Too Many Cancellations!

Johnny South

Six-man pro
When is the UIL going to wake up and pay attention to all of the open dates that our schools are faced with? There are too many marginal teams(low numbers,weak teams,etc.) that cancel out on schools at the last minute making it impossible to find a replacement game.

And how about the stronger teams that no one wants to play? Wake up uil and combine these 4 team districts so that the districts will be 8 and 9 team districts. Then the schools will only have to find a couple of outside games.

There will be no difference in the playoffs or money for the UIL as they would take 4 teams to the playoffs instead of the current 2 teams.

How about it? Does anyone have any influence in Austin? If you do, get the ball rolling! This current setup is rediculous!

And how about the stronger teams that no one wants to play? Wake up uil and combine these 4 team districts so that the districts will be 8 and 9 team districts. Then the schools will only have to find a couple of outside games. (Johnny South)

This part of your post is interesting, because without calling anyone out these stronger teams you speak of bow down when called out, by what they perceive to be a stronger opponent you would be surprised what goes on in those conversations, I will leave it at that.

The cancellations you are right hurt all the programs, but some of it is unavoidable .

The cancellations are still rolling in. Eight team districts would solve the whole, entire, collective, stinking problem!!!!

We would now be in district play!

When I was in school we had a six team district. And some of the teams that didn't make playoffs where better than some dis with four. I really don't know how you would fix this other than only having one division which probably won't happen bc to many small schools will never have a chance. Or unless the UIL starts to give penalties to schools who do drop at the last moment.

Leman Saunders":jbbzqzyh said:
wont happen unless you get ride of the division split...and that aint going to happen...people fought to hard for it.

No,No. You can keep the split. Eight team districts instead of four. Then take four to the playoffs instead of the current two. No difference except to relieve the scheduling hassle.

This won't solve the problem of teams cancelling games because of low numbers.
If a team doesn't have enough to play it doesn't matter what type of game it is, they will cancel.
Now if it's a district game and everyone is playing district games, then there won't be anybody to fill that cancelled game.

I would like more district games though.

I agree with what everyone is saying about making districts larger. Sure would make scheduling easier and make it harder to back out of games and leave a school hanging to find another game. Play your games and quit trying to find a way out just because the prior coach made a schedule you don't like.

There are also Game Contracts that can be signed, with monetary punishment to the schools that cancel. Not many (if any) teams use them. But, they can be used, and if a school won't sign then you don't need to schedule them in the first place, IMO. Personally, I haven't used them and a couple of times I have had teams cancel. I really can't justify punishing a school monetarily if they don't have the numbers, but I would if they just cancelled then played another game against someone else.

I agree with Coach Brand. I do like 8-9 team districts and taking 4 playoff teams like 2-6A, but realistically it doesn't solve the issue. I would doubt these teams are intentionally dodging the teams they agreed to play when they set their schedule. Its most likely a matter of injury, sickness, and low numbers. So the cancellations would just be on a district opponent rather than a non-district opponent. You can rearrange the teams that are going to cancel but they will still cancel. Like Coach Brand said, that then would make it very difficult to fill an opening during district play. So now weeks 3-11 would be next to impossible to fill since everyone is in district play, unless you have home schools and tapps teams readily available.

I like the idea of the game contracts. The UIL should require this for all divisions. Regardless of the reason for the cancellation, there should be some monetary penalty against the team backing out. If there was, there would probably less cancellations. I agree, some teams may not have the numbers, but you should still have to have some penalty. Just an opinion.

Little Doc":216qfai9 said:
I like the idea of the game contracts. The UIL should require this for all divisions. Regardless of the reason for the cancellation, there should be some monetary penalty against the team backing out. If there was, there would probably less cancellations. I agree, some teams may not have the numbers, but you should still have to have some penalty. Just an opinion.

So you're telling me if a team with 6-9 kids wants to play and grades/injuries/illness comes up, and now has 5 healthy kids. You're going to tax their school district? You're going to kill the football teams at those schools. Which means you will have those kids transfer, which now takes money away from those districts and will kill those tiny schools.

Having 8 team districts would definitely make scheduling easier for teams.. Its alot easier for Borden Co. to find three games than it is for them to find 6

Just so we are clear Oldiebutgoodie, that's exactly what I mean. Put your big boy pants on and play the game or pay the penalty. If you're getting 45'd every week, quit hunting excuses.

Little Doc":3bvh8jw2 said:
Just so we are clear Oldiebutgoodie, that's exactly what I mean. Put your big boy pants on and play the game or pay the penalty. If you're getting 45'd every week, quit hunting excuses.

Gotcha! I'm just saying that if you say "hey, all my kids are hurt" you don't get fined, right? So, everyone will say "hey we have too many out", right? " Even if they are just dodging games. You can't prove intent to dodge.
PLUS I signed one of those things once with a Christian School, because people cancelled on them all the time apparently.Then they called me 2 weeks before the season started and canceled on me!!! Those "contracts" are not legally binding and have no real authority in a court of law. Meaning you're adding paperwork without reason.
But I'm from the law of shake a mans hand look him in the eye and say what you mean.

Oldiebutagoodie":3mqbu6vm said:
Little Doc":3mqbu6vm said:

Gotcha! I'm just saying that if you say "hey, all my kids are hurt" you don't get fined, right? So, everyone will say "hey we have too many out", right? " Even if they are just dodging games. You can't prove intent to dodge.
PLUS I signed one of those things once with a Christian School, because people cancelled on them all the time apparently.Then they called me 2 weeks before the season started and canceled on me!!! Those "contracts" are not legally binding and have no real authority in a court of law. Meaning you're adding paperwork without reason.
But I'm from the law of shake a mans hand look him in the eye and say what you mean.

Are you sure?

Jones26":3bguesy0 said:
Oldiebutagoodie":3bguesy0 said:
Little Doc":3bguesy0 said:

Are you sure?

Can I say 100% from experience no. Not a lawyer. I will say based on a conversation with my college roommate ( an actual lawyer) that I'm pretty darn sure.

Currently there are 16 districts in each division. Most districts have 4 teams with a few having 5. You could combine this down to 8 districts with 8 or 9 teams in each. Take top 4 to the playoffs would make more district games and better teams in the playoffs. (Much like the area track meets).

Back