Top players in school history

Old Bearkat...It was probably 1978. I do know that the football coach at the time was Richard Gibson. By the time I played it was coach McMillan who had come from Marathon after winning a State Championship there. To be honest, I don’t even know if those two men are even with us anymore. I hope they are!

Making a list like this is a good way to make someone mad! You always forget one, or the list starts in a younger person's lifetime. Since RS six-man did not start until 1979, there would be an 11-man list, and a six-man list. I may make a list of each. Or maybe 5 of each.
There were 2 players of almost equal ability on the 1954 RS team. One being J.D. Smith, who actually played fullback in high school, but when he was given a scholarship to Rice University, they made an offensive tackle out of him. After being all-Southwest Conference, he was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles and was a starter on the 1960 NFL Championship team. His high school team mate,Thurman Terry, who was an offensive lineman in high school, also went to Rice University. He happened to be drafted by the Baltimore Colts. Baltimore was the reigning NFL championship team who had a great offensive line in place. Thurman was cut from the team, went to his chosen field of teaching, and did not pursue professional football. Gary Pearce was another member of the 1954 team who was outstanding at the quarterback position. He could pass and run with the best, but was playing with a severe back injury in the 1954 playoff game.
Some other Stand-outs in the 40's,50's and 60's
Wendell Vardeman
Charles Beakley
Johnny Evans Jr.
Vernon Adams
Pete Sloan
Frank Green
Mike Fitzgerald
Pepper Wells
Ricky Lusty

Six-man Players
Bucky Lusty
Wiley Cummings
Jordan Hicks
Daniel Fowler
Jared Hicks
Pablo Avila
Tyler Fox
Logan Lewis
Tyler Ethridge
Mark Williams
Haustin Burkhart
Denim Reeves
Chance Bush
Walker Tippie
Hutton Lusty
And there are some more "Best Players", but this is my list. (until I think it over)

Johnny South":21fqlhjy said:
Making a list like this is a good way to make someone mad! You always forget one, or the list starts in a younger person's lifetime. Since RS six-man did not start until 1979, there would be an 11-man list, and a six-man list. I may make a list of each. Or maybe 5 of each.
There were 2 players of almost equal ability on the 1954 RS team. One being J.D. Smith, who actually played fullback in high school, but when he was given a scholarship to Rice University, they made an offensive tackle out of him. After being all-Southwest Conference, he was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles and was a starter on the 1960 NFL Championship team. His high school team mate,Thurman Terry, who was an offensive lineman in high school, also went to Rice University. He happened to be drafted by the Baltimore Colts. Baltimore was the reigning NFL championship team who had a great offensive line in place. Thurman was cut from the team, went to his chosen field of teaching, and did not pursue professional football. Gary Pearce was another member of the 1954 team who was outstanding at the quarterback position. He could pass and run with the best, but was playing with a severe back injury in the 1954 playoff game.
Some other Stand-outs in the 50's and 60's
Vernon Adams
Pete Sloan
Frank Green
Mike Fitzgerald
Pepper Wells
Ricky Lusty

Six-man Players
Bucky Lusty
Wiley Cummings
Jordan Hicks
Daniel Fowler
Jared Hicks
Pablo Avila
Tyler Fox
Logan Lewis
Tyler Ethridge
Mark Williams
Haustin Burkhart
Denim Reeves
Chance Bush
Walker Tippie
Hutton Lusty
And there are some more "Best Players", but this is my list. (until I think it over)

I was gonna say I'm no Goob or Smokey Joe but I'd have to add Pablo Avila and Haustin Burkhart to the earlier list regarding the last 15 years. Reeves and Bush definitely belong. Tippie might be close to the top with TE.

No one's mentioned Strawn yet and I'm certainly not the most qualified to do so but here's a few to pick and choose from in no particular order from the last 20 years. BTW, Thanks guys, you and your team mates did way more than I ever dreamed of at that age and it's sure been fun to watch. Shane Mallory, Harry Nowak, Trey Doyle, Johnny Abbott, Jonathan Parsons, Jonathan Lindsey, Clifton Baker, Derek Hinkson, Zach Mallory, Carlos Villanueva, Ivan Ruiz, Tanner Hodgkins, Julian Fraga, JW Montgomery... guess I'm past 10, Parker Purvis. Like I said, and your team mates, even those who seldom or never played but still came to practice.

