Wellman-Union coach to go before UIL Exec Cmte

granger":5kr58h1f said:
There was a guy born in Hermleigh named Grant Teaff who won a few games there...

I never knew he was born in Hermleigh. My girlfriend bought the tickets as a surprise because I was so excited about Baylor winning the South West Conference for the first time in 50 years. Didn't know Billy Graham was there wearing a green scarf until I red this article. Note the author of it. Penn State broke the Cotton Bowl record for points with 41... almost broke the passing record with 220 something yards??? Wow. Good game until the fourth quarter.
Still have the ticket stubs in a scrap book along with a "God Bless Grant Teaff" bumper sticker.

https://www.wacotrib.com/sports/college ... 31225.html

LBK6manFan":2850qhkl said:
One _pac2018":2850qhkl said:
Only reason Baylor is on the map is because of briles .

Very fair statement, great points! Only thing I disagree with is Briles putting Baylor on the map. That would be Anne Richards lol

Briles is a great coach, but I always thought that the one who put Baylor on the map was John Bridgers. A lot of you are not old enough to remember him, but he was not only a great person, but brought the pro style passing game to the Southwest Conference with quarterback Don Trull with his wide receiver Lawrence Elkins from Brownwood, and a pretty good sixman receiver from Talpa named Knox Pittard. Bridgers took a little shirttail program and only lacked a little bit taking out Darrell Royal's big UT team for the Conference Championship.

One of his greatest accomplishments in my opinion was his breaking the color barrier in the Southwest Conference when he brought in John Westbrook to play for Baylor. SMU was next, and all the other teams followed.

We used to get together at whoever's house had a TV to watch the John Bridgers Show on Channel 10. A great man and coach.

From my understanding, just listened on radio, he had his players doing up downs pretty much everytime they made a mistake in that game and then continued to do up downs himself, in front of the referee who threw a flag on WU. Then hopped in the bus and pulled it up to the fence.

Goodness Johnny, I thought I'm getting old. Don Trull graduated in 1962 (still kickin at 78 per Wikipedia). Went on to play for the Houston Oilers (I.E. the Not Tennessee Titans) and Boston (Not new England) Patriots. One could say he's one of Tom Brady's predecessors.

Granger I have once. I felt like I was provoked and the young official was more at fault than I was. Not worth fighting I was told, UIL always sides with officials. Waste of time and money for a wrist slap.

Bluecat98":3vefahjb said:
Granger I have once. I felt like I was provoked and the young official was more at fault than I was. Not worth fighting I was told, UIL always sides with officials. Waste of time and money for a wrist slap.

I got close a couple of times. Once I was coaching 5th grade basketball in a private school league. Most of the kids had never played basketball before. The UT intramural officials were our officials. I was sick as a dog and the parents were complaining about calls behind the bench. They felt I wasn't complaining enough. I finally walked onto the court and asked the lead official (who did most of our games) to T me up. He did. Then I returned to the bench and told the parents I had done my part. With no assistant, they either needed to settle down or they were going to have to coach the team if I got tossed....

granger":3p5r6o63 said:
Bluecat98":3p5r6o63 said:

I got close a couple of times. Once I was coaching 5th grade basketball in a private school league. Most of the kids had never played basketball before. The UT intramural officials were our officials. I was sick as a dog and the parents were complaining about calls behind the bench. They felt I wasn't complaining enough. I finally walked onto the court and asked the lead official (who did most of our games) to T me up. He did. Then I returned to the bench and told the parents I had done my part. With no assistant, they either needed to settle down or they were going to have to coach the team if I got tossed....

I know there is a shortage of officials and it is something that I did for a little pocket change in college so I know the job is difficult. I have never had a problem with officials that were approachable and most were in my 15-year coaching career. It's the officials that give you attitude when you try to ask questions or obviously know more of the rule book than they do that are a problem.

Cougarfan13":2n9vnnmz said:
Sixman Football, this site has really gone to the dogs for the past few years. Nothing but SJW and conspiracy theories.

No ones forcing you to stay on the site bud. If you dont like it, then you dont have to be on it. I appreciate what Granger and the other folks that help with this site do. been keeping up with this site since I was 10 years old. I'm 33 now.

Now SJW and conspiracy theories.... where did that come from? Lol.
If you want to get into politics, so be it. This is a football site.
*Also i love my president, cant wait for 2020

granger":adavk7z9 said:
Bluecat98":adavk7z9 said:

That's pretty fun and clever of you! I like that better than getting a "T" to fire up your team.

Back