Zephyr Vs. Jonesboro

Zephyr returns punt to their 24, pass complete, zephyr at their 20, short pass but loses yards, attempted run is stopped, 4th down zephyr punts, Jonesboro on their 25

Jonesboro pass is batted away, 2nd down called for offsides, pass complete for huge gain, now 1st from 15, fumbled snap but recovered, run up the middle puts them 1st and goal, pass is intercepted and zephyr runs it back for the touchdown, PAT is no good, game tied 54-54, 5:33 in 4th

Jonesboro starts on their 20, 5 yard run, 2nd down, run gets 5 yards, 3rd down, runner gets 1 yard, next play run gets them to zephyr 26, 1st down pass is incomplete, 2nd down, run gets the touchdown, PAT is good Jonesboro 62-54 3:24 in 4th

Zephyr starts on their 26, 1st down, run up the middle gets 4, 2nd down, pass is broken up, 3rd down, long pass is broken up again, 4th down, zephyr timeout.
Zephyr with insane pass play 1st down at Jonesboro 20,
Zephyr runs it in for the touchdown, PAT is good, game tied 62-62, 2:12 in the 4th

Jonesboro starts on on 35, 1st down, bad pitch recovered for a loss, 2nd down, run is stopped, 3rd down
Run gets the touchdown, PAT is good Jonesboro 70-62,
1:03 in 4th

Zephyr starts on their 30, 1st down, run gets first down, zephyr pass is almost intercepted, pass gets short of 1st down, timeout zephyr, 32 seconds left.
3rd down, pass incomplete, 4th down, pass is complete for touchdown, Jonesboro iced kicker, timeout, 17 seconds left.
PAT is good, game tied 70-70, 16 seconds left in the game

Jonesboro gets the punt but almost fumbled,
Runner tackled for a loss, 2nd down, 3 seconds left,
Jonesboro gets back to line of scrimmage but time expires, it’s now overtime

Zephyr with first possession, 1st down, run gets 5, 2nd down, run gets short gain, 3rd down, pass incomplete, 4th down, pass is complete for first down, 1st down, fumble but recover, 2nd down, gets to 9, 3rd down, pass gets to Jonesboro 5, timeout, 4th down.
Pass is complete for the touchdown, PAT is good, Zephyr 78-70

Jonesboro on their 25, 1st down, pass to the end zone is incomplete, 2nd down, run for 5, 3rd down, pass complete short of goal line, run for touchdown, PAT is good, game tied 78-78, 2nd overtime

Jonesboro ball, run gets good gain, injury timeout.
2nd down, run gets to the one, 1st and goal, run is good for the touchdown, PAT blocked, but penalty, re-kick, PAT is good, Jonesboro 86-78

I'll be the first to say how wrong I was about this game and eat a little crow. I expected Zephyr to be going home with a win after 2 quarters, but Jonesboro had a very different idea. This was a great game to watch and reminded me of Ali & Frazier's fight in Manila with 2 good teams who continuously exchanged blows and refused to quit. What a memorable way for Coach Gallegos to earn his 100th win as coach of the Eagles. I'm glad I was there to see it first hand.

RogueEconomist":2hnt15gd said:
New coach in Zephyr, they lost a long term really quality coach. Coaching makes all the difference.

Seems to me that you are taking a stab at the new coach. Didn’t Jonesboro shut Zephyr out last year with the long term quality coach?

RogueEconomist":2bolrqqc said:
New coach in Zephyr, they lost a long term really quality coach. Coaching makes all the difference.
Just a little useful info for you. Both are quality coaches, but neither have beaten Jonesboro while coaching at Zephyr.

Sounds like both teams have a good coach this year. Loosing by 1 TD in sixman is frustrating but not cause for shame. Nobody got 45'd or shut out. This was a shootout. I love shootout's. They're exciting. To me it means the teams are close to evenly matched and nobody quit. Both teams left it all on the field. 162 point's and two play's (w/xp) away from overtime. Surprised no one's whining "no defense".
Hat's off to Jonesboro And Zephyr. I'd of loved to have seen the game.

I was there 51eleven and your summary is spot on. Both teams played defense too. There were some stops and a few punts, but obviously with so many points, there were many more long plays for TD's. These are always fun for me to watch, but what I'm going to remember for a long time about this game is how the runners kept moving after initial contact, grinding out yardage while more defenders arrived to stop them. Both teams wanted that win badly. Even though I know it's a cliche, it's a shame that one of them would get a loss because there were no losers on the field that night.

Back