Upset Alert: Week 1

Preseason rankings are just that... preseason rankings. Nobody knows anything until you get on the field... out of the 15 games played yesterday, that was the only one that was an upset. Wilderado could be, but there's no real way to determine what they would ever do (or the JV team they played)

In my opinion best web site and best ranking system in the state. why would you insult the guy who provides you a forum to speak. anyway week 1 is the best upset possibilities so here are my picks
FW Naz 64 Evant 74
Jonesboro 48 Newcastle 40
May 78 RS 56
Strawn 60 BC 56
They can't be upsets unless somebody ranks 'em

edbassmaster1":luh8j76b said:
waco methodist upsets gordon was one i didnt see coming in.. just shows ya the ranking process is not up to snuff
I listened to this game last night and it was a very competitive game. Gordon was leading in the third quarter when I first tuned in but Waco Methodist took the lead shortly thereafter. Gordon moved the ball consistently except when getting close to the goal at times. Waco Methodist had a polished passing attack which kept Gordon off balance at times. Waco Methodist also had a fast running back who made a difference in the outcome. Waco Methodist stopped Gordon on their final drive which would have won the game If you listened to the player and coach interviews after the game Waco Methodist had not won a game since 2014!! So I congratulate both teams on a game well played. Whoever scored last wins, what more could you ask?

edbassmaster1":36w8yrhd said:
wasnt an insult just stating you cant bank on preseason rankings when there hasnt been any games played
Pretty sure you can’t “bank” on rankings period. I’ve said it once if not 1000 times. The game results are what determine the rankings, NOT the rankings determine the game results.

Scores that made you do a double take.

1. Avalon smashing Abbott
2. Aspermont all over Aquilla
3. Grandfalls Royalty crushing Whitharral
4. Waco Methodist Home beating Gordon

Standout private school upsets from week one:

Bryan Allen destroying Sugar Land Logos Prep 50-0. Is Logos just down this year or is Allen that good? I knew Allen was returning significant talent but did not think Logos would be no competition.

Dallas Lakehill over Bulverde Bracken 48-20. That senior class is going to be sorely missed by Bracken. Anyone think after this game Bracken will contend for division 2 again?

Dallas Lutheran demolished by Garland Christian 59-12. Lutheran has to be down more than we thought. I don’t know much about these teams but expected Lutheran to put up decent numbers.

Lake Jackson Brazosport trouncing Katy Faith West 56-16. Brazosport was clearly down last year and didn’t come close to racking up 50+. Is Faith West down or is Brazosport a contender this year?

Sugar Land HCYA Fort Bend crushed by Corpus Christi Coastal Christian. I don’t know much new about Coastal Christian but expected to see HCYA Fort Bend put on a better performance. They have to be down to only put up 7.

Lastly, although this was not an upset, it was interesting. Haslet Heritage losing to Baytown Christian by only 8. A 42-34 win for Baytown makes me think they are coming crashing down from last year’s juggernaut team. I’m aware they no longer have the transfers from last year but they are fielding 26 guys from what I heard. Will they remain good enough to defend their division 3 crown?

A few other scores I found of interest, not all truly upsets.

Baird favored by 9 over Sands, they won by 45. Welcome to sixman.
Follett favored by 45 over Claude. Claude won by 50.
Milford favored by 45 over Gorman won by 24.
Stephenville Faith favored by 45 over Rochelle. Rochelle won by 27.
Throckmorton favored by 45 over North Side lost 33-30.
Jonesboro, a 5 point underdog to Newcastle, won by 18.
Lometa favored to 45 Lingleville won by 21.
Oakwood favored by 45 over Huntsville Alpha Omega won by 26.
Richland Springs favored by 18 over May covered the spread winning by 21, but they didn't 45 them as at least one poster predicted.
Strawn scored first, then went up 24-8. Borden County came back to make it 24-22 near the end of the half. Then the last play of the half turned in to 3 plays as Strawn committed 2 straight penalties and BC made a field goal on the 3rd try to go up 26-24. Though the Hounds did get a safety in the second half the Coyotes pulled away to win by 29. I was afraid it could have been worse. Almost a whole new starting team for SHS. BC had to have had revenge in mind after getting shut out 50-0 last year. Hat's off to them.
Finally, in what had to be one of the best games of opening weekend, High Island was favored by 15 over Seguin Lifegate. They won 55-54.