I realize as Johnny South mentioned regarding RS this does not encompass say Strawn's 1979 team that lost to Milford in the semi final by 17 with Nelson Cambell coaching them. Or the undefeated 68-69 teams, before there was a state championship for six man.

Please define "Top Players in History" and then we can start making list.

Are we talking wins, touchdowns, playoff appearances, tackles, most 45's, most quarters played, most touchdown runs, most all-state honors, most kickoff TD returns, etc?????

When people normally start listing "top players" or "greatest of all time", they list their favorites and only the ones they here about in the media.
I know some players on teams that made enormous impacts on their teams, but you never seen them scoring TD's or you never saw their names in the paper.

Pendant: Two people won state championships at Marathon. Paul Pasqua and Vance Jones. I have never heard of the guy you mentioned. Maybe he was an assistant coach. Coach McMillan ?

I think that each person's definition of "top player" may be a little different. My definition would take into consideration the player's passion for the game. Was he there because he really loved the game? or because his friends were doing it, or Dad made him go? Did he have the athletic ability to be above and beyond the average player? Could he play any position on the field, and be outstanding in that position? An offensive standout, a defensive standout, special teams player, a leader on and off the field, a person of respect. A kid who, in the old days, did not mind walking a few miles to and from practice, and if he did not have a ride home after a game, would walk home several miles at night. This top player has to have "heart". I believe that when you run across a kid with some of these traits, they will also be the one who leads in most of the statistical categories. They will also be the ones who are outstanding on the basketball court and the track and field. In other words, they will be an athlete.
PS- I have seen kids with all of the attributes except for the athletic ability. They can be a great asset to the team just because of their heart and try. They have the passion, but are just a little short on ability.

Pedant1969":26jft1rj said:
Old Bearkat...It was probably 1978. I do know that the football coach at the time was Richard Gibson. By the time I played it was coach McMillan who had come from Marathon after winning a State Championship there. To be honest, I don’t even know if those two men are even with us anymore. I hope they are!

Richard Gibson is (last I heard he was up around Grady still) - ran that butt-to-butt offense lol I have the 1976 Grady v Whitharral game film funny to see that. Gibson was from Toyah, TX. And HPD is right if "McMillan" was at Marathon he was not a head football coach that won a state title

Bill O'Rielly":36sue66b said:
Please define "Top Players in History" and then we can start making list.

Are we talking wins, touchdowns, playoff appearances, tackles, most 45's, most quarters played, most touchdown runs, most all-state honors, most kickoff TD returns, etc?????

When people normally start listing "top players" or "greatest of all time", they list their favorites and only the ones they here about in the media.
I know some players on teams that made enormous impacts on their teams, but you never seen them scoring TD's or you never saw their names in the paper.

It is your opinion there is no right or wrong answers. This would be a great time to mention those players from all schools that didn’t score a lot and went unnamed in the paper

Savoy hasnt been in sixman long and not a bigtime school, but would like to hear some opinions on this topic. I am a little biased so i wont comment on the top 10.

Rule ISD- Top 10 six man players

1. Emery Dudensing
2. Jody Harvey
3. Cj Saucedo
4. Stephen Pace
5. Keith Vanderbilt
6. Kolt Kittley
7.Cody Tibbits
8. Brian Lehrmann
9. Kade Kittley
10. Jay Louder

TruckerTony_1987":1feer0ql said:
Rule ISD- Top 10 six man players

1. Emery Dudensing
2. Jody Harvey
3. Cj Saucedo
4. Stephen Pace
5. Keith Vanderbilt
6. Kolt Kittley
7.Cody Tibbits
8. Brian Lehrmann
9. Kade Kittley
10. Jay Louder

WOW Art Briles doesn't crack the top 10!

51eleven":3gt2h50n said:
I think Rule was still 11 man when Briles was there. In fact I think he led them to state but they lost.

That is correct. Rule was defeated by Big Sandy in the 72 State game. Art Briles VS. Former Bears Coach Lovie Smith. Rule didn't start playing 6 man until the 82 season. My list was strictly six man players. If you count the 11 man guys it would look a lot different.

Back