World Series--Astros

markf

Six-man fan
not really a fan of the astros,but with what that city went thru, i cant help but pull for them,never did i hear the lone granger say that about the rangers when we were on top..lol...Good Luck Astros

I hope the Dodgers destroy Houston. Bandwagon Astros fans are annoying as heck, I couldn't imagine what would happen if they won the World Series. It's frustrating because there are almost no true baseball fans in Texas. Most of them just switch between the Rangers and Astros depending on who's good at the moment.

Bsaeball in Houston in late October? Bet the two former POTUS from Dallas and Houston are enthralled.
How are the Oilers doing this year?

There are plenty of real baseball fans in Texas. I'm a ranger fan all the way. I like the astros ok but definitely not my top team but I will support them in the world series everytime simply because they are a Texas team.

smalltown":37zkby06 said:
There are plenty of real baseball fans in Texas. I'm a ranger fan all the way. I like the astros ok but definitely not my top team but I will support them in the world series everytime simply because they are a Texas team.
I guess we can agree to disagree. Imo a true fan would never, ever root for a divisional rival. It'd be heresy if a Giants fan rooted for the Dodgers, or if the Cardinals cheered for the Cubs. Or, "gasp", if the Red Sox cheered for the Yankees. I have been a die hard Rangers fan since the Kevin Millwood, Hank Blalock, Mark Teixeira and Akinori Otsuka days, and I will never root for the Astros. It was different when they were a NL team though.

You can be a true and loyal fan of your peronal team. But if they are not in the fight, you can ALWAYS be a loyal state of TEXAS fan...

i too remember listening to David Cylde debut,Ranger radio announcer Bill Mercer on the call,Ranger brass screwed him up by pitching him straight out of high school,trying,well not trying just to fill sits in the old ballpark..Looks like the dust will now be settled in LA..

This World Series is one of the best I've ever witnessed. I've been waiting my entire life to see the Astros play like this in the World Series. I as many Astros fans were disappointed with the sweep by the Chicago White Sox in 2005. But, we're making up for it. Just need to finish it off! #HoustonStrong #EarnHistory

David Clayde's dad got him a no minor league clause in his original contract. We played against Clyde in the bi-district series 1973 (Temple vs Houston Westchester)

Then we went to watch him pitch his first game for the Rangers. He was good!!!

starman17":1q8fffj1 said:
David Clayde's dad got him a no minor league clause in his original contract. We played against Clyde in the bi-district series 1973 (Temple vs Houston Westchester)

Then we went to watch him pitch his first game for the Rangers. He was good!!!

On our senior trip in 1974, we went to a Rangers game with the Angels. Got to see Nolan Ryan vs. David Clyde. You could hear the catcher's glove pop out in the center field bleachers for both pitchers.

I'm a true baseball fan and was born and raised in South Texas.

I am also an Astros fan and have been my whole life. Back in the 70's in South Texas everyone was an Astros fan. The Rangers weren't any good and the Astros had some characters, my favorite being JR Richard ... and the Astrodome was always 72 degrees. We've had our share of heartbreak. The formative years of 1980 and 1986 stand out the most. In 2005, when I was able to attend game 4, I was just happy to have lived long enough to see my team play in the WS.

When the Rangers made it to the WS, I did not root for them. I secretly hoped they would lose because I am an Astros fan and I went to college with too many Mavs/Rangers fans who were obnoxious... now, I would've been happy for my friend markf had they won, because he is a true Rangers fan and we used to text often about these things. The only time I enjoyed watching the Rangers win a game would be when Nolan was pitching.

Last night was insane. I couldn't go to sleep afterwards. I had to get up at 5:30 to start getting the kids to school this am. Once they got where they needed to be, I went back home and fell asleep. I am as they say, 'working from home' this morning....

I also want to state clearly, that my secretly wanting the Rangers to lose had everything to do with jealousy. I am big boy enough to admit that.

I once was an Astro fan. From the opening of the Astrodome to 74, at that time the local radio station stopped carrying the Astros and started carrying the Rangers. Didn't take me long to change my status, the Rangers were pretty good and the Astros were finishing last. The blockbuster trade that the Astros made with the Reds that basically set up the Reds on their World Series run in the early 70's didn't help my feelings for the Astro front office. They traded Joe Morgan, Jack Billingham, Cesar Geronimo, and threw in Bob Aspromonte for Bobby Helms (2b), Jimmy Stewart??(utility infielder), ______Mays(1b), and Dennis Menke(3b). The main player that the Astros was after was the 1 baseman. They had finally got someone who could hit home runs in the Astrodome, he didn't of course. They kept him around for about 2 years while he hit about 200 and hit about 10 homers a year. Fun times to be an Astro fan let me tell you!!

I've always been a Rangers fan, but I rooted for the Astros in 2005 (mainly bc I wanted to write a book titled The Curse of Shoeless Joe and the Sox winning basically killed that idea) and I'm rooting for them again in this one.

If I was around and had a spare $800 I would have tried to catch a game even...in 2010 I saw the final game of the WS and the ticket wasnt over $500.

Beating Kershaw was huge for the Astros

for the record Im not a fan of this new type of baseball where the 3 true outcomes happen more than ever...

I was jealous of Houston as a pre and young teen. While I liked football a lot better I was told baseball was the National pastime. It was on TV a lot more and reported about there and in newspapers for a longer part of the year. Sandy Koufax, Lou Brock. Houston had the Astros, Professional Baseball, the AstroDome the worlds first enclosed stadium (I knew nothing about humidity or air conditioning at the time).
FW/D, prior to becoming the metromess, had no National pastime. Just the Deluxe Plowboys, Dandy Don, Bullet Bob, Chuck Howley, and Superman, Bob Lilly. They were in the NFL, not the afl.
Fall was always a welcome time. Maybe not just because of cooler weather or football but because I made thirty nine and holding for the twenty second time today. Go Hounds.

Before we had the Rangers there was the Colt 45's and the Astros,i listened to a many a Gene Elston calls and dang i cant remember his sidekick [now your chunking}? Was all we had ,other than picking up Jack Buck fading in and out at night on radio..........Last night was crazy,i'm sitting in Animal Kingdom Lodge in Orlando with a big early day scheduled for the morning,Like Granger stayed up most the night from excitement,wild game.......My sports heart cannot ever get broken any harder than ONE STRIKE AWAY not once but Twice!!!!!!! I feel for the city for what has and still is going thru,,,With that said,hopefully a World Series throphy will be coming to Houston..p.s. Granger you can still text me anytime you like..Peace

Back