Suprise score of the West
Grandfalls 45ing whitharral
Assuming a closer game. Another East coach coming west and seeing the coaching difference.

Suprise score of the East
Not avalon scoring 47 but Abbott only managing 7 total points.
Has the Crawford regime ran its course at Abbott. They've struggled for several years after their title run.

Suprise score of the East
Not avalon scoring 47 but Abbott only managing 7 total points.
Has the Crawford regime ran its course at Abbott. They've struggled for several years after their title run.[/quote]
Rabbits have to hibernate sometime,,,,

51eleven":2tn6f1hq said:
A few other scores I found of interest, not all truly upsets.

Baird favored by 9 over Sands, they won by 45. Welcome to sixman.
Follett favored by 45 over Claude. Claude won by 50.
Milford favored by 45 over Gorman won by 24.
Stephenville Faith favored by 45 over Rochelle. Rochelle won by 27.
Throckmorton favored by 45 over North Side lost 33-30.
Jonesboro, a 5 point underdog to Newcastle, won by 18.
Lometa favored to 45 Lingleville won by 21.
Oakwood favored by 45 over Huntsville Alpha Omega won by 26.
Richland Springs favored by 18 over May covered the spread winning by 21, but they didn't 45 them as at least one poster predicted.
Strawn scored first, then went up 24-8. Borden County came back to make it 24-22 near the end of the half. Then the last play of the half turned in to 3 plays as Strawn committed 2 straight penalties and BC made a field goal on the 3rd try to go up 26-24. Though the Hounds did get a safety in the second half the Coyotes pulled away to win by 29. I was afraid it could have been worse. Almost a whole new starting team for SHS. BC had to have had revenge in mind after getting shut out 50-0 last year. Hat's off to them.
Finally, in what had to be one of the best games of opening weekend, High Island was favored by 15 over Seguin Lifegate. They won 55-54.

Rochelle win on paper looks good and I’m sure it felt good down there. But I noticed that they had the ineligible players ( or should be considered ineligible anyway) in the game so my question is- does it still count as a win? I mean everyone from school board to lunch lady knows where those boys really live. So how is this being allowed? We would have had a team at lohn a decent one too if that administration had not decided to entice two of our players back to Rochelle. I even text a board member asking this and was told it’s not my job to question where they live!!! I threatened to go to news paper and was told go ahead my wife’s the editor, good luck!!! I pass their house every day and they still there!! So stephenville faith should be 1-0 I think

For me it's:
Ira 50 Crowell 0
Waco Methodist 44 Gordon 41
Water Valley 53 Robert Lee 8
Northside 33 Throckmorton 30
Claude 56 Follett 6
Avalon 42 Abbott 7
Valley 50 Morton 0

If the family of these boys have not moved every bit of furniture and possessions out of the other school district, then technically those kids are ineligible in the new district they supposedly reside in. The chairman of the district executive committee should be the one to check along with the superintendent from the old and new school district. They are the responsible parties. Everything should be on the up and up.

Kramer":1lxhqrek said:
Has the Crawford regime ran its course at Abbott. They've struggled for several years after their title run.

I wouldn't be to quick to question T.C. or the future of the Crawford regime. A lot of times young teams look like young teams early in the season. I was at the game in Avalon and the panthers had moments when they looked good, then they had moments when their youth seemed to shined thru. I have no doubt that the Crawford regime can, and will, right the ship and the team might look a little different after 3 or 4 more weeks.

Little Doc":1b1jmi7u said:
If the family of these boys have not moved every bit of furniture and possessions out of the other school district, then technically those kids are ineligible in the new district they supposedly reside in. The chairman of the district executive committee should be the one to check along with the superintendent from the old and new school district. They are the responsible parties. Everything should be on the up and up.

I assure u it most definitely is not on the up and up, those boys never moved and are just hoping to get thru the seniors last season. The principal is lying to people saying he inspected old residence and they had all moved out. Not true at all. Players are being told UIL signed off and approved them, is that even a thing? Lies and manipulation all over Rochelle ISD

Back