Why the rankings stink -- 2016

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
I've been at this a few years and the comments and questions of why a certain team is ranked where never stop. (nor will they ever) The quick and easy answer is that NOTHING is perfect, nor will it ever be.

There are a million ways to create a ranking system. Heck, I have even changed mine quite a bit over the years. For me, the biggest problem is the sheer number of teams. When I first started, fewer than 100 school played six-man football. Now the number of teams in the system are over 250.

Below is how the system worked this year. It always gets better as the year progresses. That's what it is supposed to do. It goes from an 'educated' guess to having some real data behind it.

wk record % 45's
1 76-43 63.87% 55
2 84-33 71.79% 72
3 93-24 79.49% 65
4 77-32 70.64% 52
5 85-28 75.22% 62
6 96-18 84.21% 63
7 79-21 79.00% 54
8 64-15 81.01% 43
9 91-19 82.73% 69
10 90-16 84.91% 56
11 84-11 88.42% 60
overall 919-260 77.95% 651

This is not a points-based system. It is not about your one favorite team. This is not about ranking the top-10.

This system is trying to place all 254 teams in an appropriate place relative to who they played. It is an optimization problem.

An interesting fact occurred this week -- the system actually contracted. If you look at the top teams, they actually decreased. Many would argue this is a mistake, but in reality, the 'error' in the rankings is at its least due to this. As a side note, I suspect it will grow again during the playoffs, as the top teams are the ones competing.

don't get me started with oil prices, FCSA... We talked about a lot last week, but I didn't tell you that I did my undergrad thesis on OPEC and oil prices

granger":xg3zzdtc said:
don't get me started with oil prices, FCSA... We talked about a lot last week, but I didn't tell you that I did my undergrad thesis on OPEC and oil prices

That, is a deep subject.

Did I not read something on here once about the "Toy", i e quantification of statistical analysis, being part of a masters thesis?

The rankings don't stink. They are an integral part of the site. They are the only unbiased source of evaluation of teams in the sport I'm aware of. They give the site much more credibility than the comments of a bunch of old farts or kids.

Well Granger we might be able to have a great conversation about oil prices and the relationships pertaining to the international industry. In the 90's I was deeply involved in putting on International Energy Conferences in Houston.
I was the V.P. of Marketing for the Interamerican Chamber of Commerce and Chairman of the Board of
the Indonesian American Business Association during that time . President Bush the First's Energy Department commissioned us to put together a conference and study on the Strategic Importance of Venezuelan Oil Supplies. I worked with people such as Secretary General of OPEC Dr. Subroto, Roy Huffington, Kent Hance, Andres Sosa Petri, Dr. Ray Perryman, Feridun Feshariki, and the heads of Exxon, Conoco, Enron, Pertimina, PDVSA, Petrobras, Petro Vietnam, other Energy Ministers, and many others I am sure you know or know about. The Asia Pacific and Latin America areas held my specific attention and investment but my overall interest was surely Global.
I have done, and continue to do my own analysis, but I am sure it is with an entirely different focus from your thesis. However, people that know me, know that while I survived the 80's, and have known my predictions since then, will tell you that I have pretty accurately predicted the time lines associated with the years up to and including 08/09 and now. Lets get together after football season and have some fun with predictions. Pray for 60 but be happy with 55 in 2017.

FCSA football":1s7czhqc said:
Well Granger we might be able to have a great conversation about oil prices and the relationships pertaining to the international industry. In the 90's I was deeply involved in putting on International Energy Conferences in Houston.
I was the V.P. of Marketing for the Interamerican Chamber of Commerce and Chairman of the Board of
the Indonesian American Business Association during that time . President Bush the First's Energy Department commissioned us to put together a conference and study on the Strategic Importance of Venezuelan Oil Supplies. I worked with people such as Secretary General of OPEC Dr. Subroto, Roy Huffington, Kent Hance, Andres Sosa Petri, Dr. Ray Perryman, Feridun Feshariki, and the heads of Exxon, Conoco, Enron, Pertimina, PDVSA, Petrobras, Petro Vietnam, other Energy Ministers, and many others I am sure you know or know about. The Asia Pacific and Latin America areas held my specific attention and investment but my overall interest was surely Global.
I have done, and continue to do my own analysis, but I am sure it is with an entirely different focus from your thesis. However, people that know me, know that while I survived the 80's, and have known my predictions since then, will tell you that I have pretty accurately predicted the time lines associated with the years up to and including 08/09 and now. Lets get together after football season and have some fun with predictions. Pray for 60 but be happy with 55 in 2017.

I fillup at a chevron occasionally.........

I like this thread much better. You guys don't take yourselves so seriously that you can't have fun!
Just put me in the Rodney Dangerfield section.

So what you're saying is that I REALLY DO have a chance to be a
Smart-Alec ? Really, I mean come on, don't make fun of me
I Really, Really do? :) WOW ! I'll keep trying!

Back