Worst record to win a Title

I have wondered this (I did search also) and with my Cats dropping 3 games this year it has spurred my interest again. I know I have heard Coaches saying a loss has sometimes won them a title so I am curious as to how many it took for some? I know that long bus ride back from Canada (Follett) after a loss made the 2013 Wildcats grab another gear........

Thanks all!!

I don't know for sure without researching it, but I cant think of any team winning state in six-man D-1 with more than one loss. Most have had zero. Maybe there has been one with more in D-2.

Strawn had one loss in 2003 and 2008 to Gordon I believe. Garden City lost to Throckmorton in 2009. As you mentioned Crowell got beat in Follett in 2013. And Motley County had one to Rule in 2007, maybe. You might check Lohn's record in 198?.

The only one Im not 100% sure of is 1986 Fort Hancock...they might have had 2 losses and a tie...

other wise the answer is 1994 Amherst - 13-1-1 with the tie being the regional game vs Meadow 12-12 and Amherst advanced

Of all the state champions I am only missing a handful of scores from a few seasons:

1974 - distrct game Marathon v Persidio
1979 - Week 2 game Milford vs Unknown team (likely Walnut Springs)
1981 - district game Whitharral v Cotton Center
1986 - Fort Hancock - missing 5 or 6 scores mostly non-district
1988 - Fort Hancock - missing several games

Leman Saunders":3smx3per said:
The only one Im not 100% sure of is 1986 Fort Hancock...they might have had 2 losses and a tie...

other wise the answer is 1994 Amherst - 13-1-1 with the tie being the regional game vs Meadow 12-12 and Amherst advanced

How do you determine who advances when it is a tie?

Nowadays, overtime rules wont let there be a tie. However back then, there could be. The game would come out a tie, but if it was a game where somebody had to advance to a further round in the playoffs, the team with the most penetrations would advance. If penetrations were tied they would go to most first downs I believe. If still tied from then on, you got me.....

I have only seen one six-man game require a tie-breaker...the 2004 six-man all-star game in Lubbock. Seems like we went into a third overtime. Just does not happen much because of the PAT difficulty.

Leman Saunders":2h5fvdvv said:
Pretty Sure Ft Hancocks record in 1986 was 12-2-1
According to this site:
Texas High School Football Dynasties
Fort Hancock had a record of 92-4-1 from 1986 to 1992. This included a 70 game win streak from 1988 to 1992 which ended in a loss to Panther Creek in the 1992 title game. So from 1988 to 1992 their record was 70-1. That leaves a record of 22-3-1 in 1986 -1987. In 1987 they went 10-1 because they lost to Jayton in bi-district. So as Leman Sanders is correct, that leaves a 12-2-1 record in 1986 doing the math. The one tie was Maple Three Way in the playoffs.

Back