What a Good Coach Needs

PopRay

11-man fan
“A good football coach needs a patient wife, a loyal dog, and a great quarterback – but not necessarily in that order.” – Bud Grant

A team of kids that are talented but humble, confident but not cocky, and don't think they know it all. And that are all orphans.

I always say a good coach needs someone who knows exactly what play to call, what the other team is gonna do, but so far have not been able to get them put down their pop and popcorn and come out of the stands.

I just need kids that will buy into the program. I don't need a 4.5 kid or a 6'3 kid (even though it would be nice). In our schemes, if each player does their own job, the team will be successful. We're holding each one responsible for their conditioning, weights, grades and play. You solidify your program with a united front; the rest will take care of itself. We may not win state every year; but we will win a lot of ball games and most of our kids will continue their education after high school.

One of these signs (courtesy of Michigan State):

BYG1EemCUAAY2Ub.jpg

“Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” Lou Holtz

So a consensus of opinion of what a coach needs so far:
1. A good wife
2. Loyalty and encouragement of parents if available
3. Orphans(players) who have some talent and are teachable
4. Ability to motivate and teach

TALENT......
A TALENTED kid that can run, complete passes, read the field, and be a team leader.......
EXAMPLE - TYLER ETHRIDGE

Every coach in 6 man would take one of those

OR-----

Now I've also heard that a MOM & DAD combo will call great plays (for their son)

Most coaches will look good with exceptional talent....that's not the test of a "good" coach....a good coach takes an average team and gets them to play to their best... sometimes surprising good teams...

A good coach can take a small group of Freshmen, weighing in at around 110 - 115 soaking wet, and lead them to a District Championship and into the playoffs. (playing both ways against teams of upperclassmen) That is not what most coaches would want to try, but sometimes the challenge presents itself. A "Tyler Ethridge" or a "Shelby Smith" would be great to have, but they don't come around very often.

Sometimes it can be a war of attrition with the smaller squads...how you prepare your underclassmen makes a difference...

It takes a 100% dedicated Coach and his time. It takes a 100% calm and patience for the wives. She dresses the kids into their cheering shirts or sweaters. A wife that goes and does things far and beyond her own. A wife is the Coaches best Friends. That's why Coaches look for their wives after the games. Hooray to the wives.

I think a good coach needs faith in what he is doing (most coaches I have seen have this) and also young men that have faith in their coach (this is the tricky part). There are so many things that factor into a coaches success though that this list could go on and on.

So a consensus of opinion of what a coach needs so far:
1. A good wife
2. Loyalty and encouragement of parents if available
3. Orphans(players) who have some talent and are teachable
4. Ability to motivate and teach
5. A game plan that is easily understood and concise
6. Faith in the program and players(Orphans) and dedication to it
7. ....

Back