week 5... UPSETS....

Kramer

11-man fan
NOT SO FAST MY FRIENDS ......... If there is any week for upsets, it's this week.......

Garden City vs Balmorhea .............should be a good game, I believe Balmorhea bounces back in a HUGE WAY

Crowell vs Blum is 0 (pickem) ...... Crowell in a landslide

Borden County defeats Knox City ...... Spread is 2, but BC wins big. BC has the BIG GAME experience.

NOW THE 2 MAJOR UPSETS....

Watauga Harvest will upset Coolidge this week... Line is 6, I'm gona say Harvest is on a mission and may have better skilled athletes/players.
&
#1 Private School Waco Live Oak (4-0) will upset #3 Uil Calvert (4-0). I believe Calvert won on a last second play last year, but I just think Live Oak has something special going on.

You heard it here first ladies and gents......

Kramer":220jxml4 said:
NOT SO FAST MY FRIENDS ......... If there is any week for upsets, it's this week.......

Garden City vs Balmorhea .............should be a good game, I believe Balmorhea bounces back in a HUGE WAY

Borden County defeats Knox City ...... Spread is 2, but BC wins big. BC has the BIG GAME experience.

Watauga Harvest will upset Coolidge this week... Line is 6, I'm gona say Harvest is on a mission and may have better skilled athletes/players.
&
#1 Private School Waco Live Oak (4-0) will upset #3 Uil Calvert (4-0). I believe Calvert won on a last second play last year, but I just think Live Oak has something special going on.

Balmorhea over GC
Crowell very close with Blum (if Blum running back is healthy)
BC over KC

I will keep my opinion to myself on the Waco Live Oak/Calvert game

But I must disagree strongly with you on the Coolidge/ Harvest game. Harvest has a decent team and will have a good season, but Coolidge will blow them out. After seeing Coolidge play earlier in the season, I see a mercy rule in their future!!!

Upset Alert!!!
Coolidge is my upset team of the year!! I see the beating Abbott and winning that district.

Kramer":o3imrjhc said:

&

Waco Live Oak and Calvert both played Methodist Children's Home in back 2 back weeks.
Live Oak won by 6 and Calvert won by 45+.
IMO Live Oak is better coached and will be better prepared, but Calvert should win by 20-30
Its not the X's and O's but the Jimmys and Joes

Calvert by 32............ Haven't seen them play this year but believe they have improved from last year. I've never seen any team as athletic top to bottom..........

This site has (4-0) Gordon favored over (3-0) Walnut Springs by 15, while the sixmania site has Walnut Springs favored over Gordon by 34....so this game will be an upset either way.

In response to the above:

Watauga will have their first loss of the season to Coolidge. Spread at Pigskin is double the spread here plus Watauga won by one point over an above average team in Ft Worth THESA. A top of the food chain TAPPS D1 team should have better performance. I believe Watauga is a #4 team in D1 at best. Coolidge -14.

Calvert beats Waco LO. Saw Calvert at the Bryan Allen Classic. Waco is very, very respectable, but Calvert is the clear winner here. Calvert -18.

I've seen both Waco Live Oak and Calvert on film. Both are great teams, but are pretty much opposites from one another.

Calvert runs 2-3 different sets, nothing fancy, a lot of basic (tight) sixman plays. They run them really well though, cut block well, their qb does a good job of getting out in front of the rb on the pitch plays. Obviously they have great speed. Not the type of speed or size they had in the mid-2000s with Mario Smith and Brian Ford, but they are fast.

Live Oak runs several different sets, a little bit more versatile on offense. Have a big kid, number 5, he's a bruiser. Probably don't block as well as Calvert but obviously can put up some points. They have a good kicker and excel on special teams. I can see why they are number 1 among private schools right now (according to Dave Campbells). They adjust well during the game and have a great coach that has been in the big games before.

It's going to be a great game. I was blessed as a player to be able to play against Calvert in Calvert and to coach against them in Calvert. No doubt it's a tough place to play and coach. Live Oak has won there before and I think they win Friday.

Going to be a close one, Final Score: Live Oak 52 - Calvert 48

It has been quiet all year. I'm thrilled to see some banter. I'm not sure I would call THESA an above avg team. They are a very good football team. I'm not saying that they will win state or even beat Emory this week but I wouldn't over look them.

Coolidge looks like the read deal. They are big and have a few speedsters. Its a good mix of speed and power in a small school. Keep an eye on them. Very good and underrated team.

I'm not sure what to think of Harvest this year. I'm not saying they will win and upset Coolidge or even cover the spread but I would be surprised if they get 45'd this week. They are usually better prepared than that.

Harvest doesn't seem to have the scoring offense that they had last year, which could catch up with them this week. They can't score with high powered offenses as they did last year.

I assume when you say D1 you are talking about Division 1 not District 1. I don't think there is another team in district 1 that competes with the top 3 in that district.
1. Rockwall
2. Emory
3. Midland
4. Logos
5. Harvest

smokeyjoe53":3u9kqmmy said:
Calvert by 32............ Haven't seen them play this year but believe they have improved from last year. I've never seen any team as athletic top to bottom..........
Calvert by 45, athleticism, experience (last years state semi, maybe they have learned to dominate since), and possibly even better coaching. Then again if they read this post they might get the big head and go in over confident.

Absolutely no way Live Oak gets 45'ed.

JaQuan Thompson (#7) is a great player for Calvert, but so is Demery Lindsey from Inspired Vision. In fact I would say they are extremely similar, with Demery being a little taller. They both are quick/fast and are great sixman players. The only difference is that nobody knows who Demery is because of where he plays.

Live Oak gave Demery fits and kept him in check most of the night. My point is... LO has seen talent that is comparable to JaQuan. There's not going to be that "Oh man that kid is fast, what are we going to do" moment for LO.

Side note: I consider Demery to be a lot like Dante Johnson was for SA Castle Hills last year. A great talent that won't get a whole lot of attention until the end of the season when people start talking about him. Kid definitely has a chance to play in college somewhere.

Johnny South":38qayq5l said:
texas man":38qayq5l said:
Calvert by 45 no question watch number #7 take over the show best player in D2 if you ask me.

How does he compare to Marty Flores of Rochelle? I would say probably not as good.

I admittedly hadn't watched a whole lot of film on Flores until now. He's great. They are definitely in the same tier as far as talent goes. Flores looks a little stronger and bigger than JaQuan, but I think JaQuan is faster. My opinion.

centexfan7":3dm3fa89 said:
Johnny South":3dm3fa89 said:
texas man":3dm3fa89 said:
Calvert by 45 no question watch number #7 take over the show best player in D2 if you ask me.

How does he compare to Marty Flores of Rochelle? I would say probably not as good.

I admittedly hadn't watched a whole lot of film on Flores until now. He's great. They are definitely in the same tier as far as talent goes. Flores looks a little stronger and bigger than JaQuan, but I think JaQuan is faster. My opinion.

I'd have have to disagree with Johnny about the best player in D2.. I didn't know much about Balmorhea till they played Richland springs. I did some research and saw a highlight video on their running back Isaiah Mendoza.. He has to be one of the fastest most explosive running backs I've seen playing 6-man football in years. Read that he broke an ankle as well in the first round last year. He definitely is in the debate.

Watching Calvert for the first time this season, and all I can saw is WOW. #7 can flat out beat you with his arm and his legs, but what's more impressive is that its halftime and he has called his own plays on both sides of the ball. Coaches are 20 yards away from where the ball is snapped, and he has not looked towards the sidelines for any instructions or help. Tough matchup for any team in the State.

Back