6 man/11 man games

LongWayHome

11-man fan
How often are half 6 man / half 11 man games played like Throckmorton will be doing against Windthorst next Friday? Having grown up in the area, I know there are times when accomodations are made, but this seems strange. If one team was ahead by 45 at the half after the six man bout, would the game be called? How is it determined which set of rules will be played first? Sure would like to see this game but doubt I can in North Carolina.

It is my understanding that 11 man rules will be players first, just so that can't happen.

I'm sure this isn't the first, but I could be wrong. I have seen a 1/2 6-man, 1/2 8-man and the 45 point rule was removed. The score ends up being 108-8.

Back in the late 50's when 8 man was just started, there were a lot of hybrid 6/8 man games. Some did like Throck/Windthorst and did one half 6 and the other half 8, some had the 6 man team playing a 6 man offense and the 8 man team defending with 6 and the 8 man team playing an 8 man offense and the 6 man team defending with 8, while others alternated the play by quarters. It was mostly by schools between Wichita Falls aand Ft. Worth.

Goree, Weinert, Benjamin, and Vera were some I remember reading about.

Back