UIL Reclassification and Realignment Information

Sad to say but a lot of districts have two decent teams and some homecoming candidates. Not that
way in district 8 in D1. I feel for every team in the district. The two reps from that district will be
more than battle tested.

Last edited:
For my 2 cents worth (and perhaps overpriced at that), I'd prefer a 6 team district over a 4 team district. Problem with 4 team districts is you have to make it to week 8 healthy because you can be 7-0 but if you lose those last 3, you're sitting at home. At least with a larger district, there are more games that "mean something." I'm not sure that UIL shouldn't go to 8 districts and take 4 teams from each district.

For my 2 cents worth (and perhaps overpriced at that), I'd prefer a 6 team district over a 4 team district. Problem with 4 team districts is you have to make it to week 8 healthy because you can be 7-0 but if you lose those last 3, you're sitting at home. At least with a larger district, there are more games that "mean something." I'm not sure that UIL shouldn't go to 8 districts and take 4 teams from each district.
Your 8 team district proposal might require much more travel just to compete for district, especially in certain areas of west and east Texas. The main issue I see is the lack of competitive teams in Division 2, especially in Region 3 and 4. Region 3 doesn't have a single program capable of challenging Richland Springs while Region 4 isn't much better. What does it take to motivate some of those lackluster programs to do better?

My gripe isn't with who's in what district, it's with how they threw the regions together. And I may not really have a gripe. It's just that for years the realignment was done from the farthest north, then down south, then the same with those regions being 1,2,3,4 respectively. It appears that, new for this year, we are doing farthest north, farthest north then then down south. If you look at the new district 13 in the East, every school is West of HWY 183. In the West they have district 8 where every school is East of HWY 183. When they start the playoffs they will be passing each other on I-20 going opposite directions. So it's pretty obvious that the old "East" vs. "West" thing is dead and now it's back to 1861 and North vs. South.

Last edited:
Obvious that the UIL is forcing some schools to win district that have probably never won a district championship(recent memory). Division 2 District 14 has Moran, Paint Rock, Rising Star and Panther Creek squaring off. Only Panther Creek has had real success but that was over 20 years ago. May be this new alignment will jump start Panther Creek again. Division 2 District 15 Has Blanket, Gustine, Mullin, Sidney and Zephyr, the Motley crew of six man. I see some of these games tied at the end of regulation and at the end of overtime play too. Do coin flips still count or will one of those teams step up? Sidney? Mullin? A gambler's pair of dice or paradise?

Most scheduling problems can be easily solved, but it's hard to set a schedule when teams just flat out don't want to play other teams.
We have big issues like this in Illinois. @Old Bearkat can likely back me up on this point. Teams are jumping conferences all the time for a competitive advantage, and in some cases if you're too good the other members may vote out or kick out a school that wins too much.

We have big issues like this in Illinois. @Old Bearkat can likely back me up on this point. Teams are jumping conferences all the time for a competitive advantage, and in some cases if you're too good the other members may vote out or kick out a school that wins too much.
Yep. Big difference here is that the public and private schools all compete for the same state titles. JCA and Providence have both won close to 15 state championships apiece.

Yep. Big difference here is that the public and private schools all compete for the same state titles. JCA and Providence have both won close to 15 state championships apiece.
Yep. Private school numbers, school wise and enrollment wise, outside of a few are declining here fast.

Yep. Private school numbers, school wise and enrollment wise, outside of a few are declining here fast.
With the insanity the teacher's unions are displaying right now, private and parochial school enrollments are exploding, especially at the protestant parochials who have defied Gov. Putzger. My wife is teaching at a Baptist K-12 in Channahon that has doubled its enrollment from 2020-21 to 2021-22.

Obvious that the UIL is forcing some schools to win district that have probably never won a district championship(recent memory). Division 2 District 14 has Moran, Paint Rock, Rising Star and Panther Creek squaring off. Only Panther Creek has had real success but that was over 20 years ago. May be this new alignment will jump start Panther Creek again. Division 2 District 15 Has Blanket, Gustine, Mullin, Sidney and Zephyr, the Motley crew of six man. I see some of these games tied at the end of regulation and at the end of overtime play too. Do coin flips still count or will one of those teams step up? Sidney? Mullin? A gambler's pair of dice or paradise?

Moran was second in district in 2016 and 2017, lost to Strawn both years. Lost to Panther Creek in bi-district in 16, beat them in bi-district in 17.

How long has it been since Strawn has been in the west?
I don't know, have they ever? For years before the spilt to DI/DII they were in a district with Gordon, Bryson and Newcastle but still faced RS in the semi, IE, East in 2003. Seem's like Moran at times, which isn't east of much of anything, termed west.
Looking at the realignment I wonder what does MC bring back, Jayton? Richards graduated, Strawn lost 10. Still maybe a chance of a SHS-MC rematch in the DII Regional/QF this year? Don't know much about further west, Balmoreah again if Jones never retires? If RS is it's usual self I don't see much stopping them in the east. Likely there will be a few surprises as in many years.

I loved playing when there was one division and we had an 8 team district. However, it would require the merging of D2 and D1 in my opinion. Maybe an option would be to have the top 2 D2 teams and top 2 D1 teams go to the playoffs in a merger scenario was to happen. That way you could keep 2 divisions.

I do miss the days of the top 2 going with just one division. The playoffs seemed more competitive in my opinion.

It will never happen but like I said, I sure do miss that format.

Back