Which is better?

If the accurate, less mobile qb has really good receivers - I'm going to go with them over a great spread back with a couple of caveats.

1. The qb and the receivers have to be able to see the field and read defenses.

2. The receivers and qb have to be on the same page with respect to route adjustments.

But I've never seen such a combination in 6-man.

Why do you think that is? Is it just because of not having that combination of kids on the same team that can do that or is it the mentality of 6-man and the coaches not developing the kids in that direction?

no matter what offense you come up, there simply is not enough blockers to provide a good umbrella of protection for a slow qb. Think about it, if you had 3 on the line, that would be the same as trying to have a pocket passer play without any tackles in 11 man (wouldnt stay healthy too long). The receivers have to have time to get open and six man does not provide that luxury from a straight drop back. The quarterback has to be able to scramble to give the receivers time to get into their routes.

Chap_24":39wksw9h said:
Why do you think that is? Is it just because of not having that combination of kids on the same team that can do that or is it the mentality of 6-man and the coaches not developing the kids in that direction?

I don't know that it's the mentality of the coaches in 6-man so much as it is the responsibilities the coaches have in 6-man that prevent them from working on the relationship of the passer and the receiver.

Pus, if I'm a parent and my kid exhibits the skills, knowledge, and frame of an excellent passing qb - I'm sending him to a school that will allow him to use those talents so that he might be able to get a scholarship.

I'm not saying that is happening everywhere, but a prime example would be Zach Thomas. He was living in White Deer, but his family moved him to Pampa to play football. Another example would be the Brittons (not sure of the spelling) from Groom. I believe a couple of the younger kids were moved to the Canyon ISD to play ball.

bulldawgs":pevmebfo said:
no matter what offense you come up, there simply is not enough blockers to provide a good umbrella of protection for a slow qb. Think about it, if you had 3 on the line, that would be the same as trying to have a pocket passer play without any tackles in 11 man (wouldnt stay healthy too long). The receivers have to have time to get open and six man does not provide that luxury from a straight drop back. The quarterback has to be able to scramble to give the receivers time to get into their routes.

You are assuming that the qb would be receiving the snap from under center. I don't think I would run a pass offense out a tight formation with a less mobile qb unless I had a very strong running game to compliment him.

Blitzing three guys on a qb who can see the field, and a couple of receivers who can do the same, would be a grave error on your part. You're leaving 3 guys to cover 2 receivers. If my guys can catch, and my qb can throw - I'll score on every play.

Oh no I would be in the spread but still snap it straight to the QB so he has more time and space. And I agree about scoring every play. Hence why my opinion is the way it is about the situation. I like the way you think.

i do believe the follett (early 2000's) had a heck of a pocket passer. i think his name was jared robertson not sure though, but was not very mobile, but had a cannon for a arm and was very accurate.

i had rather defence a good spread back. than that to a fast reading qb that has good recievers. im sure we all know why and that is if you can stay in the game with the spread back and you get to hit him and he has to run the whole game my main threat is just that one guy. however if the qb is fast to read and get rid of the ball on target thus making the catch much easier i would have to defence the whole field all of the time and the qb not taking the hits.. just my 2 cents.. in sixman the hits some time can be the slobber knocking type and can change the complection of a game in an instant, especially if you have that bruising 220 lb back. most of the defences i have seen if you get through the line fairly clean the young men coming to tackle are at best an avg of 170lb.

I'll take the spreadback. The more options you have offensively, the better chance of a win. Even the very best throwing quarterback is still limited in his options. He can throw it or he can throw it. A spreadback can run it or (even with the weakest of passing skills) at least throw a little dump pass. This keeps the defense on their heals. With a good passing QB, stop the pass and he's beat. With a spreadback, stop the run and he still has a chance to score on you.
Now if you have both, then you've got the components for a run at state.
IMHO.

I too will take a SB with all options open. Sixman officials have/had a one step rule in ruffing a QB. I promise you that your non-mobile SB will be planted every single play of the game. How long will he hold up to that? With the need to only rush one, you will have five defensive people lurking in the passing lanes just waiting to KO a receiver as the ball gets there. The next step will be receivers quitting on routes rather that take the hit, instant interceptions. As the old saying goes "been there done that", give me the option to run every time, it will at least keep the defensive people honest.

no need to blitz three. I would only blitz one since he cant get away and take my chances that I can cover long enough to get a sack, which would not take long. If your lucky you will get a chance to punt before we get the safety.

If you only rush one guy at me and I am a good QB then I will pick your defense apart. Thats too much time for a good QB and there is too much wide open space for receivers to find holes. I salivate as a QB and a coach if that is all the pressure that is coming. And in the spread a dump to the TB is just as good as a run play to me to keep anybody honest.

SB for the flexability. But a good coach will guage the ability of his players and set his offense accordingly. Might explain why coach always had me lining up in the fetal position

Your assuming that nobody is going to block at all? If you bring one then I only have to use one to block which gives me more receivers and a better chance of getting someone open.

No matter what you do, I will only have one guy going after the qb. Everyone else is assigned a player. I dont have to worry about containment since he is a statue. It will only take 2 seconds to sack him, since someone will be free to rush and I should hope that my defenders can cover their assignments for that long.

techster2000":2yunph3w said:
SimplyPut":2yunph3w said:
Chap_24":2yunph3w said:
I would have to disagree with all of you. I believe that a good QB with two receivers and the right coach is unstoppable. Maybe the right coach is the other part that is missing in the scenario. Thanks for the opinions.

Your lack of exposure to great past 6-man teams shines evident. Post like this are funny. It appears you were looking for support only to not find it. I will take my toys and go home now.

He asked for opinions then he gave his...you gave no opinion on the subject but griped about his. So what toys did you bring? Unless by toys you mean stupidity. Give an opinion or shut up.

Yes sir! Spreadback with very good mobility.

bulldawgs":1ksste17 said:
no need to blitz three. I would only blitz one since he cant get away and take my chances that I can cover long enough to get a sack, which would not take long. If your lucky you will get a chance to punt before we get the safety.

If I've got three blockers, and you send one - my qb will destroy you. If I'm in a spread, and you send one, I still have an up back to block your guy.

I wouldn't take a direct snap, I'd always give my qb the option to run. But with 2 talented receivers, there's no way you are going to be able to defend the entire field against timing routes. It's just not going to happen.

You guys are taking one good spread back over an excellent qb and two talented receivers? how in the world does that possibly give you more options? I would take all the talent I could get.

I'll take the SB everytime. High winds or a good rain can wreak havoc on an offense that relies too much on their drop back QB. While having a good QB can change the dynamic of the game, not many teams will be successful in this game without a versatile SB. Guess we are just fortunate enough to have both, and a SB who can do either.

bulldawgs":1opvfb7j said:
No matter what you do, I will only have one guy going after the qb. Everyone else is assigned a player. I dont have to worry about containment since he is a statue. It will only take 2 seconds to sack him, since someone will be free to rush and I should hope that my defenders can cover their assignments for that long.
That's basically the bottom line.
You're supposed non mobile QB
has 2-4 seconds to supposedly
"PICK"
a defence apart??????????????????????
I hope I play you.
Several times, actually.

Back