What's the problem?

JH PACER COACH

11-man fan
Can someone shed some light on what seems to be the problem between TAPPS and TCAL? I've heard that TAPPS is requiring or suggesting (not sure) their schools not to compete against any TCAL schools, is that true, and if so, why?

I believe I posted this elsewhere. Although I'm pretty much out of the private school sports scene, the issues with this keep popping up in the San Antonio newspaper.

It looks like TCAL has set up an "elite" boys basketball division for schools and has different rules for competition and perhaps eligibility, such as national tournaments and such. TCAL has been pretty aggressive in this area and i believe they are looking at setting up organizations in other states as such.

San Antonio St Anthony, when faced with TAPPS sanctions, moved to TCAL last year. There were rumors that some larger schools were investigating making the change.

Since most schools, especially larger schools, have mutliple sports, it would be difficult to make the move if you lose many of those opponents (for sports like volleyball, football, girls basketball, soccer, track and field, baseball, softball, etc.).

Other states do have restrictions on who you can schedule. Florida requires you to cancel games against teams that leave the state association but does maintain a list of approved non-members for you to schedule against. When I lived in Wisconsin, the state associations (at that time public and private were separate, they are now combined) required state association approval of any out-of-state games (home or away), TAPPS also has that rule.

The source of the rule is not six-man football, but it is affected.

The papers here report that the young man whose arrival at St. Anthony (to be a junior in 2017-2018) is seriously considering transferring to a school in Kentucky. And St. Anthony is unable to rejoin TAPPS until about 2022 or 2024.

If anyone has better information, please correct me.

I could be totally wrong but I believe this is being driven by TAPPS relationship with NFHS. TAPPS schools will only be able to play against schools from organizations that in good standing with NFHS.

GW280":3g3yuxqc said:
I could be totally wrong but I believe this is being driven by TAPPS relationship with NFHS. TAPPS schools will only be able to play against schools from organizations that in good standing with NFHS.

Are UIL schools (which is the Texas organization with NFHS; TAPPS was allowed to join because of the UIL allowing them to do so as an affiliate status) under that rule as well?

Back