UIL realignment list

donhardin":2iguhtjf said:
COOLIDGE HS ?
DARROUZETT HS ?
FRUITVALE HS ?

At some point in time I had Coolidge with 68.5. Not sure of accuracy Orr even how I got the number but I do have that number.

I have nothing on Darrouzett or Fruitvale.

Don Hardin
Abilene

Don -- I was figurin' that Fruitvale and Coolidge were above 55; Darrouzett relatively small (somewhere we have an 82 number for them, but it might include elementary grades). Assuming all the numbers are what was turned into UIL (who will release those numbers later), AND that Fruitvale is above 53 and Darrouzette is under 52, the break is at 53.0 students.

But, there are four schools at 53, the break is between the first and second school (so the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th school at that number are below the line. If I were UIL, I'd bring all four into D2 -- thinking that D2 is more likely to lose a school or two beccause of numbers, school closing, etc. than the larger D1 schools ... so I would guess the break number between D1/D2 would be 53.5.

I would dearly love to see a few more teams in D2 for that very reason. Someone, no matter how good their intentions are, will not complete the season because of injuries or grades or both.

Just one man's opinion that had to look up how to spell UIL.

Don Hardin
Abilene

We should start a two part pool.

1) How much longer before BV and Grandfalls merge?
2) How much longer will Benjamin keep a high school?

High Plains Drifter":22rgg92c said:
Heard a while back that GF was going under, but have not heard anything lately. Who knows?

I would have thought that with the comeback of all the oil patch activity some of these little towns would ahve gotten a few new families, but my brother twlls me most of his hands live in Midland or Odessa with a sizeable minority from Ft. Stockton and Pecos. His office is in Ft. Stockton, but he prefers to live in Sheffield.

Old Bearkat":uod57fl5 said:
High Plains Drifter":uod57fl5 said:
Heard a while back that GF was going under, but have not heard anything lately. Who knows?

I would have thought that with the comeback of all the oil patch activity some of these little towns would ahve gotten a few new families, but my brother twlls me most of his hands live in Midland or Odessa with a sizeable minority from Ft. Stockton and Pecos. His office is in Ft. Stockton, but he prefers to live in Sheffield.

I read somewhere that Pecos is one of the top 5 growing "small" towns in the country. Who ever wrote the story must be a Yankee from NYC.

I remember back in 2001 or so when we bought the bleachers from Buena Vista that the folks there told us that their district was doing okay financially because of the tax revenue from the windfarms; G-R seems to be doing well from oil revenues ... just sounds like the problem is getting folks to live in the district.

Seems when I read the post about Novice closing their high school, the comment was made that TEA has a problem when a district has less than a certain number of students (75 or 80, all grades) and makes it difficult for that district to continue, at least as a PK-12 district.

The problem BV has, and am sure Grandfalls does also, is the tremendous amount of money they have to send to the state. It is ridiculous. Sanderson had the same or has same problem, but they have done a lot of construction and somehow if you do that you do not have to send as much.

Again, the "smart folks" in Austin would like to have only 5A size schools where students can have all these "opportunites". Of course the fly in the ointment is small schools do a better job of education than do the larger ones. That and all of these things that government calls for but does not include the dinero is fund them.

Sqeeek, the soap box goes back under the table.

That's the killer item most folks did not think about when they ceded control of the schools to the state and federal 'crats back in the 40's.

High Plains Drifter":39lh0u2k said:
Again, the "smart folks" in Austin would like to have only 5A size schools where students can have all these "opportunites". Of course the fly in the ointment is small schools do a better job of education than do the larger ones. That and all of these things that government calls for but does not include the dinero is fund them.

You mean the same "smart folks" at TEA and at aforesaid metro and other large 5A districts (aka "Assistant Superindentents" and other bureaucrats) who couldn't find a classroom with a map, GPS system or a guide dog?

Ok, I was bored so here's my take on what the new districts MIGHT look like.

