as they should!
3. I would take 73-75 Cherokee, 82-83 Highland, 85 Jayton, 69-76 Marathon teams over 01-12 RS teams. I have watched every single one of these teams either on film or in person (those Ft Hancock teams would be a great match up with RS probably a 50/50 who would win those mythical games).

That's my 2 cents

Oneday, you do have some good points and are not too far off. The 2007 Rule team of Mike Reed would have defeated any of your aforementioned teams though, and more than likely would have 45ed most of them. and that is all I have to say about that.

Marathon is an interesting place because they were once so successful and now barely holding on to have a school much less a football team. According to the schedules in the late 1960's Marathon and surrounding schools played a round robin schedule to get in 8 to 10 games before going to the playoffs and of course they could only go to the regional level in the 60's and early 70's. I hope Marathon is able to get their numbers up so they can field a team in the near future.

Longhorn 75. Nice thought, but do not think it will ever happen. There is nothing to bring or keep younger families to that area. Railroad is not what it once was and that was biggest interest. I will say there are some folks that are putting their money where their mouth is and trying to keep the school afloat. Unless the school can hire someone with a bunch of boys, guess the only recourse is to wander the empty halls and look at the trophies.

HPD

Last regular season loss was to Panther Creek - not sure where.
RS could not have done what they have without Goob.
Any speculation on where the RS Jonesboro game will be next week? Hico?

51eleven":3vkre6ca said:
Last regular season loss was to Panther Creek - not sure where.
RS could not have done what they have without Goob.
Any speculation on where the RS Jonesboro game will be next week? Hico?
If what I heard was correct, RS and Jonesboro had an agreement from last year that they would play at Richland this year......

Back