What to do in an emergency situation ...

freeagent

Six-man pro
Guys, I doubt if I'm the "expert" on this and maybe I am looking for other advice and voices on this, but last Friday for the second time in five years, I was on the field/sidelines when EMS and airlife had to helicopter a young man off a football field.

Fortunately, in both instances, the young men were fine and released from the hospital that evening. But it is a sobering and scary incident. And some day, perhaps our luck will run out. Lord willing, He will continue to protect these young men.

Anyway, a couple things came to mind:

1. If you are not already hiring an EMS tech and an off-duty police/sheriff deputy for your games (especially varsity games), start doing so. In both instances, their presence at the time of injury was extremely valuable. I know UIL has some requirements for this already, private schools are less regulated on this.

It may cost you $60-100 for each of these folks, and hopefully most nights, it will be wasted money.

But the night you need them, it is well worth all those other nights they sat around and ate your food and drank your sodas. The EMS tech or ambulance crew (an ambulance may cost you much more unless you have a friend in high places who can arrange to have someone park their bus in the endzone for the night) can provide the needed first aid AND contact the folks who can get help quickly. An off duty police officer can help direct traffic, clear areas as needed, and also contact help (I can tell you that we had a good number of Guadalupe Co. Sherriff's officers here Friday night, as well as Seguin EMS ambulance and fire personnel). They can advise you if areas need to be cleared for a helicopter landing; we found we needed to get some folks to move cars (some doofus moved his/her car into an exit lane AFTER the fire engine and ambulance arrived...).

In our case, the helicopter landed on the football field and we needed to clear sidelines (that sucker kicked up a lot of wind). I was told by some in the know that it would have been better to land elsewhere, and although I'm not a pilot, I'd think that a nice lighted area was as good as anyplace I could think of.

The presence of these EXPERTS allows you as school officials to focus on crowd control, etc. instead of actually managing the medical emergency.

2. I had the good fortune to be the PA announcer Friday night. When the injury occured, I made a conscious decision to SHUT UP. I did not speculate on who was down (in fact, the initial report I had since the injury was on the other sideline was that another athlete was down), nor did I speculate on what happened. I decided that my medical diagnostic abilities were not earned through an accredited medical college nor were they very effective approximately 50 yards away from the scene.

Not until the young man was safely loaded into the ambulance (and awaiting the helicopter) did the PA come back to life (and I actually had our assistant pastor lead the group in prayer).

Until we could identify the player AND find his parents (who fortunately were on the sideline as our junior high coach and his mother operating the clock), silence was golden. And then, quietly getting them to their child was better than saying "Would Mr. & Mrs. Smith please come to the field" via the PA.

3. Your game administrator should be aware to keep folks from trying to go to the field. Again, if medical and security personnel are on site, you can focus on this instead of the injury itself. If your school leadership (principal, pastor, etc.) aren't at the game, it's probably worthwhile having someone reach them via phone to advise them what's going on.

4. You may also get calls from media, etc. asking what went on. Be careful what you share with the media. Ask permission of the athlete's parents on what information you can or cannot share (there is some concern about HIPPA medical privacy laws). You should determine who from your school is the person authorized to talk to the media. With today's cell phone cameras, videos, etc. people can and will send these to the media.

I'm not certain this is anywhere a "comphrensive" way of handling this situation ... but as I was told by another Seguin EMS tech after the helicopter had left, this is the standard operating procedure for any head/neck injury especially in a football game.

Let me add ... the immediate presence of an EMS tech on site probably saved 15-20 minutes that would have been taken to call an ambulance, have them assess the situation and call for airlife. The EMS tech was on his radio back to the fire station, arranging for EMS and airlife within the first couple minutes of the situation.

PS ... Jayson's jersey probably isn't going to be used anytime soon except as a cleaning rag. Lots of stuff got cut. We spent a couple minutes finding a screwdriver to remove his face mask (at the EMS tech's request); Coach reminded us we have a clippers that would have done the job quicker.

Thanks for this first hand info JT.
Amongst all our FB drills,
Perhaps we should be having some emergency drills too?

I usually just break the glass and pull that little red handle.
Seriously, as a former paramedic, I wish coaches would have some drills to teach kids what to do in an onfield emergency situation. Maybe I should have said what not to do.

smokeyjoe53":1rnopgu7 said:
Seriously, as a former paramedic, I wish coaches would have some drills to teach kids what to do in an onfield emergency situation. Maybe I should have said what not to do.

