What is the toughest team you have played all year?

Knight Fan wrote:
Of the two, Throckmorton was definitely the toughest team Covenant played.

Not sure a score fest in which the losing team puts up 80-ish points should be considered tough a tougher game than when the winning team is held to 30-ish, with their offense being outscored by their defense and special teams.

Just sayin'.

Just to set the record straight:
Offense - 18 points
Kick return - 6 Points
Defense pick six - 6 Points
PAT - 4 Points

Totals: Offense - 18, Defense + Special Teams - 16

I think the constant rain had more to do with the score than anything else. Only 16 points scored total in the second half with Valley scoring last at 4:19 left in third quarter. Of the eleven possessions after that, 4 ended in fumbles, 4 were 4-and-out, Valley made 1 first down then 4-and-out, Covenant punted once and ran out the clock on the last possession.

Don't get me wrong, Valley was a tough team, more so in the second half. But Throckmorton was tough too and obviously harder to beat, the difference being the 39 yard field goal we kicked: a four point margin vs. a twelve point margin.

Good luck to both teams in the remaining two weeks!

Did Valley and DC agree to a two year home-and-home deal? It will be interesting to see how things play out next year if DC comes to the middle of nowhere.

I'm no stranger to bad weather, but I've seen a lot of 6-man games and I don't think I've seen one that was tougher for either team than the one I saw just north of 635 that rainy, cruddy Saturday afternoon.

I don't know but I hope so! That will be a great game if it happens. Covenant loses two seniors so returns most of their starters. What about Valley?

Rainjacktx:

In my opinion, you live in God's country. Wish I was there instead of here. Northeastern New Mexico is the only place that may be better and you are so much closer than I am.

OK, I see in several places that the final score was 38 to 24. The film I watched must have missed a play and the scoreboard must have been wrong. Rainjacktx, you are apparently correct. Sorry I doubted you. But I will say that 30ish should be 40ish. ;-)

Spur finished 6-4 overall 2-2 in district .... 3rd place

Scrimmage Meadow ... District RU .... I was there, Spur Manhandled Meadow 8-1.... even tho this means nothing.....
Beat Ropes.... +17.... District Champ
Lost Crowell.... -13 .... District RU
Beat Rotan.... +23.... District RU
Lost Petersburg.... -4.... District RU..... Lost to Valley 2x, 3 rounds deep
Lost Aspermont.... -35.... District Champ.... 2 rounds deep
Lost Valley.... -49.....District Champ... State Semi Finalist

Not too shabby for a team that played
Fresh- QB
Soph-RB (2)
Fresh RB- 1
and a very your O-line.... If I recall from their roster, their entire offensive line returns minus the OE #7
.. And defense looses 3 (I THINK) a DE, 2 LB

Only thing is.... That district with Valley and Petersburg is murderous.....

I truly believe if Coach Reed hadnt put the second string in when we were 30 points ahead this game would have had a whole different ending!! We are very lucky to have a head coach that doesnt care about scoring as many points as possible, but getting his underclassmen some experience for the next year. Rankin game being a good example. He put in second string with 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter when we were 44 points ahead. Coach Reed is a Class Act and we are very proud and lucky to have him as a Head Coach !!!

I just finished charting the film of the Covenant v Throckmortin game and I have to disagree with the first part of your post. First, Throckmortin's biggest lead was 26 points, 46 - 20 at 3:41 left in the second quarter. Covenant scored before the half to make it 46 - 28 at halftime. After that, it was 52 - 28, 52 - 36, 60 -36, 60 - 42, 68 - 42, 68 - 48, 68 -56, 68 - 64, 68 - 72, 76 - 72 and 76 - 80.

Second, five of the six starters for Throckmortin's offense played virtually every down. The only noticeable change is that #40 appears to replace #20 in the second quarter but plays on offense for the rest of the game. Same thing on defense: five of the six starters play virtually every down with #40 replacing #3 early in the second quarter and playing the rest of the game. Of course, a few other players get into the game for a play or two.

I have no doubt that Coach Reed is a class act getting his underclassmen experience when possible and I congratulate Throckmortin for having such a coach. I'm just not sure that this happened in that game and that the final score was affected by purposefully playing underclassman.

Good luck in the Semi's and the Finals!

Knight Fan":127xtoce said:
OK, I see in several places that the final score was 38 to 24. The film I watched must have missed a play and the scoreboard must have been wrong. Rainjacktx, you are apparently correct. Sorry I doubted you. But I will say that 30ish should be 40ish. ;-)

I was unsure of the score as well. But I knew it was within a two score margin.

The 80-plus yard pick six at the end of the first half was a killer. That was a solid 16 point swing in less than 15 seconds.

Back