6 man History

oneday":g3228w72 said:
Taken from the UIL Official ist of Six-Man Schools 1942

District 12: Dodd City, East Delta (Charleston), Gober, Klondike, Pecan Gap, Savoy.

Savoy was district champs. Also a note at the bottom of the page says: "No bi-district games were reported the 1942 season"

The Klondike mentioned is not the Klondike outside Lamesa...however, Klondike (Lamesa) did play and were Disrtict 5 champs in 1942. (District 5: Ackerly, Dawson (Welsch), Klondike (Lamesa), Sparenberg, Union (Lamesa).)

Sparenberg and Union latter were absorbed by Klondike. Lots of empty miles in that district. Also, it's spelled Welch.

As a note...in 1938 there were a lot of schools playing six-man football that were not a part of the UIL's "official" list of participating schools. An example of this is Blackwell as well as all the schools that OBK posts about, Westbrook, Garden City, Forsan and so on...

And there was a lot of talk from some schools about playing six-man and forming a district, and some of those schools backed out so it seems because they are talked about in articles about the distrcit/league formation but no score is ever found for them.

And I guess it is possible that more districts formed and became "official" with the UIL AFTER the "official list participating schools" was printed up (the list I have a copy of from the UIL archive).

Ok there were 9 districts on the list for 1938...and 5 schools "officially participating" but not in a district.

My favorite 2 districts from that 1938 list, and please people if you have info on any of them post it!

District 5: Fairview (Thrift), Five-in-One (Vernon), Geraldine (Holliday), Harrold, King (Quanah), Medicine Mound, Megargel, Oklaunion, Souh Lockett (Vernon), Thalia, Valley View (Iowa Park). Chairman: Artle J. Lynn, Oklaunion

Harrold was district champs...the district was divided into 2 sections and the winner of the 2 sections played for the title, I think King was the winner of the other section.

District 9: Fairview (Lamesa), Hancock, Harmony (O'Donnell), McCarty (Lamesa), Sparenberg, Union (Lamesa), Woody (Lamesa). Chairman: Howard Humphrey, Star Rt. 2, Lamesa.

Looks like Union and Sparenberg tied for district champs

Also I like District 7: Flat, Ireland, Pearl, Turnersville. Chairman: Virgil Jones, Turnersville. Pearl was district champs.

Now time to play "Pin the Mascot on the School" out of those 22 schools I listed from 1938...how many mascots can you name???

And note only one...Harrold...is still around today

I only knew Sparenberg's mascot because of some of the really old farts I know. It was long gone by the time I came around.

Those guys have told me stories about going to Ackerly to play ball. Seems their old football field was awful close to their old gym. They talked like the sideline was about 6" from the wall.

Pearl was the Dragons.
Their high school consolidated with us (Evant) my Sr. yr. (56-57)
There were almost as many Pearl letter jackets on campus as Evant.
We got along great. (A lot of us were kin folks, in fact I was born in Pearl.)

I just spent over an hour typing a post with all the 1954 enrollment numbers for every team that played six-man and still does, plus the top 3 and lowest enrollments for each region...

I went to post it and was logged out so the post was lost!!!!!!

Not retyping it! But I guess the cut off for 6man was 105.

Highest enrollment Avery 104.08. Lowest enrollment Yancey 16.09.

My post was great...I am pissed now

RedBird Man":3qd32qy8 said:
OBK, thanks for bringing this back. This is interesting to read since we are new to sixman. I know that Savoy played in early forties, and I believe that there are some articles at the school. Brawny or myself could get you this info if you want it.

Absolutely! Get it to me. Also, take a look at Savoy on Lone Star and if you have any of the missing scores, I'll take them too.

oneday":1i4k8809 said:
I just spent over an hour typing a post with all the 1954 enrollment numbers for every team that played six-man and still does, plus the top 3 and lowest enrollments for each region...

I went to post it and was logged out so the post was lost!!!!!!

Not retyping it! But I guess the cut off for 6man was 105.

Highest enrollment Avery 104.08. Lowest enrollment Yancey 16.09.

My post was great...I am pissed now

Type it up in Word and then copy and paste.

Extinct school.

CentennialSchoolTX712KDockens.jpg

Centennial. Consolidated with Talpa in 1958, and then Talpa-Centennial with Mozelle to form Panther Creek in 1986.

Old Bearkat":i26puf2r said:
Extinct school.

CentennialSchoolTX712KDockens.jpg

Centennial. Consolidated with Talpa in 1958, and then Talpa-Centennial with Mozelle to form Panther Creek in 1986.

It was an elementary school when T-C was in business. Now it's a hunting lodge.

From the Gatesville archives, Flat was the Yellow Jackets in 1955, one can only speculate they were the Yellow Jackets in 1938.

Yall should band together and make this History thing part of the mission. Take Texas and divide it out to folks that want to help. Hit all the archives that cant be accessed via the internet. Here Ill help ya.....Here are some handy maps:)

From a series of articles I got from Granger

Six Man Allen Eagle Football 1945-1956, a legend in Texas Football History
Gene Curtis becomes Eagle Coach.

By Tom Keener

In 1950, W.H. (Pete) Moseley was elected Collin County School Superintendent, causing requiring him to resign his position as Allen Independent School District Superintendent. Mr. Moseley continues to be held in high esteem because of the sacrifices and services he made for Allen.

The school board quickly recruited Gene Curtis, a 23- year- old Allen native, to become sSchool sSuperintendent, teacher, and sSix mMan fFootball cCoach. Gene graduated from the North Texas State Teachers College, majoring in physical and secondary education. He later earned a mMasters dDegree in aAdministration from North Texas State University, now the University of North Texas.

