Week 10 Games That Matter - Picks

WV Backer":30l5wxw8 said:
WildcatClassOf89":30l5wxw8 said:
Edward Golden":30l5wxw8 said:
Throck Vs. Knox City for 2nd in Dist. 8

I agree!!

A top ten D1 team won't even make the playoffs..........Ugh!!! (And yes I know KC fell to 11th)

Meat grinder!!!!!!!!!!!

I hadn't realized that until you said it. I thought the Rankin/Garden City district was tough but District 8 is even worse. There will be some bummed out Greyhounds no matter how you slice it.

In 2007, Rankin, GC, and Grady all finished tied for the district title. All were in the top 15 and one had to stay home that year. It seems to happen in a couple of districts almost every year.

That sounds similar to what happened in D-2 District 2 last year. MC was forced to forfeit a district game because of an ineligible player. Kinda threw the whole district race into chaos.

Longhorn85":349j4ld5 said:
Mayberry 36":349j4ld5 said:
I will say Happy vs McLean should be a game for the District Championship.
These type of games can go either way since both teams are playing for the same
Trophy. McLean is riding a 4 game winning streak, and back to back to back upsets.
Happy looks dang good, and are coached well
McLean has a potent run offense 473 total rushing yards against
a good Miami team. I will go with the under dog again

I didnt include this game in the list because I honestly don't see this going any way except Happy 45ing McLean

That is a strong possibility. If McLean beats Happy, I will dance naked in the middle of a pasture and pray, because I then know God is in the mood for miracles if the Tigers win.

EastTexasCoach":3q05dx1a said:
Apple Springs vs. Oakwood should be a high scoring game with their offensive weapons. Whichever teams gets some key stops will win. I like Apple Springs at home winning the district title.
I really hope so!!!! I live out of state and have not been able to keep up with these teams... Looks like Oakwood has lost more games, but to very tough opponents... I think Apple Springs is due to finally win their district.... Soar High Eagles!!!!

hornkeeper12":3hksckqc said:
coachsatcher":3hksckqc said:
Leman Saunders":3hksckqc said:
Buckholts v Mt Calm has some possible ramifications right??? If Mt Calm wins wouldn't it force a 3 way tie?

The only scenario where Mt Calm gets in is to beat Buckholts by at least 21 points. Not saying it can't happen, just shedding light on the scenarios. If that were to happen, it would be a three way tie in the standings, with each team having a head-to-head advantage over at least one team involved, and a tie in the point differential. This would end in the ever popular coin flip and I'm not sure how they would decide the #1 seed.
This brought up an interesting thought in my head. And by no means am I advocating someone doing this, but it came across the lobe and I didn't have an answer so I thought I would ask.

What keeps a team that is in your position, besides the obvious ethical reasons, from just forfeiting to keep from getting beat by 21? Even if you are pretty sure that you will win, the wrong injury or really bad calls or even just a team that you are better than having the game of their career could possibly keep you out of the playoffs (if the coin flip didn't go your way), where a forfeit would guarantee that you were in, because you only lost 0-1. Is there something in the rules that prevents that?

Not sure how the tiebreaker was done in this district, but the way I've always written three-way tiebreakers is something like this: First, look at head-to-head meetings between the three (or more teams). If you can eliminate a team on wins (say A is 2-0, B is 1-1, and C is 0-2 among the three teams but tied in standings, then you go A-B-C). But usually, they're all 1-1.

So then, the tiebreaker takes place. All the district tiebreakers I went with were 21 point maximums. That means, even if you 45'd me, the most you could get in the tiebreaker is 21 points. That minimizes the temptation to run up the score.

I would then add another tiebreaker, just in case that was a tie. What I used was the team that allowed the fewest points in district play had the tiebreaker. You know, defense wins championships. While we like to have high scoring games, this ain't the NBA, brother. Learn to play defense.

Actually had to figure that stat last year in our district. We were 5-0 going into the final game against a team 4-1 and if they won, there would be a three-way tie at 5-1. Somehow, I figured the only way that we could lose the district title would be to lose by something like 122-100. It didn't happen.

Coin flip was the next tiebreaker. I just liked to have a second tiebreaker beyond points before the coin flip.

Not sure what the rule is in UIL, but in TAPPS, it used to be a forfeit in a district game made you ineligible for the playoffs. But it would be easy to assign a 21 point loss in this scenario (and maybe some "phantom points," say another 24 to bring it to 45 on the district defensive points allowed in case the fewest points allow stat comes into play.

Whatever you do, have these tie-breakers in writing in advance and everybody signs off on them. Otherwise, you start with coin flips. And that stinks.

Back