EDIT: Wrong # for Follett, they move to D2

Here's Division 1

School Enr
MIAMI HS 56
TURKEY VALLEY HS 73
MCLEAN HS 54
PADUCAH HS 56

HART HS 74
HAPPY HS 62
KRESS HS 69
NAZARETH HS 60

PETERSBURG HS 70
ANTON HS 54
LUBBOCK HARMONY SCIENCE ACADEMY 82
WHITEFACE HS 76

CROWELL HS 75
THROCKMORTON HS 58
SPUR HS 74
KNOX CITY HS 65

ROPESVILLE ROPES HS 94
MEADOW HS 78
ODONNELL HS 70
GAIL BORDEN COUNTY HS 57

LENORAH GRADY HS 72
LAMESA KLONDIKE HS 65
IRA HS 75
GARDEN CITY HS 87

MARFA HS 98
FORT DAVIS HS 67
STERLING CITY HS 62
WATER VALLEY HS 98

EDEN HS 68
VERIBEST HS 66
PAINT ROCK HS 57
ROCHELLE HS 70

ROSCOE HIGHLAND HS 65
HERMLEIGH HS 64
ROTAN HS 96
HASKELL PAINT CREEK HS 54

GORDON HS 71
SAINT JO HS 84
IRVING UNIVERSAL ACADEMY 71
BRYSON HS 61

SANTA ANNA HS 71
MAY HS 70
ZEPHYR HS 69
LOMETA HS 87

WALNUT SPRINGS HS 57
LINGLEVILLE HS 64
GUSTINE HS 68
EVANT HS 60

BLUM HS 94
WAXAHACHIE ADVANTAGE ACADEMY 85
AVALON HS 82
COVINGTON HS 73
KOPPERL HS 64

COOLIDGE HS 63
ABBOTT HS 97
AQUILLA HS 91
BYNUM HS 75
MOUNT CALM HS 70
PENELOPE HS 54

CAMPBELLHS 95
SAVOYHS 94
BLOOMBURG HS 68
FRUITVALE HS 99
LADONIA FANNINDEL HS 57
LAIRD HILL LEVERETTS CHAPEL HS 55

APPLE SPRINGS HS 75
OAKWOOD HS 59
HIGH ISLAND HS 65
BUCKHOLTSHS 59

Here's Division 2

EDIT: Had wrong # for Follett should be 52 which puts them in D2

School Enr
HIGGINS HS 33
DARROUZETT HS 45
Follett 52
LEFORS HS 38
GROOM HS 38

VERNON NORTHSIDE HS 50
CHILLICOTHE HS 48
HEDLEY HS 35
HARROLD HS 32

MATADOR MOTLEY COUNTY HS 48
SILVERTON HS 45
GUTHRIE HS 30
AFTON PATTON SPRINGS HS 25

AMHERST HS 47
WHITHARRAL HS 47
LAZBUDDIE HS 44
COTTON CENTER HS 29

SOUTHLAND HS 50
LORENZO HS 46
NEW HOME HS 53
WILSON HS 38

WELLMAN UNION HS 49
WELCH DAWSON HS 45
ACKERLY SANDS HS 42
LOOP HS 32

ASPERMONT HS 52
JAYTON HS 45
RULE HS 45
BENJAMIN HS 11

NEWCASTLE HS 45
WOODSON HS 42
FORESTBURG HS 46
BOWIE GOLD-BURG HS 35

MILFORD HS 47
TRINIDAD HS 44.5
KARNACK HS 44
CHESTER HS 50
CALVERT HS 43

JONESBORO HS 48
IREDELL HS 34
CRANFILLS GAP HS 32
MORGAN HS 30
OGLESBY HS 45

PRAIRIE LEA HS 53
CHEROKEE HS 45
RICHLAND SPRINGS HS 38
STAR HS 26

BLANKET HS 45
RISING STAR HS 50
SIDNEY HS 32
MULLIN HS 42

TRENT HS 47
LUEDERS AVOCA HS 32
STRAWN HS 45
MORAN HS 40

BLACKWELL HS 48
VALERA PANTHER CREEK HS 42
BROOKESMITH HS 46
LOHN HS 39

RANKIN HS 53
WESTBROOK HS 53
LORAINE HS 45
ROBERT LEE HS 42

BALMORHEA HS 46
IMPERIAL BUENA VISTA HS 31
SANDERSON HS 31
GRANDFALLS ROYALTY HS 28
DELL CITY HS 25
SIERRA BLANCA HS 43

BuffaloPeteEx":xfr3p0ql said:
What do you think the "# of Grades" column represents on the UIL list?

Just skimming through the list, the following looked odd:

Anton HS - 2
Loop HS - 2
Mount Calm HS - 3

At first glace, I thought it might represent the number of grades in the High School (as described in the "Formula" section at the bottom of page 2 of the below document). However, that does not appear to be the case...

http://www.uiltexas.org/files/policy/RR ... 012-14.pdf

Any ideas?

Item #4 on page 1 explains Anton & Loop calculations by using 9 & 10 doubled.

Item #4 Schools with an enrollment of 99.9 or lower may choose to participate in six-man football or may opt to play
eleven-man football but remain in the smaller division for basketball and spring meet (see #7 below). Schools
choosing to participate in six-man football may submit enrollment figures by any one of the following
combinations of grades: grades 9, 10, 11 and 12; grades 8, 9, 10 and 11; grades 7, 8, 9 and 10; or grades 9 and
10 doubled.

Under FORMULAS on page 3, Item #4, Mount Calm probably used the 3 grades multiplied by 1.33 since they are a NEW high school.

Item #4 New schools:
Schools opening or entering competition in the first year of an alignment period will have their conference
placement determined by the following procedure:
a. Opening or entering with 1 grade: Enrollment (projected or actual) multiplied by 2
b. Opening or entering with 2 grades: Enrollment (projected or actual) multiplied by 1.33
c. Opening or entering with 3 grades: Enrollment (projected or actual) multiplied by 1.33
d. Opening or entering with 4 grades: Enrollment (projected or actual)

Back