TGene was the son of William (Jack) and Geneva Ingram Curtis (Pearl), having Gene had four siblings, Lee Delle, Walter, Malcolm (Mac), and Melba Joyce and. Gene grew up on a farm in northwest Allen, near the current Stacy Rd. Jack was a farmer and Pearl served as a cook for the Allen Independent School District. Allen native Ken Byler remembers “the mouth- watering rolls and delicious beans that Pearl provided in school lunches every day.” For some farm children, this was their main meal.

Gene recalls spending his childhood summers swimming in the railroad tank’s muddy waters where games and pranks continued tallhroughout the season summer. At the time, the 1874 stone dam lay underneath the waters created by the downstream 1912 concrete dam. One popular game was “alligator,”, where the swimmer swam underwater until another swimmer was tagged. Another past time was baseball.

In January 1945, Gene entered the US Navy. S, serving as a Corpsman, he was stationed in Norman Oklahoma. After his military service, he finished his degree and began teaching in Bryan— College Station, but was quickly recruited by his home town.

Former Allen resident Billy Dugger remembers hunting foxes and raccoons with Gene as a kid, but when Gene became coach, he was now the “Coach.”. The team members and students respected his new position. Gene was now “Mr. Curtis,” a boundary respected by all.

Perry OrldsOne former team player, (WHO!), recalls when his teammates were smoking in the men’s room. One student was to warn the others if a teacher was approaching. “Mr. Curtis is coming!” exclaimed a student. “We put out our cigarettes before Mr. Curtis came in, we all nodded, and were greatly relieved that we were not caught. We kids thought we put one on Mr. Curtis because he did not say a word.” At the end of the football practice, “Mr. Curtis forced us to run extra laps because Coach said , “wwe needed to rid our lungs of dirty cigarette smoke. We never tried to outsmart Coach Curtis again!”

When asked about his memories of Coach Curtis, Billy Dugger responded, “Tough.”. Perry Orlds concurs. If we did not do well in practice, it was not because we were not physically prepared.” Billy Dugger recalls a practice when “a salesman appeared and the Coach needed to discuss business. We thought we might get a break, but Coach had us run laps until he returned. We ran 50 dreadful laps before Coach returned. Some break!”

Billy Howlett recalls Coach Curtis’ willingness to explore new techniques. “During one practice, Coach Curtis introduced James Marion, a former SMU Mustang football player and Frisco football coach, to teach a new shoulder blocking technique. Until that time, a body block was used exclusively.” Chester Story adds, “Coach Curtis was innovative, enthusiastic, and honest, the same way everyday. “

The McKinney Courier Gazette described Coach Curtis as a “fine young man and an able football Coach, his teams are football smart and as modern as a 1952 automobile.” Under Coach Curtis’ leadership, the Eagles won district three timeswice, in 1950, 51 and 1952. They subsequently lost the Bi-District title in those years to to Mildred (score unknown), Elysian Fields 39-20, and Lockett 65-22, respectively. A memorable game was the 1952 battle between the undefeated Allen Eagles and the undefeated Blue Ridge Tigers. Coach Curtis said, the “pendulum swung back and forth all during the game.” The Gazette claimed, “All the color and glamour of a championship battle will be there, and there will be a real crowd on hand to see this tremendous battle of the “little town” top notchers.”

Before a tremendous throng of 1,500 fans in Allen, the Tigers quickly scored two touchdowns. The Eagles rallied with a touchdown covering 55 yards. The Eagles’ Harold Crouch—, back, Billy Howlett—, end, and Henry Hedgecoxe—, quarterback, engineered a sensational 55 yard drive. The Eagles next touchdown started when Kenneth Holt intercepted a Tiger fumble, which was followed by a “basketball-type pass” from Chester Story to Tommy Bickle, center. Then Story cut over center and rushed 36 yards to the Tigers 8- yard line. Story then received a pass from Hedgecoxe and scored. Blue Ridge scored again with a 52 yard drive. Taking the next kick-off on the Eagles two- yard line, the Eagles battled to the goal line. The half time score was close, Blue Ridge 22, Allen 20.

At the beginning of the second half, Allen finally got ahead when Howlett intercepted a Tiger pass. Hedgecoxe then passed to Howlett for the score. Blue Ridge scored again when the Tigers faked a pass and circled left end for a “breath taking” 47- yard advance. Allen forged ahead for the last time with a 58- yard advance on the next kick- off. A piercing pass from Hedgcoxe to Howlett gained 20 yards with Crouch diving over the goal line. Story made an important difference with a perfect placement kick with Howlett holding. This proved to be decisive. Allen led 34-28. Blue Ridge wasted no time to score again. The game ended with a 34-34 score. Under 6 six man football rules, if there is a tie score, penetrations are then considered. Both sides had five penetrations. Then first downs are considered. Allen had 13 touchdowns compared to the Tigers’ 12. The Eagles soared once again to district champions. The Gazette exclaimed, “It was about the best football game ever played in the county.” They later lost the Bi-District to Lockett.

Coach Curtis resigned after the 1952-53 school year to become a principal at Weatherford, subsequently serving as sSuperintendent there. The Eagles continued to soar in 1954 under Coach Lee Roundtree with Max Vaughan as Asst. Coach, Allen defeating Odell 65- 51 for bi-district championship. Under Max Vaughan as head coach, Allen won Bi-District in 1956. Because of Allen’s growth theAS Allen grew, Allen’s six man football became an eight man team era came to an end in 1958 when it became an 8 man team. These six man Eagle teams hold a special place in Texas football history and in the hearts of its citizens.

Back