What do the Texas Rangers need to do to win

nstink

11-man fan
My opinion is get some real baseball people involved instead of a young kid and a player friendly coach. Quit trading your good players and spend some real money on good pitchers. Any other suggestions?

Sign Torii Hunter and Johan Santana! Especially Santana! They need a stud pitcher! They haven't had a power pitcher since Kevin Brown or Nolan Ryan. Even then, Ryan was old and Brown was starting to get in a groove....then they trade him! Should have never let go of Chris Young!

hogcaller10":1vi0rkqd said:
Sign Torii Hunter and Johan Santana! Especially Santana! They need a stud pitcher! They haven't had a power pitcher since Kevin Brown or Nolan Ryan. Even then, Ryan was old and Brown was starting to get in a groove....then they trade him! Should have never let go of Chris Young!

We'd have to trade basically every prospect we have for Santana. It would be nice to have him, but he'd probably leave in free agency once he gets there.

Need starting pitching,Bad!!! When Millwod is your so-called Ace,You have a problem,I believe every starting pitcher for the Ranger's had a ERA over 5,Not Good! Need a catcher that can hit,the book is still out on Salta,Laird a .220 not good,,,Need a CF, Heard they were looking in Japan for that.

On a side note.Starting next season,All MLB 1st and 3rd base coach's must wear a protective device on the Head.I believe that was passed today.

i read where the rangers will try to sign hunter and try to trade laird. they are going with salta full time. we need a 1st baseman too. probably won't resign wilkerson. again this is what i read at espn.

we definately need starting pitching. santana isn't a free agent until next year. i don't think we need to trade to get him. we would have to give up way too much.

Look at the good players by position that they have got rid or let go of:
LF: Kevin Mench- always could produce a hit when needed
CF: Lance Nix/ Kenny Lofton
SP: Chris Young/ Kenny Rogers/ Josh Danks
RP: Francisco Codero/ Eric Gange
1B: Mark Texeria
C: Ivan Rodriguez

All of these guys are quality players, find a 2B, a RF and 3 more pitchers and they are in the playoffs.

nstink":1wnv2ixb said:

All of these guys are quality players, find a 2B, a RF and 3 more pitchers and they are in the playoffs.

Mench - that's a bad assesment of him. Very bad.
Nix - spare...never will make it. Lofton - done...we got what we needed out of him. Plus, where would Byrdman be if we had all them still. OKC.
Chris Young - bad deal, Kenny Rogers - thought he was done...wrong, 'John' Danks - is not a starter for a big league club. McCarthy will prove that deal to be a good one.
Texiera - best deal John Daniels has made so far. He would have walked in free agency, and we raked in the prospects for him.
Pudge - Rangers missed on that one.

Overall, you can't look at this crap. Our farm system is one of the best in the biz now, and brighter days are soon to come. John Hart is an idiot and killed us. Now Daniels is trying to clean it up. We'll see some action this offseason, but everything is being done to compete in 09-10. A playoff appearance would be nice in 08, but we're building, so not likely.

nstink":3gnuatij said:

I'd pull Gagne out of that list in a heartbeat! That dang Texeria caught on fire for the braves! He wanted to leave so there wasn't much they could do about that!

I forgot about Gagne in my list above. That was one heck of a deal. We came out far and above on top in that trade. Kason Gabbard and David Murphy will be big players for us.

I would like to start at the top, change the ownership, change the GM, and change the manager. I would suggest that they use the farm system to produce starting pitching for themselves rather that trade them to other clubs for their #4 and #5 starting pitchers. I would like to see an immeadiate upgrade through free agency at centerfield (Torri Hunter would be ideal.) They should not hit the free agent market for more #4 and #5 starters. We have plenty of them already. Save that free agent money for a #1 starter that will actually make an impact even in Arlington. The last #1 starter that Texas had from their farm system in the majors for themselves was Kevin Brown. They traded him rather than trying to pay him market price. Trading their good defensive catcher and keeping one that can't throw runners out at second is par for the course at Texas. I was not impressed with Salty, his offense or his defense at either defensive position.

I can agree, maybe I was wrong with some of my assessments. Good idea with the owner and manager. Maybe the President will get the club back after he leaves office. that was the olny owner they won with.

If the Rangers are serious about trading Laird, that can only mean that they feel Teagarden (sp?) is ready for the majors. Salty is not ready to be the full time catcher!

hogcaller10":1vqf2351 said:

A baseball player can sell himself to a new team if he has a good pitch.

Back