Washington Senators win World Series

51eleven

Six-man expert
I never thought I'd see this. David Clyde probably had a heart attack if he was still alive. Houston had the Astros and built the 8th wonder of the world, an enclosed airconditioned stadium, the Astrodome. Astoturf was born. Dallas/Fort Worth had to have a professional team too. They bought the Senators, they sucked, for 25 years. How bad did they suck? As a 17 year old teen in 1973 mother worked at Commercial metals in Dallas. They had seats over 3rd base, nobody from Dallas wanted to drive to Arlington to see them. I took friends.
Then in 1991, free tickets at Wynn Dixie for buying groceries. Nolan Ryan's 7th no hitter. 96 they won the NLDS. Playoff's in the late 90's. World Series in what was it 2011/12? No Cigar. No playoff's the last (?) 9 years. 53 years.
Baseball was my Dad's favorite sport. He listened to them often on WBAP over the years.

Congratulations Rangers. Well deserved this year. I have often wondered, Markf, if you kept your season tickets after the new stadium was built?

My grandfather was a big baseball fan as a lot of Texans were and grew up listening to the St. Louis Cardinal baseball team broadcasts because there were NO big-league teams in Texas until 1962(Houston). So, when the pathetically bad Washington Senators were moved to Texas in 1972, he had a team he could go see in person.

Back