Week 10 Games of the Week - 2018

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
Too many big game to list this week!

Milford (6-1) @ Coolidge (6-0)
A game many have been looking forward to all season. Both schools have been ranked in the top 10 from the start of two-a-days.

The hiring of Nathan Hayes as head coach and the addition of his senior son Skyler Hayes (452 yards passing; 26-365, 4 TDs rushing) to the roster has given the Yellowjackets a new level of intensity this season. Jordan Brown (52-815, 19 TDs rushing; 29 tackles; 232 yards passing) is an all-state caliber player and tough as nails. Defensively, Coolidge has allowed just 69 points all season, 30 of which were last week against Avalon, wow! The Yellowjackets defensive mainstays have been Colton Carter (71 tackles, 3 FR) and Skyler Hayes (59 tackles, 7 INTs).

Coach Ronny Crumpton’s Milford squad has a high octane offense lead by all-state player Ta’ron Smith (57-101-2 for 1,150 yards, 29 TDs passing; 34-660 yards, 8 TDs rushing), but he is far from the only talented player on the Bulldogs roster: Corbin Schrotke (87 tackles), Ricky Pendleton (59 tackles, 29-431, 9 TDs rushing), Tyvon Gates (12-360, 10 TDs receiving), Jasean Brooks (16-243, 11 TDs receiving) and Damyan Woodwad (4 INTs) all can make big plays when called upon. Defensively up front the Bulldogs are stout and that defensive line of Schrotke, Pendleton and Brooks is rarely talked about and is very very good!

Keys to the Game:
Both teams will need to play a clean game and not let the referees become a factor. Coolidge will need to be tight in the secondary, not blow their coverages, and pick off multiple Bulldog passes. On offense they will need to make the big plays like converting on 3rd and 4th and long downs. In contrast Milford will need to have a seamless passing attack with minimal drops and no turnovers, but maybe more importantly Ta’ron Smith needs to tuck the ball and run it for good yardage instead of trying to force a pass. Defensively the Bulldogs will need to dominate the line of scrimmage and not give up those big down plays that Coolidge will be looking to make.

My Take:
Points will be scored and Coolidge will have a slight home field advantage, as seems to be the case more often than not out East in the small school divisions. Coolidge is gunning for Milford and their intensity and fight I think is a bit more intense this season than in seasons past. Brown and Hayes are great players and will have a heavy workload tonight. Milford has weapons…Smith ya obviously... but not many folks talk about Ricky Pendleton or Corbin Schrotke who are equally as dangerous on both offense and defense. Coolidge has had a problem trying to fill open dates this year as they have had 3 open weeks which is unheard of…will all those weeks off help or hurt in this game? I like the Yellowjackets chances in this game and if they win I will not be shocked…(here comes the but)… but I think Milford offensively has too much depth and size. Milford 56 Coolidge 44.

Follett (6-2) @ Groom (7-1)
The game that will likely decide the district champion and runner-up for DII district one. This is always a battle up there on the plains and this year for sure will be! These two have played many common opponents and both look to be getting stronger as the season has progressed. QB Christian Barber is the player to watch for Follett Panthers and RBs Corbin Ruthardt and Braedon Williams are the players to watch for the Groom Tigers. In a classic game I’m taking Follett by a 4: Follett 64 Groom 60.

Grandfalls-Royalty (6-2) @ Buena Vista (4-4)
The top two teams in DII district five square off out west as Grandfalls travels to Buena Vista. Both are 2-0 and a win goes a long way in determining the district champion and essentially secures a playoff spot. Buena Vista’s RB Kendrick Tarin will be a force for the Longhorns. Grandfalls SB Oscar Huertes had a big game last week with 471 yards of total offense and I expect he will have another one this week. Grandfalls 58 Buena Vista 50.

Whitharral (8-0-1) @ Anton (7-1)
Another big game up in DII district three. Whitharral held off Amherst last week to remain undefeated. This game will decide who is the district champion. The Panthers bend-don’t-break defense will be tested this game against a solid Anton team. Both schools have several major playmakers; Whitharral with QB Chris Albus, RB Kody Gonzales and DB Tyler Swanger; Anton with RB Elijah Alafa and QB/LB Tristian Hodges. I like Anton’s speed and explosiveness just a little bit better. Anton 52 Whitharral 45

Veribest (4-5) @ Eden (4-3)
This is a must win game for both schools as the winner will have a very solid shot at making the playoffs while the loser will have to hope for some sort of tie breaker. Veribest will need a big performance from RB Isaac Oviedo, while Eden will rely on the arm of the QB/SB Hunter Rodgers. I think Rodgers exposes the Veribest secondary and the Bulldogs will be in control most of the game and the Falcons will have to play keep up on the scoreboard and will fall just short of victory. Eden 54 Veribest 40.

Other Big Game Picks:
Blum over Abbott – a must win for Abbott
Aquilla over Gholson – Both need a win to stay alive in the playoff hunt
Richland Springs over Cherokee – San Saba County rivalry game
Ira over Aspermont – barring something crazy, this is for the district championship
Morton over Wellman-Union – game will likely decide the district runner-up
Zephyr over Jonesboro – both are 1-0 in district play, whom ever wins is sitting pretty for tops in district
Ropes over Meadow - Rivalry game. Meadow needs a win to muddy the district waters

Another important game is Happy vs Petersburg, most likely for the runner up spot behind Naz. Must win game for the Happy Cowboys tonight and I think they’ll get it done in a close one.

Back