Okay ... what to do and not to do? You're the expert.

smokeyjoe53":3kemwfns said:

I'm not sure that a kid should be doing anything in an emergency situation on the field other than getting out of the way and taking a knee.

There should be trained adults on-hand at every event to tend to emergencies. In addition, the coach should have adequate training to deal with such emergencies.

And not to sound to cynical, but - there could be serious civil liabilities having a kid administer first-aid on the field.

That's why I added what not to do. I would include coaches in this as well.
#1. Don't yank a helmet off. C-spine can be stabilized without removing the helmet. Ditto airway.
Nothing will take the place of having trained personnel available.

If no trained personnel are on site, along with the A,B,C's you would have to include Stabilization.
I agree with Rainjack that liability is an issue however, with just a little basic training kids can make a difference.
A few years ago I was on my way home and happened to be first on scene of a motorcycle vs truck accident. I had no equipment but I was able to do a quick assessment of MC driver and passenger.
Small things like assessing the scene can make a difference to emergency crews. Being able to describe the "mechanism of injury" can be very important to crews.
I certainly don't consider myself an expert, but you do feel an obligation to render aid when possible. It is also important to remember to yield to trained personnel when they arrive on scene.
An expert is defined as someone carrying a briefcase and is 100 miles from home.

Sounds to me like you made the best choice by keeping your cool on the PA and not getting everyone all worked up. If that situation came up again being calm is your best option. The crowd will most likely feed off of your tone. If your calm people will follow but if they hear you crack over the loud speaker they will most likely panic. I agree totally on the security and EMS being at each game regardless if they are utilized or not. Ive been the security at a lot of Penelope home games and was never really "called upon" for anything major. Kids being kids or the occassional smoking violations. A lot of these small schools don't have the funds to keep Police or EMS at each game. But pay close attention to your surroundings because there are more off duty officers, volunteer fireman, and nurses and doctors at these games than you will realize. When the time is right they kick it in 2nd gear and do what's necessary. I'm proud to say that no matter how much two schools or teams hate each other or compete against one another, when tragedy strikes we usually become one just for that moment. I helped carry a Trinidad player to a private car A couple years ago and was thanked by many from both sides. At those moments it's not about being a cop, or getting paid for a service or about rivalry...it's about being a good person overall. Lifegate it sounds like you did your duty and did right. Keep your wits about you and when you have that mic just remember that more people are listening than you think. Keep up the good work and keep everybody informed. And for those that continue to call games, get with your school administrators and coaches and get a plan of action, just in case. It really does help when tragedy hits.

I agree totally with SmokeyJoe and Lifegate, as Im in the medical field myself. Very good thread on this topic

I would definitely agree about being quiet on the PA for as long as necessary. A couple of years ago, we had a home game and one of my guys tackled an opposing player and as they went down EVERYONE heard a loud crunch. Immediately we knew something was wrong. Thankfully, one of my assistant coaches at the time was a former paramedic and was able to help stabilize the player. He had a clean break in his femur. The entire time our PA announcer was quiet until asked to lead in a quick word of prayer. It did wonders to the crowd. There were whispers about who it was and what had happened but definitely not the confusion that could have occured had the PA announcer kept talking and speculating.

Also, we ended up taking up a little gift from all those who could contribute that night. It wasn't much, but it was still good to see two opposing teams and fan groups coming together in the midst of a crisis and supporting the one who had gotten hurt.

Good post, lifegate.
An incident several years ago made me wake up to the need for emergency personnel to be on site at the games:
Wheeler was playing Munday in a playoff game down in Childress.
During the course of the game, one of the Wheeler players was injured (dislocated elbow).......we waited for the ambulance or someone to come onto the field......and waited, and waited...........for 41 minutes, that player lay out on the turf. The coaches went up to him a couple times, but no one stayed with him. Finally another nurse I work with (I've been a nurse for 15 years just FYI) had enough and tried to get on the field to at least cover the kid with a blanket or something as it was near freezing temps that night...........she was stopped from going onto the field to at least be there with the player to let him know someone was there and help was on the way.
Since that game, I look around to make sure there are emergency personnel on site BEFORE every game.
Perhaps it was an oversight, heck, it HAD to have been an oversight by someone, but it was completely unnecessary.
If you're a coach, an official, a parent of a player, or even just a fan, PLEASE point it out if you don't see an ambulance or some other form of response team on site before a game starts. The incident I described wasn't life threatening, but had it been, that young man would have probably died, as all of us who tried to go to him were turned away............

Back