UIL State Executive Committee to Meet (Hermleigh)

Mike

Six-man master
Administrator
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AUSTIN, Texas
— The State Executive Committee of the University Interscholastic League will convene at 9:00 a.m. Thursday, September 9, via teleconference to determine the eligibility of student-athletes. It will be available Live on the UIL State Executive Committee Page. Please note that there is no physical location for this meeting in order to ensure safe social distancing, and it is only accessible via the live stream.

A schedule of Thursday’s hearing follows:

Hearing (AA-BB)
9:00 a.m. - AA. - Hermleigh High School: Appeal of District 14-1A Executive Committee Decision Regarding Eligibility of a Student-Athlete, Section 443, Changing Schools for Athletic Purposes.

The State Executive Committee meeting is an open meeting, and all interested parties are welcome to follow online.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AUSTIN, TX — The State Executive Committee of the University Interscholastic League met Thursday to hand down decisions on eligibility of student-athletes.

A student-athlete from Hermleigh High School, [was] denied an appeal for varsity eligibility, upholding the previous ruling of the district executive committee.

When a kid is denied at new school can he go back to old school and play? What are their options?

That's a good question that I, unfortunately, don't have an answer for. Hopefully someone else will chime in who knows the correct answer to that question.

My thinking would be that if they tried to go back, they'd be a transfer student again and would have to start the entire process again.

It depends on the circumstance and we all know in 1A their are some crazy things that happen. Without getting into much detail, you do have split parents, some that want control over every aspect. Luckily that is a rare thing, but it obviously still happens.

one example, and I could be wrong, was the Brookesmith kid that was looking at Richland but ended up at May. That seemed fishy.

Where I am from, if we had any kids move out of town to Canadian or Pampa, they would be ineligible for a year at that school. My older brother did this in 98’, but was granted eligibility when he went back to Miami (because that’s where our residence was.

if he lived in Pampa or Canadian, and went to Miami in elementary or even JH he would be fine. But if he made the choice to go to Pampa and then tried transferring to Miami, he would be ineligible due to not living in the same county.

some get waivers, some don’t. But I’m pretty sure this is how it works.

I had a unique situation the other year. I was at a rural school. School was in the middle of the country with towns of 500 or less down the road about 5 miles each direction that both fed to our school. Our district lines were drawn really weird due to a bigger school being about 10 miles away in the same county. We had a kid who moved in his Junior year and was homeschooled. Senior year he decides to enroll. Kid lives just outside of our feeder town on the south end of our district. However, the line they drew for the district is 50 feet from their property line, on the wrong side. Kid is ruled ineligible and denied Resident Waiver. Appeal Denied.

Back